See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Very basic hotel for £11 a night you can't go wrong.
room was big also clean.
The receptionist (male) was a bit rude and didn't really want to help.
The small pool was wicked.
Not close to the medina took us 40mins to walk by taxi you'll get ripped off.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mo a
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Me and my husband went for a 5 night holiday and booked this hotel reading the reviews before going we didn't know what to expect. But when we got there we were given a choice of rooms we obviously chose the back room and was quite spacious and very clean. We only had one problem with the bathroom there was a leak but that got sorted out quickly for us. Cause we had the back room it wasn't noisy. If you like busy areas and seeing all most of the city I think new town of marrakech is a nice place to stay cause my family went same time as us to Marrakech and were staying in the old town and did not feel safe to go out late whereas in the Gueliz area it is easy to get out and about late night without anyone harassing you. There's plenty of restaurants near by, Bombay restaurant that's 5 mins away is definitely worth trying. Breakfast time is good they have a variety of food catering for all. To restaurants and take away are walking distant, but if you need to get to Jema El Fna, all other site seeing areas you'll need a taxi roughly costing us £4-5 for a 15 minute ride. At first taxis put their prices sky high you need to haggle with them also it is best to get a small taxi rather then the bigger ones. Overall me and my husband had a lovely stay at this hotel and would stay again, the rooms were cleaned everyday also were given fresh towels. I would recommend anyone who is planning on staying at this hotel to bring their own travel iron cause the one they provide is pretty useless just leaks.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Sara_Hasan88
Reviewed March 28, 2012

The hotel is clean and has a nice surface but I spent 4 nights here in march and in the end it led up to so much frustration I wish I had not booked my stay here. First of all you can find a lot cheaper ryads closer to jemaa el fnaa, which will give you more of an authentic morroccan atmosphere. This is far from the historical sights. Secondly, yes they charge you extra for tax (which I knew of before the stay and did not come as a surprise). What did come as a surprise though was that when I checked in I asked about the breakfast since my booking did not include that according to my documents, but the girl in the reception convinved me it was included and that I only had to say my room number at the buffet. When I checked out they had added up all those breakfasts (which is nothing special, white bread, marmelade, tea and coffee) for me to pay with the tax. Most of the staff speak broken English or none at all (not even french) and of course this could have been the reason for the misunderstanding, but I wonder if it's not a business trick, cause the girl seemed pretty convinced when she told me about the breakfast. Also don't expect to be able to cancel any nights once you've checked in. So overall a big NO.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lillachrissi
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I've left it for a while to write this review wonedering of we were unlucky with our timing - but it seems we are not the only victims

I don't like bad mouthing any place, but this hotel has so many failings that could be put right if someone cared to do so..

It's a nice building in a clean safe area - quite a way from the medina but walkable and quite close to the station.

We arrived after quite a long journey and were quite impressed by the outside and the reception - it looks a star or two above it's official rating.

But once we arrived at the reception desk, things went downhill - the male receptionist has to be the sourest least welcoming individual that has ever been allowed in contact with the travelling public.

I didn't find out his name - we didn't get onto first name terms or any terms for that matter

After he'd stared us down for a while, he reluctantly looked at his computer and accepted that we did have a reservation - then brightened up his day by telling us we were on floor 6 and the lift wasn't working. There did seem to be a few hotel people hanging round doing not very much, but no-one offered to help with the one big case we had with us.

I did think that maybe the desk clerk didn't like English people much, but over the next 2 days, I saw him in action with all sorts of people, nationalities and races, and he seems to treat them all with equal hostility.

It's puzzling - you meet many is friendly polite, helpful people in Marrakech- so why have a misanthrope as the public face of Mont Gueliz?

We staggered up the stairs and the room was OK - bit dark, bit shabby but seemed clean.

The next twist came the following morning - I looked out of the room window and found that i was within a few feet of a man holding a pneumatic drill who gave me a friendly smile and went into action - the adjoining building is being rebuilt.

Nothing to complain about at breakfast - nice buffet with French and North African dishes

Will be going back to Marrakech, but won't be visiting this place again - for the same price, you can get a room in one of the restored riads in the medina

Room Tip: Try another hotel - otherwise make sure they've fixed the lift
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TrouserPress2007
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed in Agadir for 3 days and when we arrived to Marrakech we could deffinetly feel the differentt! There were life in Marrakech! When we arrived to Hotel Mont Gueliz we were welcomed by the picolo(door opener) The rooms were really fine and nice. We had two rooms. One with a street view and a balcony (noisy if you open the balcony door) and one quite room with no street view. The bathroom were nice too... We desided that we didn't want breakfast from the hotel because there are many restaurant that have breakfast to about 20-30 morrocan dirham (2-3 euro) The hotel offer hammam (spa/massage/sauna) and they also have shuttle bus to the airport for some dirhams and also many half or all day activities like a trip to Valley d'Ourika or to the dessert and so on.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family