“Functional.”
Review of Toulousain Hotel

Toulousain Hotel
Ranked #399 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed November 5, 2011

The initial impression of the room wasn't great, to be honest. But the place was clean enough, comfortable enough, accessible enough... breakfast was nice though! And all the staff I encountered were very friendly and happy to help, especially the lady at reception.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Toulousain Hotel

Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had room 25 - it was on the 1st floor and we paid 200 dirhams so it was one of the cheapie options. The bathroom was a walk down the hall. We weren't given towels, not sure if this was an oversight or extra, had our own ones anyhow. In retrospect, I definitely wished we had paid extra and got something downstairs, or at least a fan as the sun shone straight in through the window making it boiling by late afternoon! Shower was ok although drainage slow. Glad to find I could actually use my hairdryer in the power sockets. However the courtyard provided a lovely relaxing place to sit and read downstairs - excellent if you are waiting for your ride to the airport etc. Breakfast as others have mentioned was very good for the price and they do a nice coffee. Also very convenient for the Cafe du Livre next door - a nice place to hang out, read a book over a cocktail, wine or beer & listen to music. All in all a perfect cheap one night stopover place.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground floor if you want a shadier spot or en suite. First floor rooms 23-25 es...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2011

For this price, you can't ask for more. We just needed a roof and a bed for an overnight stay. But I have to say I expected the washroom (we asked for a room with private washroom) in a little better shape. The bed and overall the room is clean however. The pleasant surprise is the breakfast which was really delicious. Overall I am satisfied for the cost I paid.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed in this hotel twice. The first time was ok, we had a room with fan (the rooms with fan are 280 dh. and without 200, but it's really worth it!!) It was a nice room, downstairs with a nice clean bathroom with toilet.It was room number 1.

The second time we had room number 17. upstairs and it was dirty and we had bugs in our bed! It was not nice like the first time. there was no fan and since the room was upstairs it was extreemly hot! We didn't sleep a lot and woke up alle the time because of the heat and people comming back in the middle of the night.
The bathroom was old and the water in the shower did not run away well. There was no toilet in the room, but outside the room.

The breakfast was nice with bread, marmalade and yoghurt.

Room Tip: don't take room 17!! Room 1 is ok!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Boemien, Public Relations Manager at Toulousain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Sorry you had a not so good experience at room number 17. I wish you had told us while you were here, we would have changed the room for you or do something to make your stay more enjoyable. The fan for example, you could have rented a fan at the reception for 30 dirhams more (3 euros). Regarding the bugs, we found out about them on August 21st (date of your review) and we did not find any bugs in the room. Nevertheless, we treated the room just to be safe! We are always praised for clean rooms, so I do not know where the bugs came from? Maybe a customer had them travel in his backpack from the mountains. Or they were just passing by :) In any case, the hotel is bug free! And please remember to signal anything you do not like to the receptionist so it can be fixed in a timely fashion. We hope to see you again in our hotel.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

This place is full all the time because of the price. It is adequate for travelers who just need a place to sleep and a continental breakfast. Not badly located, but be careful of the pitch black street. Except for a palm tree in the courtyard, there is nothing about the Toulousain that would let you know you were in Morocco. The rooms are just basic old furniture, no design, no taste. Baths have hot water, but miniscule towels.

I broke my foot right outside the Toulousain at 7 p.m. in the winter on a Sunday night as there were no street lamps and no businesses open to light my way. Trying to get away from some rubble that I could barely see in the dimmest of light, I inadvertently stepped off the curb with my full weight behind the fall and fractured my foot. The staff were sweet but could not really direct me to a proper doctor or hospital. A friend of mine in Marrakech was called, and he found me an excellent orthopedist.

The owner of the hotel did come back into town, chatted with me about the accident mentioning that i was the THIRD bad fall due to this street lamp problem. He was kind enough to take me to the airport in his car.

The breakfast is good, though not abundant. Rooms are cold as tombs in winter, but you may have heat if you pay extra for a small heater. Beds are plank hard and blankets are heavy as lead but not warm. Sorry about the cliches in description but these are accurate adjectives.

Room Tip: Wireless Internet reaches the downstairs only.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We stayed here after leaving a supposedly luxury hotel. It was a stop gap and we were pleasantly suprised, the hotel was very basic but honest. It was cheap, wi-fi was free, te breakfast was great. Way better than the so called luxury hotel we stayed in. The staff were so helpful, nice and honest and restored our faith in Moroccan people. Another bonus was it being right next door to the wonderful Cafe Au Livre. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BGroovy25
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We spent a couple of nights at Toulousain and really enjoyed it. The room was ground floor and huge with sink. The shared facilities were clean and the breakfast delicious. Free wifi was a prerequisite for us.
Location was good, about a 20 min easy walk to the medina. Hotel is in a quiet location though sound seems to travel a bit from the hallways and someone with kids banging the doors but besides that it was definitely satisfactory - would recommend

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple