“Poor, no value for money”

Hotel Transatlantique Meknes
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Meknes
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'm not sure on what basis it's a four star hotel!!!???, the hotel building is very old and not well maintained; having two pools with no kids area; laundry service was not available when I was there; breakfast is very bad and very expensive; there was no currency exchange service; we were big group made the booking based on a morrocan friend recommendtion; two of us left the hotel after spending one night. I think it was good before as per locals feedback; but currently it does really need a complete renewal and pricing policy review....during my trip I used a three star hotels in morroco which were much much better in everything and much cheeper

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WaelSeleem

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Calling this a hotel would almost be comic if its wasn't so pathetic. Stayed here one night as it was one the towns (Meknes) where I had a business meeting and I left the booking to our local partners who advised that is was closeby to where we would have our meeting. In short, the place should be condemned. It reminds me of the old Soviet style of hotel in Russia and the Eastern bloc where everything was dilapidated and served no useful purpose regarding the needs of the clients. I'm not sure why anyone would attribute it with a star rating but this place is owned by a private wealthy family who obviously don't see the need to visit the place once in while to see if it is still standing! In comparative terms other hotels charge the same price, about 80 EUR per night, but these are modern, clean and with internet access unlike the Transatlantique. Don't go near the place. The carpets in the rooms and througout the building are filthy and all the fixtures in the bedroom full of dust. In fact I slept on top of the bed with clothes on. Get the picture?

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I stayed there for 2 nights at the end of 2 wonderful weeks travelling in Morocco with my wife, our daugther and one of her classmate, and staying in some really great places.
That was the end of our trip and I was there to perform at the festival de Volubilis in Meknes. When we arrived the hotel seems of a good standard, it is rated 4 stars and supposedly one of the best in Meknes. But once we passed the lobby the nigthmare started. The rooms were very very old, but mine was worse even with a dirty bathroom. I ran down to the reception and asked for 2 other rooms, but that was not possible untill tomorrow since the hotel was full.
We went to the restaurant upstairs and the carpet was really dirty and when the food came we just left it and walked out.
Fortunately there was another restaurant near the biggest of the 2 pools called Le Bistro and it was really nice so we ate there.
During the night the bed was so bad that we were pulled to the middle of it, finally I took a blanket and a pillow left the bed to my wife and slept on the floor.
The next morning we were given new rooms in a newer part of the hotel, management apologized that it has been a mistake that my party and I were not to have been in this part of the hotel... The new rooms were much better with views over the pool. But still in my opinion not a 4 stars hotel.
The hotel may have been nice in years passed but a real renovation is long passed due.
The wi fi is so bad, that it's basically non existent. You have everyone cramming the lobby trying to get the lousy connection

The front desk staff was very helpful and try their best to make ammends.
The restaurant Le Bistro and the wine bar are quite nice and the staff very friendly.

Room Tip: The hotel has 2 wings even 3 and If you have to stay there insist on a room in the newer wing of the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Hotel Transatlantique claims it is a 4 star hotel but the rooms are really 2 marginal stars. I was really surprised at the quality of the rooms. Dark, dated rooms with old furnishings. There were only 2 small light bulbs -one next to each bed- to light the entire room so it seemed like a cave at night (and sometime during the day.) Basically, it looked like a room from the '70s- dark wood, yellow checked bedspread, poor lighting, and bad paintings.) However, it was clean.

The remote for the tv didn't work and the reception on the tv was poor.

The bathroom was better. It had nice pristine tile and looked like it had been renovated in at least the last few years. However, our shower was broken the whole time and we notified them 3 times, including immediately after we got there. They did nothing to fix it. (there seemed to be a problem with the fitting on the showerhead so that 90% of the water gushed from the showerhead down the cord and 10% trickled out of the showerhead).

The people at reception were fine but spoke limited English. Also, they were not really helpful about sites or getting around. They seemed confused that we wanted to go to the Roman ruins at Volubilis, which is odd since it seemed to be one of the major attractions in the area.  An apparent manager eventually ordered us a grand taxi, which was helpful.

The wifi is really not great. The hotel one never worked so we picked up another one.

The hotel pool was nice relief. Also, the lobby was comfortable and well decorated.

Breakfasts were so-so. Croissants and other pasteries, OJ and coffee.

It does have a nice view of the medina - but the drawback is that you are not close to the medina and it is not easy to pick up taxis there (the desk will call one for you, but it takes awhile.

We got a good deal on this place online ($70/night) so even though it was not what it was billed as, we still were fine overall with our stay. I would just caution people to set their expectations lower.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My friend and I spent $100 Canadian to stay here. First they put us in a really tiny room where the AC barely worked. We were a little surprised, but didn't say anything. We left for the day to do sightseeing and when they came back they moved us into a much, much nicer room.

Breakfast is free, however it is sorely lacking. When we got to the restaurant there were only a few patrons there and the 'buffet style' breakfast looked like it had been picked at thoroughly without replenishment. We wondered if we were in the right place. The orange juice tasted like water was added to it, and the the pain chocolat (croissants) were stale. The coffee was absolutely disgusting and tasted like coffee flavoured water.

Even though they have a few restaurants, it doesn't seem like it. We went to one restaurant, which was closed at the time, but the staff were nice enough to make us sandwiches. There was no real menu so we just had to settle for 'chicken sandwiches', which were better than I expected.

TIP: DO NOT HIRE A GRAND TAXI TO SEE VOLUBILIS FROM THIS HOTEL. The guy at the front desk offered to arrange one for us for 800 dH. We managed to do it for around 400 just by going to the bus station and hiring one of the grand taxis there.

I guess the saving grace of this hotel was that it was well decorated (wasn't as tatty as others described), air conditioned, all taxi drivers know where it is, and there are a couple nice swimming pools.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2008

The Transatlantique is set in beautiful grounds overlooking the old city. It is posible to walk to the old city but it is a fair distance.The room was located in the old wing and had a beautifully tiled floor and private balcony.

The shower was in the bath and had no curtain. Worse still, the showerhead leaked so it sprayed water all over the bathroom. The water was not particularly hot either.

The staff were helpul in arranging a grand taxi for a half day visit to Volubulis.

A computer was located in the reception area for free use by guests.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 3, 2007

We stayed the night of October 22 here. It must have been a good hotel once, the buildings were big, but it now looks elderly and shabby. We had the impression that very little money was spent on maintenance, the furniture was tatty, the carpets were soiled and dirty. Breakfast was very basic. It is nominally a 4 star but is best avoided.

• Stayed: October 2007