I put a lot of effort into finding what I thought was the right Riad for a trip I planned for my mothers 60th with my sisters. I wanted it to be amazing, having been to Marrakech before I wanted my family to love it as much as I did.
Unfortunately our stay at Riad Nerja was not as I had hoped.
There were no other guest (or staff) this may have seemed like a bonus as we get the place to ourselves with undivided attention...didn't happen.
1. Firstly, it is customary in Morocco to be greeted with warm mint tea. Instead we got the owner coughing and spluttering everywhere because he had a cold. He also had his coat on, (the Riad was freezing the whole time we were there - see point 2).
2. Heating in 1 room and the communal area didn't work.
3. The Riad is about a 15min walk through very dark, very narrow derbs (alleys) quite nerve racking. I thought I had prepared myself for this but the reality is something else. The distance is not as close as other reviewers have said.
4. We were awoken each morning by the owner clanking & banging pots, making our breakfast. he was doing this at 8am. We weren't usually ready for breakfast until 10am, by which time all the breakfast was cold & had to be reheated in the microwave & became rubbery, disgusting.
5. The breakfast was laid in the cold central court everyday even though we preferred using the advertised roof terrace to catch what little there was of the morning sun. The owner begrudgingly laid the breakfast out there once because I insisted on our last morning.
6. On leaving he attempted to charge us for teas we had in the evening, something we assumed was complimentary. We said this and he instantly dropped the idea of charging, seemed like he was trying it on.
All in all very disappointing. This Riad was low to mid price range, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for (& sometimes a little less)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Traditional guesthouse , great charming and confortin the Medina of Marrakech. Located 20 m from the airport and 10 minutes walk from the main square. Recently restored according to traditional moroccan art, the riad has been carefully decorated with magnificent furniture made in the traditional way with luxury carpets & shimering hues fabrics. Riad Nerja's pure arabic& andalusian architecture makes this place an ideal one, made to take advantage of the moroccan peacefulness way of life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Riad Nerja reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.