“Good value and service, slightly further out”
Review of Riad Davia

Riad Davia
Ranked #348 of 1,160 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Just returned from eight days in Marrakech where my boyfriend and I stayed in Riad Davia.

Location-wise, it is a 10-15 min walk from the main square which means you are deep in the local area and you don't notice the other tourists until you are about 5 minutes away from the square. This was really great for us as we enjoyed being that little bit further out in the less touristy areas, however it is important to bear in mind that if you are wanting to wear slightly more skimpy clothing-which is acceptable in the more tourist parts- you have to walk 10-15 mins through the really local part to get to the square where this isn't really acceptable (people will stare).

The riad itself is really cosy and well priced- we paid roughly £400 for the eight days. However, something we were not sure about is that you get charged for EVERYTHING extra- every drink that you order, including the bottles of water (you can't drink from the tap- generally I would advise you to buy your water from the shops and put it in the fridge/freezer). So be prepared for those extras to be on your bill. We ate dinner one night in the riad which was really lovely (my boyfriend considered it the best chicken tagine he had ever eaten). We had a pasta salad, bread, the tagine, and then cut up nectarine. It was, however, the most expensive meal we ate the whole time-particularly considering the fairly inexpensive ingredients, so if you are trying to keep the price down, watch out for this.

Despite the cosiness of the riad, it is important to bear in mind that the main area to relax in is the covered courtyard which is quite small so if you want to keep yourself to yourself (and who doesn't when they are on holiday!?) then I would make sure you get one of the suites with the little balconies overlooking the courtyard (there are two of these rooms). That way you can sit and relax in the evenings without necessarily having to mingle!

The staff are absolutely lovely (we only met two of them). The main member of staff, Habib, was absolutely charming- some might consider him over-friendly! But that is a matter of opinion. He made sure we had everything we wanted- he even brought a present up to our room for my boyfriend on his birthday and made sure he had the food he liked for his birthday breakfast! I suppose this wouldn't be the riad for you if you want to keep to yourself completely and come and go as you please. You don't have a key, you have to knock, so you have to have a chat whenever you leave and arrive etc.

Overall, a lovely, traditional, quiet riad with amazing service and everything you could need. I wouldn't chose another one!

Room Tip: Go for one with a balcony so if you don't want to mingle in the riad courtyard you can have some...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leah P
There are newer reviews for Riad Davia

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Riad Davia was adorable, and like nothing I had seen before. Staying in the sooks in Marrakech is not luxurious, but it is incredibly exciting and culturally fascinating. Life is nothing like home, surprises await around every corner. Marrakech is stunning, although boisterous and maze-like. Riad Davia is the perfect peaceful place to return to after your wild adventures through the sooks. It has the aura of a spa, with excellent service and beautiful romantic rooms. I would recommend it to anyone, the only downfall is that it is about a 15 minute walk from most main streets and since streets are often not labelled and there are no maps, you must rely on locals to lead you back to the riad. Be sure you know the general area by sight before you wander away.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank 80wolves
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a lovely time staying at Riad Davia a couple of weeks ago. The Riad's courtyard, terrace and rooms were traditionally designed with a pristine finish. We enjoyed the private roof terrace for breakfast and sunbathing and we had fresh mint tea in the lovely courtyard in the evening with the Riad manager, an absolutely charming and knowledgeable chap. Overall, the atmosphere was very tranquil, thanks to the courtyard tree and plunge pool - a relaxing and calm oasis away from the hustle and bustle of the medina.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sazza B
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Bonjour!

I just came back from a 4 night stay at Riad Davia with my boyfriend. Riads are different to a hotel so make sure you know the difference before booking, on saying that I would definitely choose a Raid over a hotel any day, it feels really homely and the staff are always at hand to help and are happy doing it – on that note I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the staff at Riad Davia especially Habib, you were amazing :o)

PS: If vising Marrakesh for the first time make sure you negotiate all prices as low as possible, don’t be shy! e.g. on my last night I was quoted 250 DRH for a Henna but when I walked away she said fine pay 20 DRH what a difference, lool! You get my point!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tsoile
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Friendly and very helpful staff is the highlight. We are a family of 3 with a young kid. Habib and Achraf have made our stay really enjoyable. The room is clean and comfortable. The home-made cake which is a must-try, is a highlight for my son!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SabrinaRan
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Myself and a friend stayed here for 5 nights and we had the most amazing time! The riad is beautiful and peaceful, our room was very clean and we even had our own roof top terrace. The staff were so helpful, organising us a trip to the Atlas mountains and even offering to walk us to the main square at night, we both felt very looked after. I think the breakfast was a real highlight, every morning it was different, such a treat! I would definetly recommend this riad and if I ever visit again I will without a doubt want to stay here again!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank HumiA
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I met our 25 year old son here for a week's holiday. Our son has been living abroad and we hadn't seen him for six months. Riad Davia was a great place to spend some time chatting with our son and enjoying his company. The riad is located in a 'real' area of the medina rather than a tourist zone. It is perfectly safe to walk around at all times of day and night. The rooms are lovely and the riad is generally charming. Most importantly though, the staff are among the most helpful we have met while travelling. They cater for your every need in a relaxed and unobtrusive way. Achraf speaks excellent English and is able to recommend good restaurants to suit your wishes. The riad is mid-price range for Marrakech and is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family