“Exotic Charm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Rabat
Stuart, Florida
“Exotic Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Truly charming hotel in the old city and a short walk to the Mediterranean Sea. Good food, friendly staff and Moroccan decor. Great location for walking, to the beach, historical buildings and the Medina filled with local color. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TWSJr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Arabic first
Davis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at this beautifully riad for 1 night in October 2012. We had a room on the second floor (the only one without glass door). This room has two levels, when you enter the room there is a small living area with a single bed in front of you (this bed can be functioned as sofa), on the right is the entrance to the bathroom, which was not big but had sufficient space, water was hot and strong. On this level, there is a build-in mud table on the left side of bed and a closet beside it (see my pictures). There are deep steps leading to the second floor, where is the bedroom. It had a big firm bed, nightstands, lamps, TV and a small table ect. It has an open space so you can look down to the first floor (see my picture). WiFi was free and had good reception. The room had pretty traditional Moroccan decoration. It also provided a complementary fruit tray and 2 bottles of water.

The courtyard of this riad is very pretty. Breakfast was served on the roof top terrace, where one can have some city view. For breakfast, we had both western and Moroccan pancakes, bread, butter and verities of jams, juice, coffee and tea, as well as Moroccan yogurt – very tasty. Staffs were friendly and attentive, good service.

This riad is located in the medina, very close to the Kasbah Bab Oudaia. Coming out from riad, turn left and following the alley, 3 minutes late you are in the main alley, from there turn left again to reach the main street. The Bab Oudaia, Musee des Oudaia, andalusian Garden, El Alou cemetery and the Atlantic Ocean are few minutes away.

Highly recommend this riad if you like to stay in the old part of city.

Note:
Ask hotel, or when you booking, to give you a room in one level if you have problems with steps. I saw two other rooms on the 2nd floor are at one level.

The con in our room is, if you need to go to the bathroom at night, you have to go down and up these steep steps.

When you come out to the main alley, look at the sign for this riad, it is above the door of the entrance. Otherwise, it is very easy to get lost when you come back from the sightseeing or shopping.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JaneJ2010
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our trip start on 10/6/12 thru 10/15/12 and this riad was our first one.It was a very good start.Clean, friendly staff and beautiful in each corner.We had dinner here, delicious meal, with a very cozy enviroment and breakfast on the top of the roof.The mint tea and the orange juice in the morning were a "must".Very charming, quiet and elegant place.We loved everything.With the guide was easy to reach the Riad El Kebira but without it is trick because the Medina has small and narrow streets.We cannot thank enough the manager and all staff for the great service.Outside the Riad you find a street for shopping and because it is Rabat, the capital,it tends to be more expensive but very great merchandises. We high recommend this Riad and enjoy your trip. Marcia, Rosi & Pedro from Brazil.

Room Tip: The one in the back on the ground level . Quiet, private, perfect.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Elmira, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

When in Rabat, don't miss the opportunity to stay in the medina in a charming, authentic, intimate dar. Rooms surround a center courtyard and are decorated in Moroccan style. Breakfast is served on the roof top terrace overlooking Rabat. The staff is attentive and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at this Riad from 20th to 24th September and this was the worst place we stayed at in Morocco. We were show to our room on the ground floor in the main Riad area without any natural light except borrowed light from the central court yard that was more like a lounge area. The room was small, very musty and old fashioned. We did know what to expect from a Riad but this was unacceptable, we asked for a transfer to a better room and so went to a room on the first floor this was like being in a museum and the smell wasn't any better. The cost was 139 Euro per night 1660 Dirham when I asked the exchange rate used I was told the rate didn't matter. Breakfast was disappointing and when we complained we were given two pieces of bread, two glasses of orange juice and a few more pancakes. We will not be going again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank Margaret S
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Whilst Riads can be hard to find without your guide they are amazing once you set foot in them.
We were met by the owner who offered Moroccan tea and biscuits, our guide sorted out the formalities.
We were then shown to our room, wonderful.
We had dinner there, delightful.
Breakfast was on the roof terrace.
Nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter G
Islamabad, Pakistan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I visited Morocco Rabat on July 8, 2012. I was their with my 2 daughters to attend Youth Cultural Festival 2012 in sale. My Morocco travelling plan was booked through American Express Travel Services Islamabad Pakistan. I instruct my agent to book 5 Star hotel with all 5 Star facilities for 10 Nights in Rabat Morocco. I paid for this Riad US $ 256 P/Night total US $ 2560 for 10 Nights for 1 Standrad Double + Extra Bed.

Before arriving to this hotel me and my 2 daughters were quite happy that as we will reach to our hotel and we will take a good relaxing quality time relax in our booked 5 Star hotel.
First it was very difficult to locate this hotel. When we contacted them they asked us to park our car on the main road and our representative will be their. We waited for 15 Mints and their representative came to us with a trolly to carry our laggage to the hotel. Time we reached Rabat it was 9 PM and I was not comfortable when they took me on a narrow dirty haunted streets to approach to this hotel, we walked 12 mints in those jigsaw Puzzle Haunted streets to reach to their hotel.

My both the daughters were afraid and grabbed my hands with fear. It was a totally chaos when we entered the hotel. I was shocked when i saw my suite room it was very narrow room and dirty. I didn't find any guest staying in their hotel. Basically it was not a hotel in an old small building they build a guest house with very small room. you dont find any facilities close to 1 star and they claim to be 5 stars.

My daughters started crying as this hotels appears to be Haunted House. After all the tiredness of my travel reaching Morocco and to this hotel i didn't stayed in this hotel and immediately i took my 2 daughters and checked in Hotel Golden Tulip Farah Rabat. This hotel is 4 star hotel but you will find all facilities of 5 star hotel and you will not believe they gave me huge spacious room facing beautiful river view for only US $ 136 P/Night.

Although i have paid for 10 nights to this hotel on second day i went to see Amina to discuss the matter and to take a note letter from here that i didn't stayed at her hotel. i found her very rude and trying to cheat on me. I had a little argument with her and i left her hotel because they are just greedy people and have no respect for their guest. Only they are doing Fraud Business by giving falls updates on website.

On my Return back to my country i made a suit Law case in High Court against American Express Travel Services In Islamabad Pakistan to claim my Full Refund against this Fraud cheater hotel payment i made to them.

So Dear Traveller Dont Visit to this hotel. it will be a total Chaos and you will be mugged.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ehaab786
moulay27, Propriétaire at Riad Dar El Kebira, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Madam,
I found your comment little excessive and not honest. As our name mentions, we are a Riad (traditionnel moroccan guest house) and not a Hotel. However, we are a luxurious Riad, the best in town.
If you requested and wanted to stay in a modern hotel (which i understand), you should have told this to your travel agency. We are not accountable for you having make the wrong choice. The least you could do, is to check through internet the place you have booked!
One last thing, Riads are all located in the Medina and to get access to it, you need to walk through narrow streets. This is morocco!