“A tranquil haven” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 1,169 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“A tranquil haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My daughter & I stayed at Riad Carina in October 2013. What a wonderful experience. Right from the start we were made to feel welcome with mint tea & cookies, which were always readily available. Badr & the team are warm, friendly, knowledgeable & nothing is a bother for them including organising a taxi to collect us from the airport. The Riad is in a great location, close to the Jemaa el-Fna & within easy walking distance of the Souks, Badii Palace, Saadian tombs, Bahia Palace & the Ben Youssef Medersa to name a few. The Riad is a calm & peaceful escape from the intensity of Marrakech. It is tastefully decorated in the Moroccan style. Our room was on the roof terrace from where we could see the walls of the Badii Palace complete with stork nests. The room was very clean & comfortable. Be sure to book in for dinner at the Riad, the food is just as good if not better than any you will eat in Marrakech. Riad Carina is also excellent value for money & we would certainly stay there again & not hesitate to recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: The roof terrace roof was quiet & removed from the other rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this Riad at the start of 2013 - we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. The riad was beautiful, room was lovely and all of the staff were very friendly.

A substantial breakfast was provided, which sets you up for the rest of the day.

Riad set in a quiet street right on the edge of the main square so perfect quiet location with easy reach of the Souks and main square. All has a roof terrace to enable time to relax. Definitely recommended it to all.

If it is your first visit to Marrakesh I would recommend arranging a taxi via the Riad. We arrived at night and thought we would make our own way to the Riad - it was a mistake but luckily helpful locals helped us to find our way!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is a lovely riad tastefully decorated in the Moroccan style. The staff were so helpful and friendly, their made our stay carefree. The mint teas and cookies are readily available to chill your mood. We enjoyed having it on the roof terrace which is so stylish and quiet and you can literally see the walls of the Bahia palace next to it. We could not find a better located riad, it is never too far from the sights: the Bahia palace, Musee Dar Si Said, Saadian Tombs, lovely Tiskwin museum and Koutoubia mosque.

We are glad we chose this hotel, this place of tranquility to chill after venturing colourful and crazy streets of Marrakech.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yana75
Kathmandu, Nepal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was looking for budget hotel and noted many recommendations as “Riad” about which I was not sure and thought this must be a word for hotel in Moroccan and decided to choose this one. I was expecting it like a normal hotel as in big city but very basic in terms of facilities. When I walked with my taxi driver, I was bit upset to see where I am staying. It was a small street, one after another old houses from both side, joining each other and bit bad looking as well. But when I entered inside the Riad, I was so surprised to see how well it was maintained and attractive to please and chill my mood. Actually, Riad Carina exceeded my expectation as I was thinking that I have chosen a simple budget type hotel with limited facility. But it was totally different than I thought. Welcomed with Moroccan smiles, mint teas and cookies, which was really refreshing. The room was so clean and nice with limited but quality bathroom amenity and comfortable bed. Staff was so helpful and cooperative. Really nice atmosphere inside and you feel like a paying guest with a host family. Certainly recommend to all if you are looking for cheap and best option. They also well organized my Sahara trip by calling a local travel agency which was a great deal. Cost-wise too this was a good choice and close to the tourist attraction.

Room Tip: Only six rooms - all more or less same - no external views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mukesh S
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Everything was just absolute perfect about this Riad and my boyfriend and i were so happy that we chose to spend our whole week here!

The Riad is just beautiful and the staff were so wonderful and helpful - especially Meriem, who made us the most wonderful breakfast each day (i would definitely advise having bed and breakfast as this sorted us for the day!). She also assisted us with any problems we had, made us mint tea every afternoon and held the most wonderful cooking class, teaching us how to cook and prepare a traditional Moroccan meal, which we then later ate on the roof of the riad by moonlight! It was magical!

The Riad is in a fantastic location, as it is lovely and peaceful, but about a 10 minute walk from the main medina which was perfect for us! We also had access to two sister Riads through Riad Carina which meant we had access to an outdoor and indoor pool! Which was nice to go and relax by after an afternoon of walking!

The Riad also arranged all our taxis and a trip to the Atlas mountains for us and we would definitely recommend doing the same thing, as you have none of the hassle of agreeing prices etc with taxi drivers as they sort it all for you! We would also recommend asking for Yoseff as he was the most wonderful driver and a pleasure to spend time with!

Hospitality and location couldn't be better! We would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Riad Carina gets it right in so many ways: the location right next to the Bahia Palace is fantastic, the riad is tastefully decorated and has a very relaxing roof terrace (plus you can use the sister riad's fab swimming pool for free), not to mention the amazing staff who are always on hand to help and did a wonderful job looking after us.

Yet, it wasn't quite the right place to spend my honeymoon. Although I knew what a riad was, I hadn't realised that the doors and windows to your room were merely visual aids, you could hear practically everything else going on in the other rooms, and equally everyone else could hear you. I have no idea if this is particular to this riad or if this is a common feature in all of them, but at times I was nearly ready to pack up and go home early.

The staff tried their best to ensure guests were quiet after a certain time, yet some noisy fellow travelers kept me awake or woke me up many nights. It also really bothered me that we never had any space to ourselves - I was quite conscious that when we were having a conversation in our room it would be overheard by everyone else.

I would definitely recommend this riad for a couple of nights stay but if you're on your honeymoon and you're in Marrakech for 10 days, I'd book somewhere more private.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank StyleHighClub
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed in Riad Carina during Ramadan in July 2013. Despite it being Ramadan and the fasting / prayer schedules the staff were very welcoming, always available to answer our queries, advise on the city and places to go and provide as much mint tea as we could drink (which is free if you are staying there). Special thanks to Syed, Meriem and Safia who were wonderful hosts. Riad Carina is less than 15 minutes walk away from the main square (Jemaa el Fna) and less than 10 minutes walk away from one of its two sister Riads (Riad Diana) where you can enjoy the plunge pool and have a deep-cleansing Hammam. The rooms are cleaned daily and a hearty breakfast with fresh strong coffee and orange juice is served from early until around 10am. A perfect place to stay if your budget will not stretch to the more expensive hotels (which are further away from Jemaa el Fna anyway), with good cleanliness, a small library of guide books left by previous travelers in different languages, powerful showers, great staff and lots of glorious fresh hot mint tea and biscuits.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple