“Fabulous long weekend experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Bamaga Hotel

Riad Bamaga Hotel
Ranked #99 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous long weekend experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My friend and I visited Marrakech for the first time and stayed at Riad Bamaga because of the good reviews it had on trip advisor-we were not disappointed!!
Collette and her team worked hard to ensure we got the most out of our stay

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here only due to the recommendation of the owners of Riad Alwachma... Bamaga was very pretty, tastefully decorated and well maintained however there were some issues from the beginning. I found a toenail in our bed. Yes. Toenail. Obviously the sheets were not changed. The bathroom smelled like a mixture of sulfur and sewer. We had to constantly keep the door closed. The noise was crazy - men screaming in arabic all night long, kids yelling, women fighting in french from the outside (we think). Not to mention the fact that the owner recommended the "easy spa" for massages which was a disaster on it's own. (see my review for that business... dont go.) The shower was hot, however it was basically a hose. The shower head was too heavy to stay on the connection on top and would fall if placed above your head. Thank god my husband brought duck tape.... seriously. We duct taped the shower head to the wall.

On the other hand - the staff was friendly. Miss Collette was lovely and always willing to help - and the orange juice and breakfast was great. Overall - this was a so-so experience. I dont think I would go back, but what can you expect for $65/USD per night. I would compare it to an average to good hostel. Minus the toenail. That was crazy.

Oh - also the creepy teenage boys that surround the door at night. I think they stay around stealing wi-fi. Just a guess. I would definately feel uncomfortable if my husband wasn't always with me.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
cabymons, Propriétaire at Riad Bamaga Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
It's a pity if you didn't like your experience in the heart of the medina, in Marrakesh, with riad Bamaga. I wanted to help you to understand this amazing city, with serenity, but it wasn't possible.
I believe, sincerely that Marrakesh has proceded a "shock" on you, and that the streets's life has borried you. Regarding cleanliness, I can assure that the sheets were changed : I see every room each day, because I am on the riad every day, and I trust my staff. It seems hardly possible that a nail - precisely toe - was "lost" in a bed which was changed. of course, it's a shame...About the shower, it's a pity that you didn't talk with us about that : it was only necessary to screw the head shower. However, I hope that your end of stay on Morocco will be fine, despite this experience that displeased you, as well as Spa tips I gave you : sorry again about your bad experience... customers that I had previously sent were happy. I wish you, sincerely, a better stay on the other places on Morocco.
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Colette the owner is without doubt the best host I have ever had the opportunity to meet. Always helpful and always welcoming. I just wish everywhere I stayed had a 'Colette'! Simon also needs a mention as he was always extremely polite and helpful. Even made us a nice mint tea before we left. The Riad itself is beautiful, clean and comfortable. Good location although I imagine would be hard to find if you're an adventuring type and want to arrive by bus etc. If I ever return to Marrakech I will without doubt return to Riad Bamaga.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

It was my first trip to Marrakech (or Morocco for that matter) and Colette and team made it very easy and comfortable for me. She welcomed us at the carpark where the airport pickup dropped us and showed us the way to the wonderful riad nearby. The riad itself was clean and a peaceful, and beautiful sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of city. Colette gave great pointers on how to get around the city and what to see. Fantastic. She also helped us to arrange day trips to Essaouira and the Berber villages. I couldn't have asked for more. Highly recommended Riad.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sooke, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed in Riad Bamaga in December 2013 and our week there was an unmitigated pleasure. Situated in the Medina, the riad is walking distance from the main square of Jemaa el Fna, the Ben Yousseff Mosque and Medersa, El Badi Palace and Agdal Gardens, as well as the Majorelle Gardens. The five bedroom riad is in a traditional Marrach house, built around a small courtyard. It is stylishly decorated and furnished with beautiful Moroccan antiques. It is spotlessly clean and comfortable. The welcoming owners and managers, Colette and Jean-Jacques, and their staff provided us with everything we could possibly want, including car and driver to meet us at the airport and their help and guidance in helping us plan our sightseeing was much appreciated. A special joy was breakfasting on the roof-top garden, looking towards the Koutoubia Mosque silhouetted against the Atlas Mountains. This is also a perfect spot to relax in the afternoon under the awning before setting out for the night's entertainment in Jemaa el Fna. A tip:: dinner cooked by Chef Simon is much the best food in Marrakech.:

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The property is beautiful with a lovely roof-top terrace. It was peaceful, close to the souks & Jemaa El Fna and provided real value for money. I would recommend it to anyone looking to go to Marrakech. It caters perfectly for more upmarket clients as well as those on a budget - as the standard and cleanliness is very high. The staff are extremely attentive and friendly and the owner Collette is very helpful when it comes to providing clear maps and local advice as regards places to visit or what to expect (for first time visitors).

Collette was also very helpful in recommending the airport transfer (€15 one way) - although this is probably more expensive than getting a normal taxi, it made you feel safe in a new place to be taken directly to the door of the Riad, which you would not find otherwise, had you taken a normal taxi, which would have dropped you off about 300m away (with lots of side roads to follow).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Most fantastic riad, an oasis of beauty and calm in the heart of Marrakech Medina.
The riad itself is perfectly located in a quiet and peaceful street in the heart of the Medina, minutes from the souks and Djeema El Fna square. The riad is beautifully decorated in an authentic traditional Moroccan way with tons of tasteful touches. The hosts and staff are the loveliest people, always there to help and arrange transfers, give useful advice on what to do and where to go (and how to get there - which can be a challenge in the Medina) and most importantly drew very informative maps! Thank you Jean-Jacques for the "steps" maps!

We were a group of 6 adults coming from 2 continents, some younger than others, with 3 vegetarians and 3 serious food allergies. Arranging this trip was a feat in itself, but I must say, I got a lot of help from Colette, the owner of Riad Bamaga. She was extremely helpful with all our queries and provided a great deal of information about Marrakech. We felt we were good old friends even before arriving in Marocco.
We were there for 7 nights and had 3 gorgeous rooms, BAB EL KHEMIS, BAB JDID and BAB AGUEDAL. The rooms were incredible, they were cool and airy (they have air conditioners), the beds were super comfortable and everything was stylishly decorated. The breakfasts and dinners were delicious; the food was far superior to the food in local restaurants! The food was served on the roof terrace which is absolutely gorgeous with plenty of seating choices and is a lovely place to sit in the morning and evening. Riad Bamaga is excellent value for the money for such a luxurious place with amazing facilities and greatest hosts. What more could you ask for?!
Colette, Jean-Jacques, Simon and the entire team please accept a huge THANK YOU from all of us, for your friendship and for your help in making our Morocco adventure a most memorable and wonderful vacation. We miss you and hope to see you in not too distant future.

Room Tip: All the rooms are large, air conditioned with large en-suite bathrooms and gorgeously decorated Moro...