“Unbelievably Amazing Riad”

Le Riad Monceau
Ranked #236 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
“Unbelievably Amazing Riad”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We decided that we would start our trip in a cheaper riad and then switch to Le Riad Monceau for the last half of our trip. We were walking down one of the random small streets near the square and were not impressed by the outside appearance. It is safe to say that that was the only time we were not thoroughly impressed by Le Riad Monceau.

The staff were amazingly helpful and sweet. They joked, they scheduled last minute hammams and dinner for us, they gave us directions to different places in the city.

The staff cleaned the rooms quickly and thoroughly and left us chocolates and rose petals on the bed. The hammam was great. The roof terrace was beautiful.

The restaurant was quite good. We had an amazing dinner the night before, but this one was still very good. I would recommend eating dinner here at least one night.

The location is perfect for anyone coming to Marrakech for the first time. It is right near the square. Staying here will give you a great home base and help you get your bearings.

While it may be expensive, it is totally worth it. I find it hard to imagine staying anywhere else in Marrakech going forward.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other fellow travellers, so please let me thank you for writing this very nice review. I understand you have enjoyed this time spent with us and this makes me sincerely happy.
I hope we’ll have the pleasure and opportunity to welcome you again if you happen to come back to Marrakech.
Promoter of the MarrakChef Trophy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The Riad and most importantly the staff are amazing. The photos on the website do not do it justice, it is a perfect getaway from the busy Medina. It's also perfectly cosy to have a romantic getaway from the world.

The staff are exceptional, a small team working very well together to make your stay perfect.

I rarely write reviews, but wanted to share my thoughts on this beautiful place.

PS... location wise it is perfect too :)

Room Tip: My fiance and I stayed in the Emir room and it was perfect for a couple. It is also nicely tucked a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Eulalia del Rio, Spain
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I spent Christmas here with my family this year and had a excellent time. Managed to find a deal on Expedia and jumped at the chance. We arranged for a pick up from the airport which was very slick and well executed - smart car, on time and not too expensive. The riad itself was a 2 minute walk from the main square. The building itself is very pretty, a beautiful courtyard area with a pool perfect for the summer months, a restaurant and a beautiful terrace at the top of the riad. What does slightly confused me is the comments calling it the lap of luxury. Yes it's very nice but I wouldn't call it luxury. I would defiantly refer to it as homely! The staff are what make this place - very friendly, helpful and attentive. But please be warned - after reading most of the reviews on here take them with a pinch of salt - they all seem very similar - most too similar! Almost as if someone has brought trip-advisor reviews??

Stayed December 2013
3 Thank AManInEivissa
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We were lucky to spend 1 full evening at Monceau. Started with spa and massage in a v typical beautiful hammam on the roof top.
Could have drinks in interior court of the riad which is as beautiful as the best pictures you can see on guides. Finally had dinner : preset menu can be annoying for some people, as far as we are concerned we liked it being another evidence (with the taste) that food was homemade. Staff is incredibly diligent .

Stayed December 2013
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Three of us stayed at Le Riad Monceaux over Christmas. We found it a real oasis of calm so close to the riotous bustle off the main square, and perfectly positioned for walking to the various sights of Marrakech. The square is two minutes walk, the Saadian tombs are about ten minutes, and the Ali Ben Youssef Madrassa and the museum are about 15 minutes, if you manage to walk straight through the souks without stopping.
The Riad is an eighteenth century building, accessed off a narrow street, and an even narrower side alley. It has seven rooms gathered round a very pretty tiled open courtyard, with plunge pool and palm trees. There is a lovely terrace with various seating areas perched above the rooftops, and many other quiet corners.
The ‘best rooms’ seem to be those on the ground floor - but there might be a lack of privacy as their doors and windows open immediately onto the courtyard and pool. Ours were on the first floor - large rooms, spotlessly clean, with welcoming bowls of fresh fruit, and mineral water. The windows of ours opened onto the courtyard below, the other onto the open balcony. Our bathrooms had beaten metal basins, huge tiled baths - plenty of toiletries were supplied, and replenished daily. I found the bed a little hard, and a mattress topper was found immediately.
One of the many strengths of the Riad is the staff. Without exception they were charming and helpful. We must single out Ghizlaine, the receptionist, who welcomed us on our arrival and sat us down by the pool with a mint tea and from that moment on, nothing was ever too much trouble. We had many interesting chats, and we found out more about Marrakech from talking to her, than from our attempted conversations with the drivers we hired to take us to the sights of the wider city and the Atlas Mountains. She is a gem.
We ate twice at the restaurant, and it was very good, classic Moroccan food. They did leave an a la carte menu in our room - but while we were there, this was not available. We had a set meal each time, with no choices - but everything was delicious. We could have joined the Christmas Eve party, a five course menu with music and a visiting dancer and singer - but we decided not to and ate that night in the square - a real must-do. Menu-wise, at the Riad, there does not appear to be any flexibility - I asked for a fresh orange to eat instead of the dessert, the second time - but this was not possible - a bit surprising given the mountains of oranges and fresh juice everywhere.
However - the food was so nice we decided to join one of the Riad’s cookery school sessions - learning to cook Moroccan style. The chef is renowned in Marrakech, and fifteen students crammed into the tiny kitchen on Christmas Day, to learn about making a lamb couscous, chicken tagine, vegetables, caramelised tomatoes, and roasted almond pastilla with scented milk cream. A brilliant opportunity, followed by a wonderful lunch.
Breakfasts are simple but adequate - fresh orange juice appeared every day - also a range of breads, sliced cheeses, jams and yogurts. A hot pancake is made for you every morning, and eggs any way you like.

We booked a driver for half a day to show us the sights of Marrakech we could not walk to - and found that he was not prepared to do that - just took us where we wanted to go. Slightly Kafkaesque, as we didn’t know where we wanted to go apart from Yves St Laurent garden, and the Palmerie. The former is OK, the latter, can be ignored unless you like driving past the high walls of very smart ‘could-be-anywhere-on-earth’ hotels, and groups of camels waiting to give you a ride.
We wanted to go to the Atlas Mountains, off the beaten track - and Ghizlaine asked on our behalf for a guide (not just a driver) who could take us on a one day tour. The resulting trip was so disappointing, ending at the tourist hell that is Sitti Fatima - not what we paid for at all. Subsequently, Ghizlaine and the owner of the Riad helped us sort out recouping some of the exorbitant payment for that trip, and we are very grateful to them. That is the test of a place - how they rally round when something goes wrong for their guests - and the Riad Monceau was just great in that regard, saying, ‘We do not want you to leave with a bad impression of Marrakech.’ On the contrary - Marrakech can be proud to have them, and their Riad, we’d say.

Recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vanessa G
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed December 20, 2013

"We wanted a luxurious stay in a traditional Riad and I'm glad we picked Riad Monceau. Staff were excellent, attention to detail is absolutely superb.
The main square is a short walk from the Riad - close enough to get there easily when you need to, yet quiet.
Meals by the poolside were exquisite, possible the best food I had in Morocco.
Best part - the rooms, which were simply all we could have expected. Very good hotel."

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Firstly, I want to thank the lovely Ghizlane who welcomed us and made us feel like family. She is a true credit to this riad. After mint tea and some Moroccan pastries, we were shown to our amazing room/suite. There are many riads in Marrakech and it's almost impossible to choose that special one without a personal recommendation. After much research, I decided on Le Riad Marrakech. We phoned from London and arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport which is a good idea for first time visitors. This riad is conveniently a very short walk from the main square of Jemaa el Fna. They arranged a professional (official) guide for us so that we may see some of the hidden gems within the medina. Ghizlane was also always there with a friendly face and perfect English to answer our many questions. At the end of each day, coming back to this riad was a relief from the chaos that Marrakech can sometimes be. We had a fabulous room with a Jacuzzi and separate shower. In the riad’s restaurant, we had the set menu on the second night which was equivalent to any top restaurant in London or Paris. All in all, a beautiful riad and lovely break from winter in London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the ground floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple