“Resplendent Riad Chic”

Ranked #11 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Sevenoaks
“Resplendent Riad Chic”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

It's been a while since I travelled "properly". Having a desk job and enjoying good but predictable Western hotel chains has evidently softened me up. Marrakech was a complete culture shock. The heat was oppressive; it was 40 degrees when we were there and the mercury will be heading for the 50s in July and August. The smells, the hawkers and the mad max moped drivers add to this very alien melting pot.

But, bear with it. My wife and I transitioned from severe culture shock to acceptance to complete enjoyment over the course of our 5 day holiday, greatly facilitated by what is without doubt one of the best hotels we have stayed in.

Noir d'Ivoire gets it right on two key fronts. Firstly, it is stunning. This is an interior design mecca. Resplendent Moroccan cool with the original features of the Riad expertly restored to their full glory, set off by flawless interior design. Real wow factor. Secondly, the staff are excellent. The young manageress was engaging, knowledgable and a great ambassador for her country. Her team were attentive, entertaining and welcoming throughout. A special thank you to Hassan for your suggestions of what to see, when to see them and how to navigate the maze of the Medina. We greatly enjoyed our visit thanks to your expert local knowledge and warm welcome.

To cap it all, we had one of if not the best meals of our trip on the first night at the Riad, cooked by the Riad's resident chef "Mama". Lentil soup and chicken tagine wouldn't be our usual menu choices but Mama delivered subtle spice flavours and perfectly cooked food. We both agreed that she had the edge on Maison MK. It was a magical start to our holiday.

A thank you to all the staff at Noir d'Ivoire. Bravo.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Randl93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights for our honeymoon in May, it is truly wonderful here. It is a beautiful, peaceful riad and the staff are so attentive.
We ate dinner in the riad on our first night and it was delicious. The breakfast here is also scrumptious and there are no time restrictions when you can have it, if you want a late brunch it's no problem.
We were provided with a local mobile phone to use during our stay which was very helpful.
We will definitely be returning

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Riad Noir d'Ivoire for four nights in May in one of the smaller rooms (Tourterelles). We had read the reviews and booked nine months ahead. Our room was charming with windows toward the small alley and the winter courtyard. We did not find it noisy and in fact, enjoyed the natural light it provided. We were there in a hot spell for May and appreciated the plunge pool, waterfall, and drinks in the summer patio. The first evening we ate dinner in an alcove off the patio and had one of the best prepared vegetable tagines while in Morocco (they are often overcooked). Breakfast was extremely well prepared and the cook even made accommodations for my husband's restricted diet, creating special items for him that were delicious. There are designer touches throughout and several different public spaces--a bar, library, and two patios. The staff are truly dedicated to making your stay enjoyable (including recommending and booking us excellent tables for dinner at local restaurants).

1 Thank Tucson_Traveler2014
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband surprised me with our reservation at Riad Noir d’Ivoire from 29 May – 2 June 2014, and it was a magical visit from beginning to end! Afaf, Hassan and the entire team treated us like royalty, and we were left wanting for nothing. A few times we were even alone at the Riad, which made us feel like it was our own private residence – really a home away from home! Everything written in other reviews is true and special, from the mobile phone that guests are given down to the sweet donkey Couscous who pulls the luggage cart. Our flight back home on our departure day was only in the evening, and we were not only allowed to check-out of our suite late, but we were also given another room to relax in (after a few glasses of wine on the house) before our transfer to the airport – a perfect way to end our stay! The only item that I felt was missing, as mentioned in a previous review, was a full-length mirror in our room; however, this is really a minor detail and certainly had no influence over how much we enjoyed our stay. Riad Noir d’Ivoire is a very special place in a special city, and it has earned a permanent place in our hearts. We hope to return again soon. Thank you again to Afaf, Hassan and the entire staff!

2 Thank Sharon S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Riad Noir d'Ivoire for the first time last year and have just returned again. It is still glorious, a real haven and oasis of tranquility - not just from the bustle of magical Marrakech outside, but from life itself. The calm sound of the water feature, the incredible quiet of the riad given its location and the comforting sense of luxury and style that defines everything about a wonderful hotel.

Cutting to the chase - the staff are fantastic (friendly, smiley, engaging and happy to help but also happy to let you be), the breakfasts are a knock-out, the rooms are beautifully designed and furnished (I love the log fires - even though there was no need to use them) and the rooftops are a fantastic place to soak up some sunshine, while enjoying a dip in the hot-tub. Blissful. Beautiful bathrooms too - great location - really the list of positives is near endless...

Couldn't recommend it higher. If in any doubt, book it.

Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose one of the three rooms with a rooftop jacuzzi. Just blissful, peaceful and very relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Piers E
Walton on Thames
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Riad Noir d'ivoire is a wonderful place to stay when visiting Marrakesh. It is a short walk into the centre and other attractions. The staff were fantastic and always had a way of 'appearing' right when you needed them. It is a very peaceful and relaxing place, perfect for couples!

1 Thank kellywwwalsh
Toronto
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed from April 28 thru May 2.

I'm not even sure where to start - this riad deserves the #1 spot on tripadvisor! We were met at the airport by a driver who took us to the closest spot in the medina that cars can go. From there we were met by the famous Couscous and his friend who took our luggage to the riad. It was about a five minute walk at most. We were greeted like old friends even though we had never been there before. We were checked in and given time to catch our breath and then Afaf gave us all the initial information we needed. We had pre-arranged to have dinner at the riad on the first night. Mama's cooking did not disappoint!! We had dinner on our private rooftop terrace and it was outstanding!!!! I really mean that - it was as good as any of the wonderful restaurants we visited.

The room itself was beautiful. We stayed in the Guepard Suite. I was a little leery of staying in a riad as we have become used to some pretty nice hotels with all the amenities. This riad did not disappoint. The towels are thick and soft and the robes are a nice length and excellent quality. They also provide leather slippers emblazoned with the riad logo. The toiletries were very nice and everything you would need is provided.

This suite has a separate living room, bedroom, and bathroom, as well as a private rooftop terrace with a dining area, 2 sun loungers and a hot tub. The living room area was almost all floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the inner courtyard. I have to admit that I was concerned about the bed when I saw it as I am not a good sleeper even in my own bed but we both slept through each of the five nights we stayed and even slept in until 8:00 which I haven't done in about 20 years. Seriously. I also usually fall asleep watching tv which was also not a problem as there were quite a few English channels.

We ate dinner at the riad twice. Both meals were excellent. We had breakfast there each morning and that was exceptional. The only thing I would say about breakfast is that there is too much food. You can request whatever you want but I found just ordering toast and coffee was good for me because it always came with fresh fruit and yogurt. Although there is no coffee maker in the room, which is usually a huge requirement for me, you just pick up the phone and coffee will be delivered to wherever you want it within 10 minutes.

The cell phones they give you were your life line while in Marrakech. Anything you wanted, just pick up the phone and it will be delivered. You can also use it if you get lost in the medina (and you probably will if it's your first time). They will send someone to come get you.

Two things make this riad stand out. First, the decor. It is absolutely beautiful. The rooms are decorated to a high standard with every detail seen to. The public areas were also beautiful. I really can't imagine a calmer, more comfortable place to be. When you first enter through that anonymous looking door, your eyes can't stop moving. There is so much to look at it almost overwhelming. Every object seems to have been purposefully selected for its beauty. The whole experience was visually stunning and an oasis of calm in a busy confusing city.

Secondly, the staff. Not once, not ONCE, did we come in contact with a staff member who did not smile warmly and say something in greeting. Everyone was so friendly. When we checked out, the whole staff came to say goodbye. Very nice touch. Really made us feel like we want to return. Soon. And Afaf and Hassan - I don't know how to express how friendly, and helpfully they were. They really understood what kind of information a guest needs to have a wonderful holiday. Their restaurant recommendations, which we rarely bother to get in other places, were excellent. My husband went for a run one day and ended up going twice as far as we thought he would. Afaf worried about him like a mother. They even came to my room to tell me that he decided to run further and would be back in about an hour in case I was worried.

All in all, not only would I return to Riad Noir d'Ivoire, I don't know a single person that I would not recommend it to. Thanks to Afaf and Hassan and the whole team for making this holiday an experience I will never forget!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple