Hotel Rif
Hotel Akouas(Meknes)
$41
$39
  • Pool
All reviewsswimming poolnice hotelhotel is locatedelevatorbedsmedina
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This year I had the opportunity to visit Morocco and to spend few days in Meknes. We stayed in hotel Rif that is located in the part of the city with many shops, restaurants, bars etc. There were many tourists on the street and the city was very lively. However, when you want to go to the center, you can take a very cheap taxi. It costs around 1, 50 Eur. One thing that may be also important to know, hotel is namely situated near the mosque, so you should expect early morning prayer but this you can hear everywhere you go. :)

The staff was very amiable. They will help you and try to arrange as many things as possible. There was also a swimming pool that was very clean and we could order a beer. The waiters were very friendly and spend time chatting with us. Hotel has wireless as well.

My room was quite big and what’s most important clean. The beds were also soft and cosy, so I really slept well. Bathroom is separated from the toilet. One thing more, you might get a communicating room. This means that in your bedroom you will have connecting door to your neighbour’s room. You can still lock it and no one will enter. For us it was great because I was traveling with my friends and it was fun going through many doors and stay in a great company.

The breakfast was rich and you could choose between eggs, ham, cheese, croissants, and different kinds of bread with butter or marmalade. You had coffee, orange juice, tee... All the food you can expect in a 4 stars hotel. For the dinner we were served delicious soup, bread and typical Moroccan food. Everything was tasteful and great prepared.

This is one of the hotels, where I really enjoyed my stay. Friendly atmosphere, nice service and smiling staff will make your stay even more memorable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Slavi_12
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The Hotel Rif staff were friendly and helpful, the food in the restaurant was authentic and delicious, the air conditioning was cold when we needed it, the location and neighborhood were very convenient. We appreciated the convenience stores a few doors down- and bought beverages and other things we needed there during our stay. The front desk arranged any thing we needed, and they were always willing and able to help.

The room was fairly small, the fixtures old, the decor was old-style and a little tired, but very clean. Wife worked well- at times slowly.

I didn't notice a pool- so I was surprised to see the photos.

I thought this was a good value, great location, and with the helpful staff, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask the staff to book a room with a view and a visit to the Hammam- you will never forget the experience.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank passportandgo
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This hotel is pleasant and clean, but not really worth the standard price (in May 2012, around 70 EUR per night, breakfast not included).

The swimming pool is not really meant for swimming, as apart from being tiny and surrounded by bar tables, it was never cleaned during one week. As the presence of the swimming pool was one of the major factors behind the choice of this hotel, I was quite frustrated.

The bar is good and they also serve alcohol. We never tried the restaurant so we cannot tell about it, but seen from the outside it seemed good.

Breakfast is very good but it costs 5 extra Euros per person per day: If you just want a hot drink and a croissant, you'd better go to any of the bars nearby and pay a much more reasonable price.

Rooms are nice, although a bit old-style, and they all have a private balcony. Minibar prices are absolutely reasonable - in line with what you would pay at the bar downstairs. There is free wifi and TV with international channels, although their number and the image quality are quite limited. We never managed to make the air conditioning work in our room, but we ever complained, as it was not that hot anyway.

Each guest would receive 2 towels (in other hotels in Morocco we only got one per person) and they are changed every day. In turn, we were only provided one tiny bottle of shampoo and one of shower gel in total (2 guests staying 4 nights). Maybe they would have replaced them when finished, but I preferred to use my own products.

Overall a nice, old-style hotel, but if you want something truly Moroccan you should opt for something else. The fact that they have a swimming pool is misleading as you cannot really swim in it, so if this is the only reason for choosing Rif, you'd better choose another - maybe cheaper - place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Just got back from a trip in Morocco. Stayed at the Hotel Rif. The hotel is located outside the centre but a cheap taxi ride takes you there. I found the hotel to be adequate to good for Morocco. The food was good as was the service. The whole Hotel was clean. The room had new A/C and bathroom. Around the hotel is the usual stuff, Tea rooms, small shops etc when I went and bought a few items they were very present even though I do not speak French and my Spanish is basic. The Bar was OK 8D for a whiskey (treble) and 7up.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheGull
Reviewed July 10, 2011

plus: clean, nice hotel, friendly staff in the lobby, helpful. rooms not small, everything in the rooms was working. only a block away from mainroad and plenty of cafes. dinner 3 out of 5. alkohol available.
negative: since my two friend and myself where on a group tour we had to sit with the group on one tabel /for dinner and breakfast/. despite asking for a table for 3 /in an empty dinning room/, the answer was "no".

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends