“Good in parts”

Ranked #216 of 905 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional Moroccan restaurant set over 3 floors with a courtyard. Wonderful vies straight on to the Koutoubia mosque offering romantic ambiance especially at sunset. Suitable for individuals, groups and families with children as the menu also provides stone oven baked pizza and pasta. Every evening belly dancers entertain the guests around 21.30 For a short show
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Went there on last night of our holiday with my wife. My wife skipped the first course but I had the pigeon pastilla which I enjoyed. My main course was the Royal Couscous with mixed meat brochettes - the brochettes were good; the couscous, which also contained chicken and lamb was a bit insipid - however portion size was not a problem - this was a mountain of food for one person. My wife chose lamb with prunes and sesame seeds - this was served without vegetables or carbs so I offloaded most of the potatoes and veg that came with my meal to her. We skipped puds because we were both full by this stage. Service was fairly shambolic. There was a long wait before we were offered drinks and our order taken. Then a very long interval between my wife receiving her main course and mine arriving. The waiter explained that the couscous dish took a long time to prepare but the last time I made couscous it involved pouring on boiling water and waiting 10 minutes - I guess they use a more exacting technique in marrakech. The highlight of the evening was the belly dancing - two very attractive young ladies who took my mind off the poor service and raised the tip that I was planning to pay from 0% to 5% (waiter received the latter without thanks!). Total cost with glass of wine, small bottle of water, and two coffees was about £50.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Good service, food was tasty- we had the lamb tagine and would highly recommend it. Nice atmosphere and decor.

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I agree with was seems to be the sentiment of a lot of reviewers: this place is not worth the money. Prices are high, the food is bland, and the service slow and unengaged. Nice locale and nice view though.

1  Thank Stockholm81
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Yes the food is pretty delicious with good size helpings and the service we found was just about okay. However, the prices have risen dramatically which might explain the fact that on a Saturday evening it was only half full.
The place has become patronisingly touristy with (admittedly very good) belly dancers. Not something we had to endure seven years ago. That is not to my taste but I had to admit that the place itself has still got a good atmosphere. Not that easy to find on the edge of the medina - look for the storks on the rooftops opposite.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a beautiful place in a prime location overlooking the square and I loved the decor: magically lit and adorned yet not overdone. Typical of Marrakech restaurants, you are left for what seems like ages before being asked what you would like to drink. For thirsty alcoholic Europeans, this is quite an uncomfortable position - best to accost the waiter as soon as you sit down! The cooked Moroccan salads were fine, as was the beef tangia and pigeon pastilla.
We were charged for a bottle of wine we never had... rumour has it that this is not unusual for Marrakech, and it's as well to be vigilant in general when checking your bill.

1  Thank CheshireCharlotte