“very average”
Review of Majliss Hotel

Majliss Hotel
Ranked #32 of 49 Rabat B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Were a bit disapointed -The hotel location is quite Ok, but - You will meet small rooms, small beds, low maintenance, but quite good meals.....If you can, pick another alternative..there are some in the vicinity .Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pazitush

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This property is rated as four star, which was not the impression we got. Small room, a bit worn out, decent breakfast but nothing to impress. The location is great, next to the train station and the main street, yet very quiet. You can walk from here to everywhere in Rabat if you are the kind.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ggabi
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This hotel was simple but well located in Rabat. Nice rooms with small balconies. Elevator very small but hey it's Morocco. Wonderful dinner and breakfast. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Not luxurious but we enjoyed our stay. The room key system wasn't working but they were very helpful letting us in and out of our rooms. The train station was below our room though however it wasn't noisy in the middle of the night. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bev155023
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was the 2nd night on an 8-day mini-bus tour followed by 6-days on our own in Morocco.

If I think about the individual elements of this place, it ranks low. However, I have a good memory of this hotel and would say it was one of the better on the tour. I really hope it wasn't just because they had reliable internet.

The clean rooms were damp-ish and without air conditioning. The food was generally poor but fresh and prepared with care.

Since our luggage arrived 5-days late, having the main street of shops nearby was a blessing.

I do remember an attractive woman sitting in a glass room under the stairs. I imagine she was the concierge but she had no computer and just sat there... motionless and upright... staring straight ahead.. for hours. I'd think she was trapped but, she was in different clothes come the following morning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The lifts are only big enough for one person and their suitcase, so it was necessary to use the stairs a lot. The room was spartan but comfortable and reasonably clean. The hotel is a noisy hotel because there are no sound absorbing carpets on the floor and no wall decorations, so when someone in another room moves a chair to sit at the small table intended to be the dressing table, the whole hotel knows. There was no plug for the wash basin or bath and the shower was a standard hand shower. The buffet dinner was not particularly good; the soup was bland and tasteless while everything else was spiced to the extreme such that you did not know what you were eating which meant most guests filled themselves with the fruits and pastries for desert. The breakfast buffet was just as bad with the coffee undrinkable.

Room Tip: Get a room on the opposite side of the hotel to the railway station otherwise you will be woken by t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Hotel Majliss, in Rabat, was the second hotel we stayed at in a recent trip to Morocco.As with our first hotel it was promoted as 4 star but we were a shrewder consumers this time and had come to a better understanding of the star system in Morocco as being considerably less vigilant than in Canada.From our conversation with others in our group we came to understand that there are two versions of the room set up - one with a balcony and one with a sitting area. Our room included the sitting area and on hind sight I probably would have preferred the balcony. The room decor was beautifully authentic to Moroccan design with rich ruby pillows and decorative accompaniments that made us feel that we might have traveled into a Delacroix painting ( ie Women of Algiers, 1834). Unfortunately the mattress on the bed was the hardest I have ever experienced and I was only able to get a night's sleep as the result of exhaustion from a day of sight seeing.The shower over-flowed, which became a recurring phenomenon in all future Moroccan hotels we stayed at, and was apparently not a source of worry to the hotel management who made no attempt to be helpful.Our arrangements with the hotel included dinner and breakfast buffets. Neither of these was in any way appealing. While some attempt had been made to arrange the food pleasantly the food itself was without merit. It felt more like eating at summer camp than a luxury hotel. At dinner the server brought a large bottle of water to the table which he removed the lid from and graciously filled our glasses. It was a surprise when at the meal's end he demanded payment.I think we would have been pleased to order water if that had been offered and make payment but when it arrived unsolicited it was assumed it was complimentary.Unlike most other hotels we stayed at during our trip, Hotel Majliss does not have a bar or gathering spot other than the always crowded lobby. The elevator is frighteningly small and with just my husband and I and our suitcases it was a squeeze. I would recommend that visitors ask for a room on the lowest floor and use the stairs. As Rabat is the administrative center of the country I suspect this hotel was set-up for the convenience of business travelers and I suggest if your travel is for pleasure there must be something more pleasurable available in the city.

Room Tip: Select a room on the lowest floor possible and avoid using the elevators. Ask for a balcony,
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Last time I stayed in this hotel was 4 years ago. Last week I had a chance to visit Rabat and of course because of my previous experience I have chosen to stay in this hotel again. Amazingly they remembered me after all this time, same crew, same decor, but they were few changes. The first one is that you can have WiFi in your room, that is a great plus. For some reasons the internet gets very slow after 10pm, weird...They got rid of the business center which was a desk with a computer and printer back in 2008. I found it very frustrating because I had some documents to print and scan, and of course I had to find a kinko style shop to do it.
Breakfast is the same a lot of pastries, Moroccan pancakes, fruits, egg station that serve omelets with cheese only, no other ingredients. The waiting was outstanding, a lot of attention to details and provided great care to their customers.
They were 2 elevators, one of them was under construction during my stay. As stated below the elevator was so small that barely fit myself and 2 suitcases. I hope the construction going on the other elevator was to make it bigger.
Overall, it was a happy stay and would recommend it again to anyone visiting Rabat because of its location in the heart of downtown and the outstanding service of its staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo