We stayed at Villa Al Assala for two nights. We were very impressed by the decor and beauty of the villa and the pool and poolside were very attractive. We were warmly welcomed and served mint tea on the sofas in front of the pool. Our room was spacious with a nice balcony overlooking the gardens, which were pretty and well maintained. There wasn't a bathroom door however, which was a bit awkward as we were two friends sharing and the shower went hot and cold.
The breakfast was extremely poor and basic, considering this is meant to be a nice hotel we were very disappointed. We had received a far superior breakfast in the Riad we had stayed in the previous few nights. Breakfast consisted of toast and cake or a fruit salad and a pot of tea, one morning we got juice and the other we didn't. My friend is allergic to gluten, so they made her a small omelette instead, this was OK but they offered nothing else in addition, so we asked for a fruit salad. They brought this and then had the cheek to try and charge us for it on the room bill. However when we said we weren't happy about it the manager took it off without argument, but with no apology.
Another problem we had was with the private transport they offer. The Villa is situated in the Palmerai area of Marrakech, which means you need transport to get anywhere. The transport they offer is expensive. We were told that a journey into the centre, with a fews stops and then back to the Villa would cost 200 dirhams, after a lovely night out we got back to the villa and our driver Rashid asked for 300! We told him it was meant to be 200, and he said he would settle for 250, which we ended up giving him as there were no staff around to check with. This took the edge off a very nice evening out, as no-one likes to get ripped off. We complained to the manager Lucas the following day, and he agreed that we should have been charged 200 and he would sort it out. He didn't get back to us all day until we asked him about it later. He then replied that they would knock 50 off the airport transfer! I said I wouldn't get back into a car with him, so he took the 50 off our bill. I couldn't believe that we received no apology and that the manager is happy to carry on using a company which try and rip off his guests. When we requested a normal taxi to come pick us up, they refused and said they couldn't and always use this company. So we decided to drag our cases to the road, rather than give them anymore of our money.
Overall I would say that the poor management lets this place down. The local staff (apart from the drivers) were actually very nice and friendly, and obviously worked hard. If you decide to stay here don't get in a car with Rashid, he will try rip you off and having spoken to other guests we know it's not the first time he has tried it on either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An exceptional site in the full heart of the Palmeraie, and at only 10 minutes of the effervescence of the Jamaa-el-Fna Place, our property is offering a wonderful park of one hectare of olive trees, fruit trees and palm trees. Around the swimming pool, all is calm and pleasure to relax and enjoy the delicate and discreat service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Villa Al Assala Palmeraie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Al Assala Palmeraie Hotel Marrakech
- Al Assala Palmeraie Marrakech