Jnane Leila
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
La Maison des Oliviers(Lagouassem)
Le Bled(Marrakech)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Aqua Mirage Club(Marrakech)
  • Pool
All reviewsguest houselovely poolyogurttaxissuitemarrkech
Reviewed April 28, 2011

AVOID THIS PLACE!

I stayed here last week for five days, together with my wife and 2 years old son. It was booked by your website. Me and my wife (living in Amsterdam) are experienced travellers who have stayed in hotels all over the world, but we have never had an experience before as we had in this hotel.

In the first place, the staff of this hotel is only interested in your money. In stead of giving you a warm welcome, they are trying to charge for everything. The prices of the restaurant in the hotel are way beyond what is common in Marrakesh, besides the fact that the quality of the dishes is very poor - this includes the breakfast. You would expect something different in this category. It was clear we weren't the only guests who found the restaurant dissatisfying; everyone we spoke complained about it. Not so strange that the place was empty every night.

We brought some food to our room for ourselves and my son, because we did not want to order the overpriced and bad food. When the staff found this out, they came to our room and said in a rude way that it was forbidden to keep food and drinks in the room - a rule we weren't aware of. When we complained about the quality of the restaurant, they got very angry. Instead of listening to our complaints, they behaved as if we are a sort of drug dealers that did something very illegal by bringing food to our room. The tone of voice was aggressive, intimidating and very unpleasant.

It became worse when we checked out. We saw that they have put drinks on our bill, that we didn't order. When we asked politely if they could remove these of the bill, they refused. When we said that we weren't going to pay for drinks we didn't had, the tone of voice became extremely aggressive and threatening. It was obvious that they were not happy with us, because we did not spend enough in the hotel - they say this out loud. Because the driver of the hotel shuttle refused to bring us to the airport if we did not pay the bill, there was no other option than to pay for the drinks. (We had to pay a huge amount, double of what was on their price list.) It became really scary, with four members of the staff threaten us. They did not use physical violence, but it came close. We left Morocco shaking and full of adrenaline. This was the worst way imaginable of ending a holiday.

We would have left these place earlier, after our first experience with these people, but one of 'the rules of the hotel' implies that we had to pay for our stay in advance. Because I found this quite uncommon, I told them I preferred to pay afterwards. But that was not an option. They wanted the money right away.

Besides this we didn't have water at all on two mornings and for two days only cold water. The terrace was dirty, with plastic bags, no chairs or cushions and a filthy plastic matress to sit on. This place looks as if it's in decay. It doesn't come close to the pictures you see on websites. We had to wait half an hour for your breakfast. And wifi didn't work.

Based on other reviews on internet (check i-escape.com and tripadvisor.com) I understand the place is under new management. It is not the first time guests are confronted with intimidating and rude behavior. I would strongly advise to avoid Jnane Leila and stay somewhere else, you would not wish anybody to have these same experience - or worse!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
16  Thank 00MJ25
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Driving up through Marrakech and into Jnane Leila we both thought 'what have we done!' We came off a bery busy road and told this was the hotel. However, on arriving inside the grounds we were totally taken aback - the grounds of the hotel are beautiful and we instantly forgot about the busy road outside. The pool is lovely and cold and kept very clean, the rooms are traditionaly morrocon with huge beds and big bathrooms.
The staff were very friendly but the only downside is the service is a bit slow, so if you want to order, do so a good hour before you want anything!

It's great to be out of the smoke and crowds of Marrakech but you are close enough to go in whenever you want, but have the tranquility and beautiful gardens to come back to. Omar is the taxi driver who will take you anywhere whatever time, day or night and will take away the stress of having to barter for a cab at night.

Highly recommend this place to go for a relaxing time - very good value for money!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I booked this hotel through I-escape.com . I emailed Nizar to ask a few questions and he promptly responded, also booked the hotel shuttle to pick us up from the airport.
The rooms are traditional and charming. The grounds are well kept and quite beautiful.
I was disappointed that there was no complimentary bottled water in the room - something you would expect from a hotel of this standard.
Breakfast consists of two pancakes and a peace of sponge cake, freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee (no tea). I would have preferred a platter of eggs, cold meats, cheese olives and fruit etc.
Lunchtime and dinner menu are the same. We tried quite a few different meals and they are of a good standard. The service however is very poor and slow. The staff are pleasant and polite but could do with a little customer service training. I would suggest they visit the Indian restaurant inside Les Jardins de la Koutoubia where they will witness excellent customer service all for similar priced meals. They just need to be a little more attentive and be aware of customers. They also need to speed up somewhat. Ordering beers at the poolside often took up to half an hour for them to be brought to us.
If you want a peaceful and relaxing time then this hotel is for you. We found it perfect for a quick break for some winter sunshine.
All said and done we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2011

A luxurious place in a magic and pleasant decoration. Thanks to Houda and Sylvain for their warm welcome.
An address to be kept and to share affectedly. A welcome services of the most pleasant, the staff is present. Thanks to Nizard for his accompaniment throughout our stay. The pool, the places, are heaven of peace. The menu of the restaurant is magnificent. A place between cousin to preserve in the memories!!!
An access in the heart of Marrakesh easily accessible by taxi or bus and not too far from the frenzy jemma el fna place... I love this place...Houda and Sylvain encore un grand Merci :)))

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank stefanytravel
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I have just come back from 5 nights at Jnane Leila and could not imagine having had a better time. Having read the review below hours before arriving I was terrified that I had made a huge mistake. The manager of the hotel spoke brilliant English and nothing was too much trouble from car hire to organising a driver too and forth from the airport. The food was good and well presented and perfectly reasonable in price, the rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable, clean towels and sheets every day. There are a lot of staff maintaining the beautiful garden all of whom were polite and friendly always offering to carry bags or point you in the right direction if you needed something. I can not reccommend this hotel enough, don't be put off by the vast "waste lands" around it this seems to be a fairly standard vista on the outskirts of Morocco and is soon forgotten once you are within the walls of the beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple