“Don't waste your time and money on this hotel.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mont Gueliz

Hotel Mont Gueliz
Ranked #434 of 504 Hotels in Marrakech
Angelholm, Sweden
“Don't waste your time and money on this hotel.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The hotel is clean and has a nice surface but I spent 4 nights here in march and in the end it led up to so much frustration I wish I had not booked my stay here. First of all you can find a lot cheaper ryads closer to jemaa el fnaa, which will give you more of an authentic morroccan atmosphere. This is far from the historical sights. Secondly, yes they charge you extra for tax (which I knew of before the stay and did not come as a surprise). What did come as a surprise though was that when I checked in I asked about the breakfast since my booking did not include that according to my documents, but the girl in the reception convinved me it was included and that I only had to say my room number at the buffet. When I checked out they had added up all those breakfasts (which is nothing special, white bread, marmelade, tea and coffee) for me to pay with the tax. Most of the staff speak broken English or none at all (not even french) and of course this could have been the reason for the misunderstanding, but I wonder if it's not a business trick, cause the girl seemed pretty convinced when she told me about the breakfast. Also don't expect to be able to cancel any nights once you've checked in. So overall a big NO.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lillachrissi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I've left it for a while to write this review wonedering of we were unlucky with our timing - but it seems we are not the only victims

I don't like bad mouthing any place, but this hotel has so many failings that could be put right if someone cared to do so..

It's a nice building in a clean safe area - quite a way from the medina but walkable and quite close to the station.

We arrived after quite a long journey and were quite impressed by the outside and the reception - it looks a star or two above it's official rating.

But once we arrived at the reception desk, things went downhill - the male receptionist has to be the sourest least welcoming individual that has ever been allowed in contact with the travelling public.

I didn't find out his name - we didn't get onto first name terms or any terms for that matter

After he'd stared us down for a while, he reluctantly looked at his computer and accepted that we did have a reservation - then brightened up his day by telling us we were on floor 6 and the lift wasn't working. There did seem to be a few hotel people hanging round doing not very much, but no-one offered to help with the one big case we had with us.

I did think that maybe the desk clerk didn't like English people much, but over the next 2 days, I saw him in action with all sorts of people, nationalities and races, and he seems to treat them all with equal hostility.

It's puzzling - you meet many is friendly polite, helpful people in Marrakech- so why have a misanthrope as the public face of Mont Gueliz?

We staggered up the stairs and the room was OK - bit dark, bit shabby but seemed clean.

The next twist came the following morning - I looked out of the room window and found that i was within a few feet of a man holding a pneumatic drill who gave me a friendly smile and went into action - the adjoining building is being rebuilt.

Nothing to complain about at breakfast - nice buffet with French and North African dishes

Will be going back to Marrakech, but won't be visiting this place again - for the same price, you can get a room in one of the restored riads in the medina

Room Tip: Try another hotel - otherwise make sure they've fixed the lift
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrouserPress2007

Travelers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed in Agadir for 3 days and when we arrived to Marrakech we could deffinetly feel the differentt! There were life in Marrakech! When we arrived to Hotel Mont Gueliz we were welcomed by the picolo(door opener) The rooms were really fine and nice. We had two rooms. One with a street view and a balcony (noisy if you open the balcony door) and one quite room with no street view. The bathroom were nice too... We desided that we didn't want breakfast from the hotel because there are many restaurant that have breakfast to about 20-30 morrocan dirham (2-3 euro) The hotel offer hammam (spa/massage/sauna) and they also have shuttle bus to the airport for some dirhams and also many half or all day activities like a trip to Valley d'Ourika or to the dessert and so on.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MissH91
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

50 Minute walk from the main square!!!

Good:
The double bed, room space and bathroom was decent (compared to the rest of marrakech). Was there for 4 nights and had the room cleaned twice. Convenience store across the road.

Bad:
Construction site next door, miserable miserable miserable staff, arguing locals in the lobby everyday, balcony doors didn't close properly (which mean't very little sleep due to how much people beep out there) and the only 3 stars about this place was the front door. Spent one night out and they locked my door card! wouldn't tell me why either. Wasn't pleased coming back that morning.

My advise is to get a place next to the main square, since thats where all the culture is.

Room Tip: Go somewhere closer to the sqaure
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ichigo23
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We only stayed one night at this hotel, the last night of our stay. Compared to another 3 star hotel we stayed in Marrakesh, this one had a nice room, it was clean and well located. We enjoy one late afternoon at the terrace by the pool and really have no complaints.
Breakfast was good (highlight to the croissants!) and staff was friendly.
The only downside we can mention is the construction works being done just next to the hotel and you could hear all the noise from the restaurant, and we can imagine that if your room is facing that part of the building that would be a nightmare. In relation to the traffic noise, it did not disturb us once the double window seems to work fine in blocking the noise.
Another positive thing is that you have the supermarket just across the street as well as restaurants and cafes in the Gueliz neighbourhood.
We are generally happy with our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luckyvivi
carnoustie, scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

This holiday was a last minute deal we found on the internet, it was only for a week, so was just going to be a base for some local sightseeing,
Firstly the pictures you see of the hotel are a bit glamourised; the front entrance picture doesn’t show the dirty pavement entrance with missing slabs, a sign of things to come!!
We arrived in the early evening, with enough time to book in, freshen up, and have dinner before going out to find our bearings.
Our room was on the top floor with a view from the back of the hotel, {my wife had asked for a room with a view form the front} the view from the window showed that there was another building adjoining the hotel currently in progress, and that the foundations for more construction had already being laid. Thinking that construction noise may be a problem, my wife got them to give us another room, {as had been requested} we were given a room on the first floor with a front view, this room was very basic, with a bathroom and twin beds, certainly not 3 star, barely 2, I also wondered why the room had primary double glazed sliding doors and also a secondary double glazed door leading out to a tiny veranda, I didn’t have to wonder for long, the constant 24 hour noise of traffic, mopeds, scooters, motor bikes, cars, lorries not to mention the traffic police whistling continuously from early morning to late evening is absolutely horrendous, and the hotel is on the main crossroads leading to Casablanca, and even with all the double and secondary glazing it still can’t keep the traffic noise out at night, so you can forget restful nights sleeping.
The restaurant is small but looked clean enough, the waitress although very pleasant speaks French/Arabic, but as there are now quite a lot of English speaking holiday makers using this as a base, basic English would have been helpful,
We were on half board, basic European style breakfast, but very disappointed there wasn’t a menu to select your evening meal from, basically just what’s put in front of you,
First night was French fries, rice, sausages, lettuce and olives, only good thing on the plate was the French fries, the sausages tasted sour and made me baulk, the rice was soggy and wet, utterly revolting, ate out
Second night was the same as the previous night sausages slightly better, ate out again
Third night was chops, French fries, lettuce and olives, ate a few of the fries and I kid you not, a green type of dye came out of the chops, I showed this to my wife and to the waitress, due to not being able to communicate properly with her I was unable to convey my disgust, her actions and spattering of English suggested that it was a quality control mark that gets stamped on to beef joints etcetera, didn’t convince me one bit so was sent back to the kitchen, nothing was offered to replace this, we went on to the sweet, simply what was meant to be fresh water melon, which was frozen solid in the middle completely inedible, thank god McDonalds was just up the road.

We never ate our evening meals at the hotel again, simply ate out for the rest of our stay and found some really lovely restaurants close by with authentic Moroccan lamb/ beef tagines,

I would suggest you give this hotel a very wide berth, or if you’ve already booked in here then get a room at the rear, view not pretty but at least you’ll get some sleep

The rest of our Moroccan holiday was perfect,

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
beds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Got back from Marrakech on Friday. Booked for 5 nights, stayed for 9 due to volcanic eruption. The staff at the Hotel Mont Gueliz were fantastic, especially Nadia and Saida.
Rather than exploit the situation, the hotel manager dropped the price for our 4 extra nights, and threw in a lovely evening meal for us as well !!!!
Yes, the hotel is situated on a busy roundabout, with construction work going on nearby. But, we felt,that the efforts of the staff more than compensated. Nice little pool on roof. Maids worked tirelessly to keep hotel spotless. Supermarket just across the street for all your needs. Bus number 1 from outside hotel takes you straight to main square in about 10 minutes for around 30 pence. We shall return !!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family