“Oaisis of compfort”

Riad Les Jardins Mandaline
Ranked #119 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed in this Riad while on a holiday/business trip to Marrakesh. It was wonderful. It is a delight from the moment you walk through the door. The interior is decorated with unique furniture that has a modern feel together with tradition rugs and accent pieces. The space is open and airy ,done in a traditional Moorish architecture style with arches and open 2 story court yards. The common area has a small pool which was pleasant to float in as well as a space where a nice breakfast was served and we had access to WiFi..
Our room was small but had a comfortable bed , space to unpack our clothes and a nice bathroom. All spaces were kept incredibly clean. It is also very quiet here which was a surprise considering how crazy Marrakesh is.
The roof top terrace was the best part. Full sun all day with tables and lounge chairs and the staff will server beverages that come with tasty olives and nuts.
Everyone was helpful. They directed us to sites to see as well as telling us the best places to go to source various merchandise were there to buy.
When we go back to Marrakesh we will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MarkInElora
There are newer reviews for Riad Les Jardins Mandaline

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Very beautiful and traditional Riad... There is a family feel to the place with very friendly staff.
You are in the center of the old town and can reach the main square in 10 mn, going through the different souks... Little swimming pool, hammam, massage if you wish.. Nice after a long day shopping!
Beautiful terrace, where you can have breakfast in the sun, or escape the busy street of the Medina. Peaceful and quiet inside the Riad...
If you decide to stay for a tagine or a couscous... the food is delicious.
The Riad can also organize to pick up you up from the airport and some different excursions during your stay.
Reasonable price for the high quality.
Highly recommended...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2011

This place looks beautiful, and has been modernised really well, to be as comfortable as possible without losing traditional style. The roof terrace and ground floor pool area are lovely and peaceful to relax. The pool is tiny but lovely to swim in, surrounded by the pretty courtyard and open to the sky. Food is great - we had 2 home cooked evening meals here, plus lovely breakfasts with fresh warm bread. Wine is available. The staff are really helpful and friendly and the service is fantastic. If you speak only English you will probably get by, but knowing French is a definite advantage.

If you are light sleeper, bring earplugs - the building design means noise does travel (though as its a small place guests are generally considerate to each other) and you can hear the early-morning prayer-calls from the mosque (though not too loudly). The Dellah room is lovely - only downside is there is no curtain or door separating the en suite from the room, and no shower curtain or screen, so bathroom floor floods when you take a shower. The room was immaculately cleaned and tidied each day, but I did feel a bit bad about leaving it in that state!

Location is good - close enough to walk to the main square and all the sights, but still nice and peaceful.

My tips for staying here:
1. Get the Riad to book your airport transfers, it's only a couple of pounds more than the 'regular' price, but the driver they used was very professional and didn't haggle for extra money or tips, also knew exactly where to take us, as the place can be hard to find the first time.
2. Credit card payments are accepted in theory BUT the processing connection is patchy so our cards wouldn't work and we had a last minute panic and dash to a cash machine, so don't leave until last minute to settle up
3. There is a hammam in the Riad which looks lovely, but you have to pre-plan if you want to use it as it takes 3 hours to hear up - I didn't realise that until too late, so missed out!

Thank you to all the staff for a great stay!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at this riad for a week - it was our first time in Marrakech. The city is amazing but completely mad, so we were always glad to return back to the riad each day. The moment you step in through the door, you notice how peaceful and calm it is. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful; Nadia's English was pretty good which certainly made our stay easier, since most of Marrakech is French/Arabic only.

My only major piece of advice is to plan your arrival carefully. The riad is down a few back alleys in the souks, which you might never find on your own. We got a taxi there on our first night, but he could only drop us off in a square at the edge of the souks. A local quickly spotted us and offered to take us the rest of the way which wasn't far. I explained that I only had 20 drh to give him, but he wouldn't listen. After a few turns down some extremely dark and narrow alleyways, we got to the riad and he demanded 100 drh. In the end, Siied (the riad barman) heard the argument, came outside and paid the man to go away; a very kind gesture.

In future, I would either print off a map showing the local streets/alleys (although I've been told that the souks are near impossible to map), bring my smartphone with GPS, or pay extra to have the riad arrange the airport transfer.

Overall, I have no doubt that we made the right decision to stay at this riad. It's right in the heart of the medina, so the location couldn't be handier. Once you learn your way to the central plaza and back, finding your way around gets a lot easier.

The food in the riad really is excellent; this was frustrating as it made it very difficult for us to convince ourselves that we should go out and explore the city for dinner! At 15 euros for three courses, it's an absolute bargain and excellently cooked and presented.

The riad's interior is beautifully furnished, the staff are top-class and the food is stunning, so overall, this riad really does feel like an oasis in the middle of a rather chaotic city!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Iman room on the ground floor. It was the cheapest at 40 euros/night. Despite bei...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ed G
Reviewed December 24, 2010

Nice location, good service, rooms comfortable and clean. No thrills but good value for money. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarjerBi
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Whilst I would still recommend this place there were are few things that bothered me about this riad. But let's start with the positive things. The place is beautiful, well maintained and breakfast on the roof top was a delight every morning. So peaceful, yet in the middle of Marrakech. The location was really handy for heading off shopping into the souks although the last alleyway at night could be lit a little better. I wouldn't recommend it alone. Nethertheless, I always felt safe, just avoid talking to people who want to give you directions "for money". The staff were generally really sweet and they kept our rooms immaculate.

On the downside, sharing a room with three and having a bathroom without a door, just a see-through curtain, wasn't so convenient. As a favour to my friends I usually exited the room and used another toilet located near the reception. Not so great if you're stomach is not behaving itself during the middle of the night, also because the doors are wooden and rather noisy to open.
As other people mentioned, it isn't so English-friendly. Whilst I do speak Italian, I've never used much French and the owner wasn't able to follow some of our questions very well.
She also wasn't so helpful when we asked her for help calling a taxi company to confirm our trip to Agadir. She refused to call them. The reason? Because we didn't book it through her. They had suggested a bus service originally so we didn't know she offered the taxi service. The attitude was rather disapointing.
A last thing, we asked if they could book someone to do henna tattoos for three of us as we had read it's often better to do it through the riads. I wouldn't recommend that at all. Whilst the tattoo's were designed well, she didn't use much henna and so it faded away almost instantly. Rather disapointing.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank audabout
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed in this Riad for two nights. While I found it to be nice and reasonably located, there were a couple of things that I truly disliked:

* They don't accept electronic means of payment, which I think is rather inconvenient when you are travelling; especially in a country like Morocco.
* The bathroom was separated from the bedroom by a beaded curtain. That's neither private nor practical...
* Although it was nicely decorated, it didn't really feel like a genuine Riad.

I will definitely try a different one next time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple