“Great stay in Marrakech”
Review of Riad Elixir

Riad Elixir
Ranked #526 of 1,133 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay in Marrakech”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I loved Riad Elixir! I was welcomed at the airport by a driver who took me to the riad and met Moha who looked after me during my 2 night stay. I was the only one staying there and had a lovely bedroom on the ground floor which was good size. The location was great inside the old city however it was far away from all the tourist traps you felt like you were in the 'real' Marrakech a bit more. Moha made me feel so welcome and gave me travel advice and took me to see some of the spots. He's also a great chef, best tagine I had in the whole of Morocco!
The rooftop was really nice to lay out on and it was really peaceful. I was here at the height of summer and although it was amazingly hot, the fact there was only a plunge pool was absolutely fine. Don't be put off by lack of pool!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Hannah L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Javea, Spain
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I have just spent five wonderful days in this riad.We were met at the airport by Majid and taken there , and were greeted by Moha on arrival. From that moment on we were treated like family members,we had our own key to come and go as we pleased.We also had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the riad, Jeremy and his wife and family, they were staying there because his parents were holidaying from France.Moha organised two trips for us with Majid as our personal driver and guide, one into the mountains and the other to the Atlantic coast both of which were excellent. Our great cook,Lamia(hope I have spelled this right)prepared fantastic meals on two of our evenings, what more could we ask.Moha was always there when we needed anything, even providing a welcome beer after being out all day.The riad is a relaxing place to return to, after the hustle and bustle of the souks.We felt that we were at home day or night, a good choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canarias, Spain
Reviewed April 17, 2013

On a recent trip to Morocco, I stayed in riad elixir for three nights with a small group of friends. If you want a taste of real Morocco and a wonderful atmosphere I highly recommend this riad. Honestly, since the first moment we entered the riad we felt like we were at home. I wish we could have spent more days here! The host, Moha, has been helpful in every way possible, be it showing us where the central square was, finding us cheap food, or even going out and fetching us cigarettes. I couldn't imagine staying in a better place. If you are staying in Marrakech I definitely recommend that you stay in this riad. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 6 nights on our recent 2 week holiday to Morocco. We were the only ones in the Riad for the majority of the stay and I have to say that Moha is the loveliest host! We were met at the station by their driver Majid and as soon as we got to the Riad, we knew that this was going to be a stay we would never forget! Moha helped us plan our itinerary whilst in Marrakech including several day trips to Essaouira, Ourika & Ouarzazate.
The inhouse chef whips up the most delicious Moroccan specialities using local produce and I even had the chance to observe how they were made.
I have no hestiation in recommending this Riad and I definitely intend to return and stay again. Thanks Moha!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 16, 2013

If you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the souks and and Jeema El Fna then Riad Elixer is a wonderful choice. You get to explore and see more of life in the Medina as you have fun winding your way back after a hard days bargaining for that illustrious teapot and you can take some amazing photos of street life and doorways along the way. Don’t worry if you get lost, just ask one of the local women (avoid the men and children unless you want to be led to a mates shop or are willing to pay an eager and friendly child a small fee) for directions to the Bab Tagzout the local square and gate and then it is just a few alleys away from a delicious mint tea and the haven of Riad Elixer. If you decide to eat dinner or immerse yourself in the night life of Jeema El Fna and don’t want to venture back after dark, it’s easy enough to get a small taxi’s to drop you back.

We stayed for 4 nights and found Moha to be a fabulous host. He is friendly, helpful, well organized and goes the extra mile. He will help you to plan an itinerary if that is what you want, book bus tickets or drivers for you to go to the Atlas Mountains or the coast and offers good advice -don't buy anything on the first day! He will escort you to where you want to go – the gardens, and if it is taxi ride away he will go for the ride. He took us to the bus station and saved us time by pre purchasing the tickets. He gives you his mobile number so if you get lost or need anything you can just give him a text. Moha is genuinely interested in how your day has been and wants to ensure your stay is a good one.

The rooms are clean and well heated (we were there in January so it was getting a bit cooler). We were in a downstairs room that was nicely decorated, the bed was comfortable and the room was cleaned daily. The only worry was we found the water pressure in the sink was not so good and the electricity plugs a little dodgy which meant the lamp to read in bed didn’t go but this is all minor in the scheme of things.

The roof top garden is a lovely place to sit in the sun and read and there is a lounge area with a sound system and magazines. The courtyard is decorated in traditional Moroccan style with the compulsory orange tree. Moha had put a sail type covering over the open aired roof in case of rain (I am sure the sky view from the courtyard would be stunning if it was open for the summer). We didn’t get to try out the plunge pool in the courtyard but can see it would be very inviting in the heat of a Moroccan summer.

We have to say that the highlight of our stay at Riad Elixer was the cuisine! We had lovely breakfasts each morning of fresh coffee and a different style of warm local bread and delicious spreads. If you decide you would like to eat in Moha will ask what you would like and chef Lubna produces a wonderful 3 course feast. The first night we requested fish tagine and it was one of the best we had in Morocco. For the 2nd meal we asked for couscous. The starter was a yummy bean soup, so yummy we had 2 helpings. Wrong move as not long after Moha came out with a stunningly presented couscous and enough to feed 6 people! Moha also found us a good bottle of Moroccan red to wash it all down.

Staying at Riad Elixer is value for money and Moha certainly gives it that special personal touch. Thank you Moha for your hospitality … it is long way from NZ but we hope to visit again one day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed in this riad for 7 nights. The ambience and decor is very authentic. Rooms are comfortable,very clean and quiet.
The manager Moha is incredible. He was so helpful with my itinerary and took me to some wonderful places. It was like having a great Moroccan friend. It is worth driving to Essaouira and over the Atlas Mountains if you have time.
I highly recommend this riad , you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2012

A beautiful Riad away from the main madness of Marakesh, which keeps things quiet. The rooftop level lets you really enjoy the sunset and stars. Our rooms (we stayed twice) were both well presented and air-conditioned. Elixir's manager, Moha, was great to us, helping us with our itinerary and various desires, and fun for a chat and beer in the evenings.

As aforementioned, the riad is quite a walk from the souks and square, so get a map (Moha will be able to help you with this) as even though it's quite a simple route back to the riad, Marakesh is known for its winding streets that all look the same! As in the review below, ask women or older men directions, unless you want to pay for a young guy to take you a roundabout route for more money.

Overall, a great place and a sanctuary from the busy centre if thats what you want. A lovely manager too, which means we'll visit again someday too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple