“Absolutely lovely!”
Review of Riad Noir d'Ivoire

Riad Noir d'Ivoire
Ranked #8 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Riad Noir d'Ivoire is a truly lovely, stunning and warm haven in the bustling city of Marrakech. We were there with our 2 boys, 11 and 15 who loved it just as much as we did. The staff is wonderful and add to the peaceful environment with their quiet zen-like approach to highly efficient service. My husband and I had a lovely suite with a private roof top terrace and jacuzzi - just the thing for a few days away, while the boys had a great room in the other part of the riad. Perfect degree of separation and togetherness.

We can't say enough positive comments about Daniel and Rebecca, their ideas on trips, restaurants and over all enthusiastic recommendations were very helpful to making our short family trip a success.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautifully decorated but if you can go for a suite with the private roof top t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,346)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is a beautiful riad, a true oasis from the chaos outside. But the best thing of all is the fantastic service and hospitality from the wonderful Rebeca and her team. All of the household staff are so friendly and welcoming, nothing is too much trouble, and they truly deliver service every day with a smile. Damian is a mine of useful information about Marrakech and will arrange anything you want, from dinners at the best restaurants to excursions to the mountains.

We stayed for a week with our two teenage children, and before arriving worried that this might be too long in Marrakech. However, we just relaxed and took it easy and were quite happy to spend a couple of lazy days in the Riad treating it like our home. From breakfast in the beautiful courtyard by the pool, to mint tea served on the sunny roof terrace, you are made to feel completely at home (if only you had a home this good!).

We took a cookery course one afternoon at La Maison Arabe around the corner and had a fabulous time. Everyone enjoyed it as one of the highlights (even our 14 year old son who normally avoids kitchens), and the chicken and lemon tagine we made was excellent if we say so ourselves!

All in all, a fantastic place to spend a short break in the heart of the Medina.

Room Tip: The Panthere suite with its own roof terrace (and jacuzzi) was luxurious
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I spent a long time researching where to stay in Marrakesh for the perfect romantic break for my wife and I. It's rare these days for expectations to be truly exceeeded, but that is exactly what Noir D'Ivoire does - in so many ways.

Tucked away in the Medina, the first thing to strike you is the ambience of tranquility and the genuine friendliness of Damien and Rebecca who welcome each and every guest personally, as well as offering advice and assistance about your stay.

And this then sets the scene - exquisite attention to detail, friendly and professional staff, wonderful accommodation in the form of the Zebre suite, beautifully cooked local food and an intimate atmosphere that simply cannot be recreated at large prestige hotel chains. In fact, we did visit the famous Hotel Mamounia during our stay and as pleasant as it was, it just confirmed that we'd made the right decision with Noir D'Ivoire.

I haven't stayed anywhere quite like it during many years of travel. This Riad's unique and appealing charm will certainly ensure a repeat stay in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: The extra outlay for one of the 3 suites is well worth it in my opinion - so much Moroccan character...
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Beautiful place!.... It is a lovely Riad.......Very nice decoration and attention to detail......employees where very kind and sweet........Rebeca is a great hostess.....she will make sure you feel at home!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

When you arrive at the Riad you are first met by Cous Cous, the donkey, and one or two of the Riad's staff at Bab Doukala Mosque. Your bags are carted to the Riad through narrow, weaving passageways. Vespas and cyclists fly by you, and the walkway/streets are busy with locals shopping at the stands along the way. Chaotic and wonderful at the same time. You arrive at the Riad within minutes. You are whisked into the building, the door shuts behind you and bliss! You do not even hear the sounds from the walk ways. Rebeca and Damien met my sister and I at the front door, our bags disappear to our room. Rebeca took us up to the rooftop deck for a glass of mint tea. Perfect introduction. Damien then showed us around the amazing property. And I mean amazing. Pool, mini gym, and multiple areas to relax in or hide away. And our room - gorgeous! The bathroom was to die for. Double sinks, circular bath with shower. We were in the Elephant room. We relaxed for about 30 minutes, then took Damien and Rebeca up on their offer for one of the staff members (Noireddine) to take us around a few blocks to get our bearings. Which helped reinforce the turns to get back to the Riad. Damien has the best suggestions on where to eat. He knows the area. The best was La Maison Arabe (near the Riad) and Kosybar (go at 530pm - before sunset, order a drink and watch the storks, in their nests, seated amongst the old wall of the Medina. The sunset was amazing. I think my sister took 50 pictures. If you are lucky you will see a few of the storks fly in!

After touring all day we would end up in the Riad's lounge to relax. The staff would stop by and ask how our day was and really be interested in what we did and how we loved touring their country. I loved ending our days in the lounge. So much fun and many laughs. We got to know 2 of the guests from MN there. We even had a light dinner at the bar. Which was so good. The Moroccan salad is fantastic. After hours Aziz was able to get us some light bites to eat after Mama(the cook) left for the day.

In the morning, we would be greeted by the kitchen staff, then lead to our table by the pool or rooftop or in the living room area. And have a breakfast of fresh fruit, breads and my favorite the yogurt. So good and a great way to start the day.

Best advice: Have the Riad set up a guided tour of the Souk area of Marrakech - at least for 3 hrs. I fought it because I love to wander and explore on my own. Bad decision. On our second to the last day, we realized we were missing a lot of the city. Our new friends Cindy and Larry from MN advised us to take a tour. Especially when they said.. Did you see? Did you see? We did not know what we were looking at... Our Guide was amazing. He helped us with tipping when you view an artisan who goes above and beyond, or if you have a snake wrapped around your neck, then visit the Cobras (yep, we did it - yuk!). It is usually 50 Dirhams = $6.

Beware of the young people along the streets welcoming you, then asking where you are from, then they tell you about a great place to visit. No problem, just being friendly. Say "La Shukran" No thank you and walk away. They love to get you lost so you have to befriend them all the way back to your Riad. Then they ask for a tip.... Yup, 2 season travelers fell for it. Damien prepared us but we fell for it.

My sister and I experienced the Hamam at the Riad. Which is a sauna, then you are scrubbed down with essential oils and salts. So relaxing!! Loved it. Perfect after a long day of touring.

I can not say enough wonderful things about the Riad Noir d'Ivoire. The day of our departure, my sister and I felt like we were leaving family. The whole staff was so warm and welcoming we did not want to leave. We will be back because I want to see Cous Cous again. (and the staff) I wanted to take him home. I bought him carrots at the street vendor down the street because I wanted favoritism over my sister.

You will love your stay here and never want to leave!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night stay and cannot recommend this riad highly enough. Everything in this riad is well thought out and extremely well run. Our transfer to the riad was swift and flawless, once through the painfully slow passport control we met our driver and then were subsequently met by a member of the riad staff who took our luggage and led us through the maze of alleyways in the medina to the riad, which in the chaos of Marrakech felt very reassuring. From the moment we arrived we started to relax and we were greeted by the very warm and welcoming Rebecca who showed us around the riad. The riad itself is beautiful and truly exceeds expectations. Due to our late arrival we arranged beforehand with Rebecca to have dinner in the riad and the food was excellent. Rebecca emphasised to us that we should feel that this riad was our home during our stay and I have to say that this could not have been more true. All of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Hannan showed us the way to a cash point the following morning and started us on the route to the Djemaa el fna. I emailed Rebecca before our arrival to ask her to make some dinner reservations in the restaurants we had chosen and when we arrived she had prepared a map for us with the location of these restaurants marked! She gave us invaluable tips on what to do and bars and cafés to try and the best routes to and from the djemaa el fna. The main square is only about a 15 minute walk away from Djemaa el fna and this provides you with a great opportunity to breathe in the sights and sounds of Marrakech. There are also plenty of taxis close to the riad.
We had dinner in Casa Lalla and Al Fassia; both were exception meals. As for Al Fassia, every second person arriving seemed to know the owners and were met with a hug and a kiss! The food and service was exceptional. We had lunch in le Foundouk and Dar Moha, both were again very good but I preferred Dar Moha. Dar Moha is close to the riad and lunch is served in the courtyard around the pool. The mix of colours, water and excellent food steps away hustle and bustle was very peaceful. We also ate lunch in la terrasse des épices near to Djemaa el fna and the food and views were also excellent. As for bars and cafés, there were so many to choose from. Le grand balcon in djemaa el fna is a great location to watch the activity in the square but I found the staff and cleanliness in le café de France much better. Le grand café de la poste in la nouvelle ville was wonderful for an afternoon drink after exploring Yves Saint Laurent’s jardin marjorelle. We found café arabe very nice for after dinner cocktails and le comptoir was a fantastic place to experience the belly dancers! Damien was perfect in his timings of when to arrive in order to catch the show. We arrived about 10.30pm after dinner at Al Fassia and at 10.40pm the lights dimmed and ladies balancing silver tea trays and candles appeared through the doors on the staircase. They were quickly followed by numerous belly dancers who danced around the diners. The show lasted about 20 minutes and was well worth the overpriced drinks!
As for shopping, you can shop just about anywhere, on any street but I liked rue Moussaine and rue Semmarine, the shop owners in the souk Semmarine seemed less pushy. We also visited the Berber tannery and saw the people working on the leather and dying process. I bought a bag but expect to be shown several rugs in the shop!
At the time of booking we didn’t realise we would be travelling during the festival of Aid al Adha and many shops and restaurants would be closed, but Rebecca’s help ensured that we made the most of our visit. We found the people in Marrakech to be friendly and helpful. A few words in Arabic made a huge difference and following Hannan’s language tips we ended up finding ourselves with two very kind invitations to celebrate the festival in people’s homes! Being a French speaker was also a definite advantage to us but most people have a good knowledge of English too.
I don’t think our trip would have been complete without a hamman and massage and as we were only staying in Marrakech a short while, Rebecca and Damien went out of their way to arrange an early morning hamman and massage for us. This meant the Riad emloyees in the spa having to come in early in the morning but nothing was too much trouble. The hamman was a wonderful experience and a great way to reward tired legs after 3 days sightseeing!
Overall we had a wonderful stay in Marrakech but it was the riad Noir d’Ivoire that made our trip exceptional. Rebecca and Damien saw us to the door on our way out and this couldn’t have felt any more homely. We will be back to Marrakech and I wouldn’t stay anywhere else.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The stunning photos of the Riad Noir d'Ivoire speak for themselves and do not lie, but the bit you can't see and just make this place fabulous is the welcome and service. Marrakech is exciting and busy and for us, rather unfamiliar. This Riad is a haven of beauty and reassurance. We were given the best advice for not only sight seeing but also restaurants which fitted our specification perfectly. We were given a mobile phone in case we got lost and no end of help getting to and from places. Breakfast on the terrace looking towards the atlas mountains was dreamy and we just loved the whole experience. I cannot recommend it enough.

Room Tip: We saw 3 rooms - all beautiful and modern moroccan - all quiet.
1  Thank Demetra L