AnaYela
Riad 72(Marrakech)
$152
$146
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnorthern partflying carpetlocal phonebeautiful riadhotel driverhome away from homegeneral managerour honeymoonan amazing hotelentire stayeach guestlocal guidetour guidebustling medinarooms were very cleanan oasisroof terrace
Reviewed February 23, 2011

First of all, with my girlfriend we have to thank again the staff for an amazing service...
It was our first time in Marocco and the drive through the small street of the medina to stop in the "carpark" left us a bit wondering about where we had committed ourselves to stay for Valentine, however the Beaty of the place was evident and true to all the details on the website when we passed the wooden door at the end if a dark alley...
It's only after few hours that you appreciate the calm and peacefulness of the place!
We had a great time and received impeccable service!

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Steve024-2011
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Everything was perfect during my stay at the Anayela over five days in October 2010. The excellent behavior of the very kind staff, the service from airport shuttle to guided tours to the Atlas. We´ve always been supported honestly by the very polite people of the Anayela. The riad´s interior is not only designed with a lot of charme, its designed and furnished with a lot of heart. We felt very comfortable in our room on the first floor with a spacious and absolute clean bathroom. The always very obliging waiting staff served us a typical moroccan diner on the flying carpet, a romantic place on the roof top. We enjoyed our delicate meal and watched the sun set while the muezzin was calling - WHOW. The Anayela is situated in the north of the Medina, the authentic part of the old town, where you´ll not find the "normal tourist" but the real moroccan life, many artisan work shops and craftsmanship tradition. My stay in Marrakesh at the Anayela is one of those experiences, I´ll never forget.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I chose AnaYela for the magic and the service, and both were delivered beautifully. I found the place on Tablet Hotels (always my first stop in the perpetual search for well-designed accommodations) and their review of the riad noted a staff "almost too lovely to be real," which I found to be a rather fitting description. The magic was quite breathtakingly present as well. The legend of Yela, the riad's namesake maiden, is hammered into the doors in silver and painted in artful Arabic calligraphy on the walls and the ceilings. The rooms are called chapters, there is a bedouin-style, tented "magic carpet tower" (where Yela received her first kiss and flew off above the rooftops of Marrakech with her lover), and the staff are all decked out in immaculate white and full of infallible graciousness. They really are almost too lovely to be real.

They have special drivers that are willing to navigate the impossibly narrow alleyways of the medina (which is not the done thing) in order to retrieve and redeposit you after taking you wherever you may wish to go. They give you a cellphone so that when (and I do mean when, not if) you become hopelessly lost in the labyrinth of the medina, you can call for help. They even moved the portable air conditioning unit from the office into our room after our own A/C went out after hours. Which reminds me, you really should get a room on the upper level, as the ground-floor rooms are not air conditioned at all.

The only slight glitch to do with the service was that they couldn't keep our dinner reservation in the magic carpet tower on the night of our arrival. I had arranged to have dinner waiting for us when we got in from the airport, and I had advised them that we expected to get there about 22:00. When we got in (via their own driver) at 22:30 our dinner was set up in another lovely area on the roof with a tent and a large table, and there was another couple in the magic carpet tower. We asked about it and were told that they couldn't hold the reservation because we were "so late." That was the only disappointment, and it really wasn't so bad. It just differed so tremendously from the rest of the service we received. If they'd been as spectacular about that as they were about everything else, they would have considered the standard wait time for customs (lengthier than anywhere else I've traveled) and calculated how long it usually takes for their driver to deliver guests coming in from the airport, and they would have known intuitively that we'd be half an hour later than I estimated! Really that's how en point they were when it came to every other service opportunity. So the bottom line is that I'm truly grateful that we were served a hot, delicious feast at ten-thirty at night by a wonderfully friendly and attentive waiter that we had all to ourselves for as long as we wished to linger. Plus we got to lounge like sultans in the magic carpet tower after dinner anyway!

Ultimately, I can't recommend this place highly enough. I'm a travel agent, and a very discerning guest when it comes to design and service, and Riad AnaYela was truly spellbinding in every way. The décor is luxe and earthy at the same time, full of both character and refinement, and it's hard to get both. The courtyard was completely sublime with white arches surrounding a cool blue plunge pool, white leather berber chairs, and mysterious ambient soundscapes playing quietly around the clock.

Breakfast was absolutely delightful. It's a sumptuous and splendid spread of yogurt, granola, fruit, pastries, bread, jams, juice, coffee, and tea, and it'll be waiting for you with a warm, welcoming smile whether you get up at six in the morning or at one in the afternoon. Value is a subjective thing, and I feel like I got plenty of it here. If you want an outsized and vaguely Moroccan-looking room in the swank part of the medina, and you're willing to sacrifice some of the romance, you can get loads more space for this kind of money, but AnaYela is truly one-of-a-kind, with a soul and a story, and the sort of immaculate attention to detail (in both design and service) that's not easy to come by, and that's what I look for in an unforgettable place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Anayela for our honeymoon. In summary, we enjoyed our stay, but in retrospect, we would likely stay elsewhere on our next trip to Marrakech. The high points: The hotel is beautiful and the story of the young woman who is the namesake of the hotel is enchanting and the theme is carried out very tastefully through the riad. It really is a nice quiet and serene oasis in the busy medina. The hotel is impeccably decorated and we found lots of great ideas that I would love to replicate in our home some day. The hotel staff was incredibly nice. I was sick for much of our stay there due to common food borne illness acquired while traveling and i am very glad that happened at a nice place that i didn't mind hanging out in for long stretches of the day!

The lower points: the hotel is very expensive and i'm not convinced we got the value for the price. We received great service at lower price point hotels during our time in Morocco. We had dinner at the hotel our first night on the roof top. the dinner service was beautiful and the food portions were large, however, the food was a little bland and I actually got sick for the first time the next day after eating at many a less elite and clean establishment throughout the country on our trip. Also, they were unable to accommodate different food choices for dinner. If they were making beef and you didn't eat beef, you had to go out to dinner because they only planned for one meal a day and you had to tell them you were eating there very early in the day, so there was not much room for change of plans. Also, the food at the hotel was very expensive. The staff was wonderful about bringing snacks for us (their snack included a large tray of breads, tasty cheeses, olives and sometimes a mixed salad), however, when we checked out we realized the "snack" cost 15 Euros a person. We read about other hotels that included a bit more in that price range (like free snacks and cocktails each day etc.). Also, we originally booked the honeymoon suite and we were switched to another suite upon arrival. The second suite was beautiful, but we originally booked the romantic suite because it was our honeymoon so that was a bit disappointing that that was done without much apology and there wasn't really anything extra done for our honeymoon as advertised. Also the staff was getting ready for the owners to visit and were very busy preparing for that, so that could have lead to less attentive service at some points than we expected when we booked the hotel. The hotel was supposed to help book a spa appointment and we didn't ever end up going nor did we hear from the hotel about whether we were able to get an appointment. They did book dinner reservations and a taxi for us one night and that was great. The services was spotty but when they executed things for the most part they did them well. The hotel does not sit in the most fancy area of the medina which we liked, but with the price tag equivalent or higher than riads in the more posh area in case that is something that you are factoring into your riad selection.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bagels98
Reviewed July 17, 2010

The Anayela Hotel in the heart of the medina of Marrakesh is a totally special and surreal place: you leave behind you the hustle and bustle of medina life and surrender to the total peace and tranquility of this sensual oasis! The service is wonderfully attentive and kind! All in all a fantastic stay!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business