WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #442 of 512 Hotels in Marrakech
Luton, United Kingdom
“cheap!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Very basic hotel for £11 a night you can't go wrong.
room was big also clean.
The receptionist (male) was a bit rude and didn't really want to help.
The small pool was wicked.
Not close to the medina took us 40mins to walk by taxi you'll get ripped off.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mo a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Me and my husband went for a 5 night holiday and booked this hotel reading the reviews before going we didn't know what to expect. But when we got there we were given a choice of rooms we obviously chose the back room and was quite spacious and very clean. We only had one problem with the bathroom there was a leak but that got sorted out quickly for us. Cause we had the back room it wasn't noisy. If you like busy areas and seeing all most of the city I think new town of marrakech is a nice place to stay cause my family went same time as us to Marrakech and were staying in the old town and did not feel safe to go out late whereas in the Gueliz area it is easy to get out and about late night without anyone harassing you. There's plenty of restaurants near by, Bombay restaurant that's 5 mins away is definitely worth trying. Breakfast time is good they have a variety of food catering for all. To restaurants and take away are walking distant, but if you need to get to Jema El Fna, all other site seeing areas you'll need a taxi roughly costing us £4-5 for a 15 minute ride. At first taxis put their prices sky high you need to haggle with them also it is best to get a small taxi rather then the bigger ones. Overall me and my husband had a lovely stay at this hotel and would stay again, the rooms were cleaned everyday also were given fresh towels. I would recommend anyone who is planning on staying at this hotel to bring their own travel iron cause the one they provide is pretty useless just leaks.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Sara_Hasan88
Angelholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

The hotel is clean and has a nice surface but I spent 4 nights here in march and in the end it led up to so much frustration I wish I had not booked my stay here. First of all you can find a lot cheaper ryads closer to jemaa el fnaa, which will give you more of an authentic morroccan atmosphere. This is far from the historical sights. Secondly, yes they charge you extra for tax (which I knew of before the stay and did not come as a surprise). What did come as a surprise though was that when I checked in I asked about the breakfast since my booking did not include that according to my documents, but the girl in the reception convinved me it was included and that I only had to say my room number at the buffet. When I checked out they had added up all those breakfasts (which is nothing special, white bread, marmelade, tea and coffee) for me to pay with the tax. Most of the staff speak broken English or none at all (not even french) and of course this could have been the reason for the misunderstanding, but I wonder if it's not a business trick, cause the girl seemed pretty convinced when she told me about the breakfast. Also don't expect to be able to cancel any nights once you've checked in. So overall a big NO.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lillachrissi

Travelers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

I've left it for a while to write this review wonedering of we were unlucky with our timing - but it seems we are not the only victims

I don't like bad mouthing any place, but this hotel has so many failings that could be put right if someone cared to do so..

It's a nice building in a clean safe area - quite a way from the medina but walkable and quite close to the station.

We arrived after quite a long journey and were quite impressed by the outside and the reception - it looks a star or two above it's official rating.

But once we arrived at the reception desk, things went downhill - the male receptionist has to be the sourest least welcoming individual that has ever been allowed in contact with the travelling public.

I didn't find out his name - we didn't get onto first name terms or any terms for that matter

After he'd stared us down for a while, he reluctantly looked at his computer and accepted that we did have a reservation - then brightened up his day by telling us we were on floor 6 and the lift wasn't working. There did seem to be a few hotel people hanging round doing not very much, but no-one offered to help with the one big case we had with us.

I did think that maybe the desk clerk didn't like English people much, but over the next 2 days, I saw him in action with all sorts of people, nationalities and races, and he seems to treat them all with equal hostility.

It's puzzling - you meet many is friendly polite, helpful people in Marrakech- so why have a misanthrope as the public face of Mont Gueliz?

We staggered up the stairs and the room was OK - bit dark, bit shabby but seemed clean.

The next twist came the following morning - I looked out of the room window and found that i was within a few feet of a man holding a pneumatic drill who gave me a friendly smile and went into action - the adjoining building is being rebuilt.

Nothing to complain about at breakfast - nice buffet with French and North African dishes

Will be going back to Marrakech, but won't be visiting this place again - for the same price, you can get a room in one of the restored riads in the medina

Room Tip: Try another hotel - otherwise make sure they've fixed the lift
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrouserPress2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed in Agadir for 3 days and when we arrived to Marrakech we could deffinetly feel the differentt! There were life in Marrakech! When we arrived to Hotel Mont Gueliz we were welcomed by the picolo(door opener) The rooms were really fine and nice. We had two rooms. One with a street view and a balcony (noisy if you open the balcony door) and one quite room with no street view. The bathroom were nice too... We desided that we didn't want breakfast from the hotel because there are many restaurant that have breakfast to about 20-30 morrocan dirham (2-3 euro) The hotel offer hammam (spa/massage/sauna) and they also have shuttle bus to the airport for some dirhams and also many half or all day activities like a trip to Valley d'Ourika or to the dessert and so on.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MissH91
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

50 Minute walk from the main square!!!

Good:
The double bed, room space and bathroom was decent (compared to the rest of marrakech). Was there for 4 nights and had the room cleaned twice. Convenience store across the road.

Bad:
Construction site next door, miserable miserable miserable staff, arguing locals in the lobby everyday, balcony doors didn't close properly (which mean't very little sleep due to how much people beep out there) and the only 3 stars about this place was the front door. Spent one night out and they locked my door card! wouldn't tell me why either. Wasn't pleased coming back that morning.

My advise is to get a place next to the main square, since thats where all the culture is.

Room Tip: Go somewhere closer to the sqaure
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ichigo23
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

We only stayed one night at this hotel, the last night of our stay. Compared to another 3 star hotel we stayed in Marrakesh, this one had a nice room, it was clean and well located. We enjoy one late afternoon at the terrace by the pool and really have no complaints.
Breakfast was good (highlight to the croissants!) and staff was friendly.
The only downside we can mention is the construction works being done just next to the hotel and you could hear all the noise from the restaurant, and we can imagine that if your room is facing that part of the building that would be a nightmare. In relation to the traffic noise, it did not disturb us once the double window seems to work fine in blocking the noise.
Another positive thing is that you have the supermarket just across the street as well as restaurants and cafes in the Gueliz neighbourhood.
We are generally happy with our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple