“beautiful riad with wonder staff and service”
Review of AnaYela

AnaYela
Ranked #151 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Ana Yela is a meticulously restored Riad with a romantic history that is a peaceful haven yet with the advantage of being within the bustling Medina. The rooms are luxurious and common areas stylish including a roof terrace, cool pool in the centre of the atrium and quiet lounging areas. Delicious breakfasts are so good you probably don't need much lunch and meals are available at your request. What makes it particularly special is the service from Mehdi the manager and his excellent staff who arrange everything from drivers, to restaurants, guides and excursions. Without this support and advice it would be difficult to know where to start. We visited Essaouira and the Ourika valley and ate at some of the superb restaurants. On another visit we'd consider going to the desert on an extended trip and the Riad might consider adding this to their repertoire perhaps in collaboration with a parter hotel or travel arranger. We loved our time in Marrakesh and would thoroughly recommend it. Stephen and Cordelia

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for AnaYela

Reviewed May 11, 2014

For those wanting to experience real life in Marrakech in a beautiful small riad, look no further. The staff provided a flawless personal service and could not have been more helpful, the food delicious - superb breakfast and dinner of the highest quality - all in a luxurious and intimate setting. Sitting in the rooftop 'tent' with a refreshing drink and hearing the call to prayers was something we will remember for ever. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We escaped for a long weekend in Marrakech, having not been back in 15 years, and had booked the Anayela , not truly knowing what to expect...
We arrived on a back street in the Medina and were greeted by a lovely young man and taken to a hidden wooden door...very hidden and then voila, we stepped into another world..
This wonderful former private home (Riad) has been transformed into a beautiful well designed small hotel, only 5 private rooms. We stayed in 2 different rooms, although I took a look into all of them, the rooms have very nice beds, slept like babies and with huge baths, and very clean...each with contemporary Moroccan designs details... Each morning they present an amazing and beautiful breakfast either next to the atrium pool or on the roof... I can't write enough about the staff of the riad, they were all so helpful and positive. A pleasure to be greeted each day...
As for where to go, where to shop, where to eat, there was no person with better suggestions than Mehdi, the general manager. And this is from a girl that researches everything before I arrive anywhere.
A couple things to know, Morocco is a slow paced country and things have there own pace..people are as nice to you as you are to them, it is safe but as anywhere always good to be aware. It can look rough in some places but that's part of being in Morocco. The souk is a place to wander and yes, the stall keepers can be pests, but that's the adventure, just smile and continue on...you might get lost but that's ok...enjoy... We will be back...I didn't get a chance ask Mehdi more places to go...

Reviewed April 29, 2014

AnaYela is a hidden away gem in the heart of the Medina, about a thirty minute walk away from the Jemaa el-Fnaa. Starting with the positive: the property itself is magical; you'll feel as though you've been transported into Arabian Nights. With only five rooms, this riad radiates calm - perfect for when you want to relax after having spent a day in the bustling streets of Marrakech. The staff is extremely friendly, the food is superb, the rooms are absolutely beautiful. There is a gorgeous roof terrace with a view across the old part of town (enjoy a shisha on the roof amidst pillows and flowing sheets). Our taxi ride from and to the airport were complimentary, and Mehdi, the manager, was very polite and extremely helpful in recommending local restaurants and booking day trips.

Now, to the (very few) cons: AnaYela is not a place to go if you're seeking privacy. Each room has a sliding glass door without a lock; there are no additional security measures (though each room does include a safe). While AnaYela is located in a bit of a dubious part of town, the riad itself is very safe. Unfortunately, due to the lack of real doors, there isn't much you can do about potential noise for this reason - though we did find that we got used to the muezzin's calls to prayer in the middle of the night rather quickly. AnaYela has a very intimate feel, and it begs its guests to adapt to the Moroccan way of life. If you're willing to forego the lock and let yourself drift, this will be a magical experience, no doubt.

A big hotel this is not, but I found this to the key to its charm. I had an amazing time at AnaYela, and would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was our first trip to Marrakech and couldn't have stayed at a more magical and wonderful place. The staff were superb and made us feel like we were the only people in the riad. Mehdi arranged all our trips and they were just what we wanted, no big buses, just us and a guide or taxi. What I didn't expect was how amazing the food was, so good that we ended up eating in every night. After a day in the hustle and bustle of the city it was fantastic to come back to the quiet and beautiful retreat to recharge. A once in a lifetime experience.

Room Tip: Rooms to the right and directly in front of you from the front door are the quietest.
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Having worked for Design Hotels, I must say that Riad AnaYela was truly a magical experience!
A great thanks as well to Mehdi, for making our stay so wonderful and pleasant.
His advice took us to the most beautiful hidden spots in Marrakech and we really felt we were no tourist anymore...

We are already planning our trip back to Marrakech, and guess in which hotel we want to stay again ? ;)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I wanted to get away, and have quality time with myself. Moreover I wanted to start writing my book on the participatory nature of reality. So I remembered where I wanted to go: Riad AnaYela.
I was taken care of like I was a king. The staff was not only "at my service" as one would expect from a good hotel, rather they went out of their way to make me feel comfortable every day. And I was not on your typical tourist program, only going out for 3-4 hours per day. So it really counted.
After the royal breakfast I went to the roof and sat there writing for a few hours, getting the lovingly prepared mint tea served 2,3 times... as much as I liked. A real pleasure. One thing you notice when you spend so much time in an open, concentrated mood on the roof - you hardly hear any mechanical sound. Children at play, and an occasional dog. What you would have heard in all cities before the industrial revolution gave us a soundscape more fit for machines then man.

I had most of my dinners at the Riad as well, and comparing the food with what I got in the restaurants in town, made me decide that. Delicious.
So thank you all who made my stay there a most wonderful experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo