WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Riad Aya

Riad Aya
Ranked #29 of 1,186 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Hamburg, Germany
“a wonderful place of peace and quietness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We loved staying at the Riad Aya. We directly came from Germany and had never been in an arab country before. In Riad Aya we immediately felt at home. Thanks to Sofia and to all others who work there! They were so friendly, helpful, answered all our questions and gave us helpful advices. The Riad is a place of peace and quietness and a perfect starting point to explore Marrakech. We like to come back - but the next time we will fly direct. On our way back our luggage stayed for one day in Madrid, because Iberia Airways didn't manage to bring the luggage from one delayed maschine to the next delayed maschine...finally we got it at home ....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank angela g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

The staff was very friendly and helped out with everything we requested. They even went out of their way to help us out with little things such as getting bus tickets. The riad is in a convenient location and is very quiet inside. We'd stay there again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
StAlbans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

I loved staying at this Riad. The staff, led by Sophie, were polite, helpful and professional. The Riad was clean and everything I wanted from my stay. I found getting around Marrakech was easy and Sophie was able to give any help needed. Although the Riad is tucked away, off of the main street, I always felt very at home walking alone to and from the Riad and around the area. Many of the places I wanted to visit were a short walk away and I had an amazing stay - I can't wait to go back to Marrakech and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful, however I loved staying on the first floor, with views down onto the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

Took a group of nine ladies friends for one week in October 2011 to Riad Aya... I initially chose it after my daughter's name...I had great hopes in it but I was very disappointed, and arm twisted... I contacted Sofie the --allegedly-- manageress who seemed at first to be very helpful and agreed to all my requests..i e like paying the outstanding balance once the group arrives and in their rooms--... I paid my First deposit-- worth £800 via a credit card.. Few weeks before we landed, I spotted a price discrepency on one of the internet site... I believe-- as any one would do-- I rang her to query the discrepency.. She was very rude, ubrupt, didn't listen, didn't seem to understand the question. then all in all she started blaming me for not being a travel agent, refused to give me my deposit back, and refused to even let my friends into their rooms before the full balance is paid...
I had to stay in the Riad for the week and bear her mood, she insisted on interfering in our programm trying to sell all the excursions, the trips, the restaurants, and even imposing herself to teach Belly dancing, eventhough she is not a qualified teacher. She even flogged a map of the city-- that anyone could get free from any other riad-- for 30dhs to one of the ladies.
I have travelled allover, I do understand the culture difference from one land to another... But I never come across any disappointing, shocking customer service similar to what Sophie offerd us.
The Very first day we were at the riad, in her office, sophie started shouting yelling at me, pointing her fingers to me, she had someone else with her in the office-- I think of a French origin-- who got introduced to me as--the owner-- This latter saw sophie and heard how she was speaking in a very obvious loud voice but was still supporting and defending her.. I was very shocked, I had no Choice but to adhere to them as I could n't get my deposit back... Two days after I found out that the French speaking man with her turned up to be her boyfriend.
If anyone wishing to use this riad pls be aware that you will have to buy what sophie offers. by sophie's price... She seems to be looking at her commission first before the guests needs...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Traveller462
Roma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Sophie the Manager and the staff all of this Riad have been so professional and politeness. Riad is clean, confortable and the breakfast is excellent.
located inside the Medina, 8/10 minutes by walk to Jamaa el fna square.
The staff of the Riad could give you the help you need for everything.
Max e Anto

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Maccsmad
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

We thoroughly our stay at Riad Aya and would highly recommend it in terms of personal service, ambience and comfort. The staff were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble for them. The location was near to the centre of Marrakech. We would recommend having a guide for sightseeing as we found it quite difficult to find our way around.

Room Tip: We had bedroom Anis which was quiet and cool.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bloomfield_11
Marrakech, Morocco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

I have been to Marrakesh a number of times and have stayed at other Riads so felt quite disappointed, its located quite a bit from the main square and is not easy to find at all, the room smells strongly of damp I think this is the bathoom, breakfast is pretty simple pancakes and rolls with cold coffee as I have previously paid less and had a better stay I found this place expensive and only average I expected better.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo