“Fantastic few days at Riad Bamaga!”
Review of Riad Bamaga Hotel

Riad Bamaga Hotel
Ranked #186 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed March 29, 2014

My mum and I have just visited Marrakech for the first time and loved our stay at Riad Bamaga! The riad was decorated in a lovely way and offered real sanctuary from the bustling streets. We had evening meals a couple of nights there and the food was wonderful. Thank you to Colette, Simo and all of the other staff who helped to make our stay so fantastic with their superb service! We hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My friend and I visited Marrakech from the 15th- 18th of March and stayed in riad bamaga.

Colette, the owner, was very helpful and gave us all sorts of tips on how to get the most out of our short stay. She arranged a camel ride for us and also went to the bus station to pick up our bus tickets in advance for our onward travel as she said it would be going out of our way and would take away from the precious time we had to explore the city, which we were extremely grateful for.

The riad itself is gorgeous. Very clean and tastefully decorated with an amazing roof terrace!! It was extremely peaceful with its water fountain and chirping birds. It's hard to imagine that this riad is less than 5 minutes walk from the noise, smells, and just general craziness of Marrakech city life.

Simon, a polite and friendly member of Colette's staff, arranged a lovely continental breakfast for us each morning on the roof terrace with delicious freshly squeezed orange juice. The only thing that annoyed us was that there was a big crowd of Germans there at the same time as us, who effectively monopolised the comfy sofas under the marquee on the terrace every morning so unfortunately we never had use of it, which would have been nice.

Also, we had used google maps to locate the Riad before we booked it but the location on google maps is WRONG. We were very confused when we got the riad (at night) and wanted to explore only to find that we were in a completely different location. The riad when searched on google maps is south of the main square, Place Jemaa El Fna. However, in actuality, it is north of the square and not as close as we thought. If you look up the Riad's official website, you'll discover the correct location.

We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend this Riad. It's very reasonably priced and the staff are lovely and very approachable. Colette is also happy to go above and beyond to ensure her guests get the most out of such a fascinating city.

We have both said we would love to return to Marrakech one day, just maybe next time with a larger group, or with a male friend or boyfriend. Being young, fair haired and fair skinned women in our 20s traveling alone, we did experience a bit of hassle from the locals and the walk through the alleys back to the riad at night always felt a bit dodgy.

It really is a fabulous, colourful and vibrant city inhabited by friendly people (for the most part anyway)... It's a real assault on all the senses!! It's ideal for those seeking a bit of culture and those who want to experience a different holiday than your run-of-the-mill, all inclusive beach breaks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My friend and I visited Marrakech for the first time and stayed at Riad Bamaga because of the good reviews it had on trip advisor-we were not disappointed!!
Collette and her team worked hard to ensure we got the most out of our stay

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here only due to the recommendation of the owners of Riad Alwachma... Bamaga was very pretty, tastefully decorated and well maintained however there were some issues from the beginning. I found a toenail in our bed. Yes. Toenail. Obviously the sheets were not changed. The bathroom smelled like a mixture of sulfur and sewer. We had to constantly keep the door closed. The noise was crazy - men screaming in arabic all night long, kids yelling, women fighting in french from the outside (we think). Not to mention the fact that the owner recommended the "easy spa" for massages which was a disaster on it's own. (see my review for that business... dont go.) The shower was hot, however it was basically a hose. The shower head was too heavy to stay on the connection on top and would fall if placed above your head. Thank god my husband brought duck tape.... seriously. We duct taped the shower head to the wall.

On the other hand - the staff was friendly. Miss Collette was lovely and always willing to help - and the orange juice and breakfast was great. Overall - this was a so-so experience. I dont think I would go back, but what can you expect for $65/USD per night. I would compare it to an average to good hostel. Minus the toenail. That was crazy.

Oh - also the creepy teenage boys that surround the door at night. I think they stay around stealing wi-fi. Just a guess. I would definately feel uncomfortable if my husband wasn't always with me.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
cabymons, Propriétaire at Riad Bamaga Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

It's a pity if you didn't like your experience in the heart of the medina, in Marrakesh, with riad Bamaga. I wanted to help you to understand this amazing city, with serenity, but it wasn't possible.
I believe, sincerely that Marrakesh has proceded a "shock" on you, and that the streets's life has borried you. Regarding cleanliness, I can assure that the sheets were changed : I see every room each day, because I am on the riad every day, and I trust my staff. It seems hardly possible that a nail - precisely toe - was "lost" in a bed which was changed. of course, it's a shame...About the shower, it's a pity that you didn't talk with us about that : it was only necessary to screw the head shower. However, I hope that your end of stay on Morocco will be fine, despite this experience that displeased you, as well as Spa tips I gave you : sorry again about your bad experience... customers that I had previously sent were happy. I wish you, sincerely, a better stay on the other places on Morocco.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Colette the owner is without doubt the best host I have ever had the opportunity to meet. Always helpful and always welcoming. I just wish everywhere I stayed had a 'Colette'! Simon also needs a mention as he was always extremely polite and helpful. Even made us a nice mint tea before we left. The Riad itself is beautiful, clean and comfortable. Good location although I imagine would be hard to find if you're an adventuring type and want to arrive by bus etc. If I ever return to Marrakech I will without doubt return to Riad Bamaga.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2014

It was my first trip to Marrakech (or Morocco for that matter) and Colette and team made it very easy and comfortable for me. She welcomed us at the carpark where the airport pickup dropped us and showed us the way to the wonderful riad nearby. The riad itself was clean and a peaceful, and beautiful sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of city. Colette gave great pointers on how to get around the city and what to see. Fantastic. She also helped us to arrange day trips to Essaouira and the Berber villages. I couldn't have asked for more. Highly recommended Riad.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed in Riad Bamaga in December 2013 and our week there was an unmitigated pleasure. Situated in the Medina, the riad is walking distance from the main square of Jemaa el Fna, the Ben Yousseff Mosque and Medersa, El Badi Palace and Agdal Gardens, as well as the Majorelle Gardens. The five bedroom riad is in a traditional Marrach house, built around a small courtyard. It is stylishly decorated and furnished with beautiful Moroccan antiques. It is spotlessly clean and comfortable. The welcoming owners and managers, Colette and Jean-Jacques, and their staff provided us with everything we could possibly want, including car and driver to meet us at the airport and their help and guidance in helping us plan our sightseeing was much appreciated. A special joy was breakfasting on the roof-top garden, looking towards the Koutoubia Mosque silhouetted against the Atlas Mountains. This is also a perfect spot to relax in the afternoon under the awning before setting out for the night's entertainment in Jemaa el Fna. A tip:: dinner cooked by Chef Simon is much the best food in Marrakech.:

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple