“Better go to another place”
Review of Dar Salam

Dar Salam
Ranked #493 of 1,170 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I have spent 4 nights in Dar Salam 2 (next to Dar Salam, belongs to same owner). As it was already written, the rooms on the roof aren't real rooms, but some kind of tents. It was pretty cold in january, the small heating wasn't really a big help. The only great thing was beautiful terrace, what a pity, I couldn't share it with my friends, because the owner wasn't OK with that (I really would love to point out, that we weren't loud at all, the owner had just problems with my friends, local girls, what's in my opinion pretty racist; the european tourists (even guys) would be welcomed)!!
My room wasn't cleaned all those 4 days. The reasons given were that the second key of my room was lost. Location is really in a very poor part of Medina, by walking to my place I was asked many times to buy some drugs, etc. Anyway, it's about 20 minutes walking from Djema el-Fna.
The most disappointing thing was, that I forgot my shoes on this place. I had travelled 2 weeks in Morocco, so I emailed the owner to get my shoes back. She answered that she lets me know after asking the housekeeping, but it didn't happen anymore. I went to this place, but somehow I've got the feeling, that I am no more welcomed and that noone really wants talking to me about it.
I have seen many places in Morocco, stayed in many Rijads or Hotels and believe me, for this price you can surely can something much better!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Klara L

Reviewed December 19, 2011

The owner is very friendly and helpful (by far the best we met in Morocco). We had two rooms that just were built on the roof with a nice terrace, although chilly without the heater switched on. About 20 min from the central square and 10 from the main souks through varied Medina area. At one of the main streets. This is noisy during the day, but didn't affect our sleep during the night. You clearly hear the call for prayers and the roosters in the early morning, but that adds to the atmosphere (and probably is heard anywhere in the Medina). Average breakfast. Can be reached by car for baggage dropoff. The nearest good parking is 700m away.

Room Tip: Just check them out. The new rooms on the roof may be hot in summer.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We were so lucky, it's a nice place ! .
The staff are very freindly ,efficient and pleasant in particularly the owner and manager Sobha . The rooms are very warm and clean .
Sobha is a great cooker so if you have never tried the moroccan gastronomie it's the time !!!
You won't be disappointed .
Very helpful, always available 24/24 hours .
If you are looking for authenticity, charm, kindness and good food, then go to the Dar Salam....

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 466David
Reviewed November 13, 2011

this is not a real riad only a housse 30 mn walking to the square and not save, the owner is a woman who lives there, she is not bad but her childrens are very rud to peaple and not polite, i have never heard hello from them during my stay one of them keep looking terribly foward me ,the room i have had was small and durty ,poor breakfast...... DONT GO THERE,

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marina k
Reviewed November 2, 2011

With Familiar Owner Sobha - very competent, soooo may languages She speaking! spanish, italian, enlglish, franse - Mamma Mia!
Very Friendly hose small, family riad :)
Will come probably to the End of time if thay still will have a place for me :)!
See you in March !

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank dora1974
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I stayed in this riad for 5days, and i found the welcome very warm. the room was decorated in the traditional colours of morocco, and was clean . I have read other reviews about bed bugs and didnt encounter this at all. The staff were very helpful and nothing i asked or wanted was any trouble to them. I found my stay at Dar Salam very comfortable and pleasant. Also i would just like to add; this is a desert country and dust is in the air at all times , so if your room gets cleaned in the morning as it does, by the evening it will appear dusty, this is something that cannot be helped. Hope you enjoy your stay there as much as i did.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vallilondon
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Got bitten all over and although poilte and apologetic, one member of staff tried to claim that it was mosquitos. When I told the owner he barely registered any reaction.

Breakfast consisted of stale bread and watered down jam (v difficult in marrakech as there is fresh bread in every shop!). Eating in the morning was like being in a doctor's waiting room, silent and sullen.

Very disappointed as I had high hopes from the website and photos.

(I'm the kind of person who reads tripadvisor and ignores one or two bad reviews if they are outweighed by more good ones - I wish I hadn't done this this time, especially the review that warned me about bed bugs!)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple