“Disappointing December trip”
Review of Riad Nerja

Riad Nerja
Ranked #590 of 1,167 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I put a lot of effort into finding what I thought was the right Riad for a trip I planned for my mothers 60th with my sisters. I wanted it to be amazing, having been to Marrakech before I wanted my family to love it as much as I did.

Unfortunately our stay at Riad Nerja was not as I had hoped.

There were no other guest (or staff) this may have seemed like a bonus as we get the place to ourselves with undivided attention...didn't happen.

The Problems.
1. Firstly, it is customary in Morocco to be greeted with warm mint tea. Instead we got the owner coughing and spluttering everywhere because he had a cold. He also had his coat on, (the Riad was freezing the whole time we were there - see point 2).

2. Heating in 1 room and the communal area didn't work.
3. The Riad is about a 15min walk through very dark, very narrow derbs (alleys) quite nerve racking. I thought I had prepared myself for this but the reality is something else. The distance is not as close as other reviewers have said.

4. We were awoken each morning by the owner clanking & banging pots, making our breakfast. he was doing this at 8am. We weren't usually ready for breakfast until 10am, by which time all the breakfast was cold & had to be reheated in the microwave & became rubbery, disgusting.

5. The breakfast was laid in the cold central court everyday even though we preferred using the advertised roof terrace to catch what little there was of the morning sun. The owner begrudgingly laid the breakfast out there once because I insisted on our last morning.

6. On leaving he attempted to charge us for teas we had in the evening, something we assumed was complimentary. We said this and he instantly dropped the idea of charging, seemed like he was trying it on.

All in all very disappointing. This Riad was low to mid price range, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for (& sometimes a little less)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mak D

Reviewed May 8, 2011

At first time, the riad isn' t easy to find, but soon you get used to the alleys etc and even are going to enjoy it. Very friendly and helpful staff and breakfast and diner are unbelievable good! The roof terrace is an oasis of rest, in daytime and also very romantic in the evening. Rooms are beautiful and taken good care for.
the big square, the souks, royal palace, menarsa school, all are walking distance.
tip: take a ride by caleche to the Majorelle garden, so great.
the manager organized on our request a trip to Ourika Valley, (luxury) car + driver to our disposal for the whole day, and for a reasonnable price. Recommended.

Room Tip: the sultane suite
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2011

My partner and I spent a wonderful 4 days and nights at Riad Nerja. Every morning we were greeted with the smiling faces and laughter of Aoued and Fatima. The breakfasts with the bread hand made by Fatima are not to be missed. Aoued also doubles up as a chef and one evening cooked us a sumptuous lemon chicken tagine. The Riad is only about 20 mins walking distance of the Djemaa El Fna (main square) and at the price is a real gem. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2011

The Riad has very Morrocan style rooms ,nice furnishings but the beds are not comfortable.
The staff are very friendly and helpful .
Every cup of tea ,( the tea was made wrong once) drink of orange /water etc is charged. The wine available in the Riad was bad quality and charged at €15 a bottle.
Breakfast was lovely .

Regarding Marrakech Medina a cultural experence but things are expensive for visiters and local people constantly try to charge and do too much. Even after haggling with them I had a couple of experences when the shop trader could not except the word no . this was quite scary.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My stay in this lovely Riad was wonderful, certainly a great experience I would like to repeat. The riad is located in the centre of Marrakech, a beautiful city and essential stop if you want to discover and experience Morocco's culture. The location of the riad means that you can walk anywhere and getting back at night is not a problem.

When I got to marrakech i was picked up by who I believe is the manager. This polite and helpful man drove me to the riad and briefly told me the best attractions of the city, which he seemed to know very well. Once in the Riad, my room was very clean and absolutely beautiful, the scale of colours used and moroccan style furniture made me feel closer to the moroccan culture yet allowing me to stay in a luxurious and relaxing Riad. The service was also the best of the best, I had everything I needed.

It was a shame I only got to have dinner at the riad once, as I was busy discovering the city and culture in just a few days, as the food was magnificent and traditional. This is the second time I visit Marrakech, the first time I stayed in a hotel which separated me from the outside world. To really enjoy your stay in this city, I highly recomment staying in a traditional Riad such as Riad Nerja. It truely captures the magic of this great city.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Samuel061
Reviewed January 16, 2009

This riad is in a very old part of the Medina away from the main tourist areas but only a 15 minute walk away from the main square. Make sure you get directions from the manager to direct a taxi there. The manager showed us the way on foot to the main square - along narrow alleyways. Looked a bit scary at first but we soon came to feel quite safe and thoroughly enjoyed walking between mopeds & donkeys. The riad is quite a find - the manager and staff were friendly & helpful. Don't bother eating out cos the evening meals are a real Moroccan treat. I'm vegetarian and they produced food to suit. Everywhere very clean especially the kitchen which we walked through every day. Avoid the over priced places around the main square - OK for a coffee just to people watch. A trip up to the Atlas mountains is a must - we used Sahara Expedition and went on a day hike up the Imlil valley. Make sure you have good walking footwear though. The 'hop on, hop off' open top bus was good value and the Majorelle gardens are really worth a visit. Be sure to bargain really hard. Don't make eye contact or acknowledge anyone who pesters you. Don't expect to drink alcohol in public in the Medina but we enjoyed a bottle of wine with our meal back at the riad. Maybe not for those who like luxury 5* accomodation. I love a bit of luxury but feel I experienced Marrakech in a much better way by staying in this riad. Planning to stay there again and maybe explore more of the Atlas mountains.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank littlesisterWales
Reviewed April 4, 2008

This is a nice Riad that is very clean and stylish inside. The room we stayed in was lovely. The staff in general were also very polite and friendly (although we did have a problem). The owner is helpful with helping you get there and will come and get you. However, this Riad is difficult to find. This was a second visit to Marrakesh over a two week holiday so we were a little familiar with the Medina and the problems you can have finding your Riad. We had stayed at another Riad the first time. All I can say is that we had an absolute nightmare trying to make it home at around 10pm that evening, it took us over an hour and the whole experience was quite scary with lots of people approaching us for money etc. This Riad is definitely off the beaten track and some local trades people in the souks had even told us to be careful getting there in the dark. When we got back to the Riad and explained our ordeal to the owner..he just breezed over it completely. Nice Riad but my advise would be to ensure that you get a taxi home at night. In the morning we had wanted to do some shopping but didn't want to take the risk of getting lost again so the owner recommended that we go to the "local government" artisan shop which he took us to and did the old "handshake" with the guy on the door. I am not convinced that this was the government run shop. It was miles away from the one that is identified on the Rough Guide map (Highly recommend rough guide for travelling in Morocco) and it was full of rubbish to be honest. We bought nothing. We then went back to the Riad to get our taxi to the bus station which wasn't too far away. The owner called a taxi driver he knew. The taxi driver charged us 100 dirham to get to the bus station. It should have been half the price but we were so annoyed at this stage that we just gave him the money as he started shouting at us. Incidentally, we travelled on to Essouira for a few days which was lovely and absolutely great for shopping - pretty much hassle free, compared to Marrakesh anyway. What really annoyed me is that the owner knew we were going to Essouira but didn't say a thing about shopping being available there, he said our best bet was this shop he took us to and the quality of the products in the markets at Essouira was much better.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Kaz_d1234