“Nicely packaged hotel services, food and ambience” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Le Riad Monceau
Ranked #251 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Tiburon, California
“Nicely packaged hotel services, food and ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I, along with a group of friends, spent five nights at the hotel.

We had an excellent time, the staff was friendly and extremely helpful. The room while one of the smaller ones was more than adequate with a large (public) terrace outside our room and perfectly suited to reading and afternoon tea. The bathroom was large and a little dim but acceptable. The water pressure was very good and with plenty of hot water; families with children would be advised to supervise them, the water temperature bordered on scalding. I found the bed perfectly acceptable, my wife found it too hard. The breakfast was simple but excellent; fresh rolls, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order and strong coffee. The decor is extremely relaxing with a rooftop sitting area and casual seating around the (small) pool. We ate at the restaurant four out of the five nights and thoroughly enjoyed the dinners, at lunch the french fries are superb. The dinner is a fixed menu with multiple appetizer courses and a tajine as the entree. The wine list is limited but they served a number of very acceptable Moroccan wines reasonably priced, by San Francisco standards.

My wife signed up for both the cooking class and the spa. She thought the class was very good, there was a certain amount of prep work but as she likes to cook she didn’t mind and thought the result (lunch) was very satisfying. The spa was okay but nothing special; as others have noted, language was a bit of a problem.

As others have noted the hotel is about five minutes walk off the main square, Jemaa el-Fnaa, in an area not particularly salubrious and down a long narrow alley, but once inside it changes to a comfortable tranquil oasis.

One item of which guests should be aware: the guide arranged by the hotel was pretty ordinary. He didn’t appear to know much about the historical or cultural aspects of the city and was very focussed on pushing certain shops. My advice if engaging a guide is to be very clear at the outset on what you expect from his services.

On the morning of our departure we had to leave early and before breakfast was served, however, the night porter prepared orange juice and coffee for us, a nice touch,

If I revisited Marrakech I’m not sure I would stay in the Medina, it doesn’t feel particularly inviting at night and the new town has what appear to be an extensive collection of modern, full service hotels with numerous restaurants easy to walk to.

Overall an excellent choice as both a hotel and restaurant when staying in the Medina.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TiburonTony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

If you MUST stay in the medina, i would recommend this riad. The medina is crowded, dirty, overwhelming, and aggressive. This is literally RIGHT off the medina (15 steps-1 min walk), and it is a very luxurious place to stay. You feel like you just stepped out of the medina and into a small palace with accomodating staff and nice rooms. We had a suite, with a balcony, and jacuzzi in our room, but to be honest it was still quite small. So once again if you MUST stay in the medina, then I would recommend this place.

The front desk woman Riesling was incredible. She even went out and brought my wife a hairbrush when we couldnt find one in the market. As soon as Riesling leaves though, get ready for terrible service. The nighttime front desk people are rude, dont know anything, dont care about helping, and they act like youre bothering them for even asking simple questions. DO NOT DO THE COOKING CLASS. Its boring, long, and basically 4 hours of peeling vegetables (kill me).

Bottom line great place to stay if you want to be in the hustle and bustle of the medina.

Room Tip: Get a suite. Theyre not much more than regular rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CLonds
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I had been put off by a couple if reviews so glad I stuck by my instinct and booked dinner for my wife and I. The setting, food and staff were wonderful and we had a memorable evening and wonderful value for money. The set menu is varied and there will be something for anyone on it. There is no a la carte but for once that was not an issue and it was all part of the ambience as we sat in the middle of the riad eating and watching the stars.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ProfRussel
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other travellers, so please let me thank you for writing this nice review.
I understand you had a great time with us and I would like to assure you that makes me sincerely happy.
Ponsanooth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stunning, peaceful Riad in a great location close to the Medina in Marrakesh. The rooms are so lovely and spacious, although we were a little disappointed that we had to move rooms half way through our stay due to some booking issues. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and offer a great airport transfer service too. The food was excellent, great buffet breakfast. The Hamman wasn't so great and the treatments were disappointing. We had pre-booked our treatments but there seemed to be confussion as to what we were having, the language barrier turned that what was meant to be relaxing massage into a bit of a fiasco. Aside from this it's magical Riad and a great place to stay in Marrakesh.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katie A
Fontainebleau, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had a wonderful time there. The staff and the service they provide are absolutely outstanding. We really cannot stress this point enough. Helpful and smart high quality service, which is otherwise rare. Lovely Riad, in a Medina backstreet, yet still manageable to reach from the Jemaa El Fna square. The only bad things were a power outage on the first day and the Hammam. The Hammam is located on the roof terrace (which is amazing for a leisurely afternoon mint tea and from which you can even see the Atlas mountains). It is tiny and I think they get staff from outside, who are unable to speak English, which lead to a number of problems, including not getting the treatment we had already asked and paid for. Best to either go to a real public Hammam, or a Spa. Other than that, a great experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FalcoJava
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I booked this place as a surprise getaway for my wife's birthday and I couldn't have been happier! The staff couldn't do enough for us and the service was impeccable! It's a 1 minute walk from the main square with its hustle and bustle but on walking through the door of the Riad, the unquestionable tranquility of the place is surprising - an oasis in the middle of the madness.
Our room was as traditional as it gets and was so comfortable. The bath tub could fit a rugby team in and is set in traditional opulence.

You want location? GOT IT, you want great service? IT HAS IT, you want peace away from the madness - STAY HERE!

And you will be the luckiest person in the world if the lovely Riesling is working - very welcoming and humorous young lady who goes out of her way to help everyone

Will DEFINITELY be back

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sha g
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
hertfordshire, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

This place is an absolute haven. Located just off Jemaa al fina, down a charming street with some of the best food places we experienced. From the moment you walk in, the service is impeccable. Particularly from Riesling, the lovely lady on reception. She cannot so enough for you and always with the biggest smile on her face. The rest of the staff, cleaners, waiters etc all offer you a friendly hello each time you see them and cannot do enough for you. The riad itself is a quiet oasis with no noise whatsoever from the square. We couldn't work out how! We stayed in the marjane suite and it was stunning!!! Traditional Moroccan with beautiful furnishings and a giant bath tub. Marjane overlooks the pool and gorgeous courtyard area which, in my opinion was the best in house. We have often sat by the pool enjoying a glass of wine and seeing in the afternoon. The only point they could improve on is breakfast but it's light and sees you through. Just pop down to the end of the road for a beautiful sandwich of Moroccan sausage for roughly £1.50- it doesn't disappoint! The transfers are also great with a friendly driver who doubles as a charming our guide. As far as surprise birthday trips go, my husband blew me away and I will most certainly return. I've been fortunate to stay in some of the worlds best hotels but never have I wanted to stay in a place forever, until now!

• Stayed February 2014