“A day with Saeed, I would gladly do it all over again!”

Marrakech by Locals
Ranked #102 of 1,334 Tours in Marrakech
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: marrakechbylocals was created with the firm purpose of providing an enjoyable Hassle-Free experience to all those who visit Marrakech. Saeed The Founder of MarrakechbyLocals is a local expert and Marrakech-lover who is fun, driven and passionate person who love sharing his favorite spots in the city and its history. In marrakechbylocals we focus on quality, not quantity. For this reason, we organize Small Group Walking Day Tours & Small Groups Day Trips From Marrakech so you can enjoy the experience to the full. Being a tour guide is a job where personal contact is critical. Hence, for Saeed, the greatest satisfaction is to know that you've enjoyed the tour and had a good time discovering Marrakech and its Surroundings. All recommendations and local tips you will receive during the tours are not motivated by commissions. Tours organized by Marrakech by locals include: Walking Tours in Marrakech Medina, Cooking Class in Marrakech and Day Trips From Marrakech
Reviewed September 20, 2016

I've heard and read about how overwhelming it can be in the Medina of Marrakech, and before embarking on a walking tour of the area, I searched diligently for a tour guide that would take away all my worries and address my concerns. Thank god, I found Saeed online! I am quite impressed with what I've read on his website "Marrakech by Locals" as well as, the many people here on Trip Advisor who has given him excellent reviews. I would like to echo their sentiment. In all my travels, Saeed is by far one of, if not, THE BEST tour guide I've met. Why is this so? Because I payed attention to him from beginning to end and did not roll my eyes whenever he cracks a joke.

More often than not, when I am in the company of a tour guide, I have this tendency to drift away and ignore most of what they are saying (opting to read about the places I see via guide books or the internet after i've come home instead). no disrespect to these other hard working people, but it always felt like all the information a tour guide says is just a distraction from my photography. However with Saeed, my photography has taken a back seat, and listened eagerly to the next information he will impart. That's how brilliant he is!

Did I just say he's BRILLIANT? Yes! He is! In the span of 3 hours or so, I've learned so much about Morocco, the city of Marrakech and the way of life in the Medina without the feeling of having information overload. His jokes are well-timed and well-intended without being forced or corny. I think we spent a lot of time laughing as we made our way through the medina. He is very patient and flexible too. Since I was with my mother on the tour, he would always look back to check on her and adjust the pace we are going. Me and my mother, really had a great time! I would say, we were well taken care of. Most importantly, I found Saeed to be a very genuine and kind person, at the end of the day he even dropped by the Riad to give my mother a little present, which is very nice of him.

I could go on and on about how good Saeed is, but you will never really get to know what I'm talking about unless you seek his services when you are in Marrakech. A day before we met Saeed, we were told by another guide that Saeed's rates was higher than others in city, probably a desperate attempt to have me hire this other guide instead, however i was not swayed. I went with my gut and did not cancel with Saeed, i'd rather pay premium and not be hassled. Besides, that is the point of Saeed's services, clearly stated on his website and attested by many people. No matter how much my mother (and sometimes, myself) love to shop, I really would like to keep it separate from sightseeing, specially in a place like beautiful Marrakech. Everything is done in a cultural perspective and should you want to go shopping, you can do it after the walking tour. Which is what we did.

I guess with all the insider tips Saeed has given us about how to deal with the locals, how to take photos in the souks, bargaining, and choosing which stall to eat at Jemaa el-Fna, he gave us all the confidence we needed to go back to the souks after our tour with him. That afternoon, we had fun in the souk by ourselves, all the while applying what Saeed has taught us. For that, I am truly grateful for him. My only regret is that I wish we could have stayed longer and maybe take him to dinner and just hang out like friends i know we are going to be for a long time.

So, to anyone who is interested in hiring Saeed as a guide, i highly recommend him - PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE! Drop me a message, and i will personally vouch for him.

Thank you Saeed, hopefully one day when i come back to morocco we can have tea and share more stories again!

Date of experience: September 2016
"booked this tour"
in 9 reviews
"four hours"
in 6 reviews
"happy to answer questions"
"wear comfortable shoes"
in 5 reviews
"jemaa el fnaa square"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed September 8, 2016 via mobile

We met at 9am, in a small group with an excellent guide, Saeed, who spoke exemplary English and was extremely knowledgable.
He guided us around the main tourists sights (including Bahir Palace) bought us a drink, on a balcony overlooking Jemaa el Fna square and the snake charmers and market stalls, and gave us an introductory tour to the Souks, including meeting local artisans and showing us the Souks that the locals use.
Saeed made everyone feel welcome and was always happy to answer questions. The four hours flew by and although we walked a long way, it didn't feel that way.
We were really pleased to have this super introduction to the city from a local in a small group (without the pressure to buy, as all other tours appear to be shopping tours-welcome relief!).
We would highly recommend Saeed and the tour, as it was very good value and really helped you get your bearings in a new city.
Thank you very much Marrakech by Locals!

Date of experience: September 2016
2  Thank lou_is_a_star
Reviewed August 3, 2016

Me and my Mum met Saeed last week for a tour of Marrakech. He was brilliant, very knowledgable about all aspects, from locals, royals, and traditions, to architecture and the best places to go and see. A great way to start the holiday to get good bearings and to understand customs. Thanks you Saeed! :)

Date of experience: July 2016
2  Thank Vicki M
Reviewed July 26, 2016 via mobile

My partner and I go on quite a lot of city breaks and will always track down the best walking tours whilst there but this tour is the first I've done while on an all inclusive holiday. I knew that Marrakech would be too beautiful and culturally rich to spend the entire ten days by the pool, I was right!

We met Saaed at 9am to begin our walking tour to be advised that we were the only two people who had booked a tour that morning, from then we knew we were in for a treat as we could ask him questions and take the time to stop and discuss what we saw along the way. Now, this tour is more about Morrocan culture in Marrakech, not necessarily focusing on it's historical context. However, Saaed is extremely knowledgeable and could answer all the questions we had regarding it's history.

Lasting around 4 hours, Saaed guided us through the winding souks; explained the architecture in Bahia Palace; bought us a drink on a roof terrace overlooking Jemaa el Fna square; showed us a communal oven; and even bought us a prickly pear each!

The highlight of this tour was definitely Saeed - he is warm and so easy to talk to but more importantly, he is contagiously passionate about his home and its culture, making the tour interesting and informative.

It was definitely worth leaving my sun lounger for.

Date of experience: July 2016