WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #254 of 511 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Oasis of calm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic place. Loads of attention to detail. Great decor, excellent food and a real sense of pride in everything they did. Picked us up at the airport as well which was great. Would definitely go back

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Jonnygoogles
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other fellow travellers, so please let me thank you for writing this very nice review. I understand you have enjoyed this time spent with us and this makes me sincerely happy.
I hope we’ll have the pleasure and opportunity to welcome you again if you happen to come back to Marrakech.
Promoter of the MarrakChef Trophy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
stuje1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Wonderful place that is in a great location right off a pedestrian market street and just a couple of blocks from the main square. Staying in a Riad is a great way to get a traditional experience. It is different from staying in a traditional western hotel, which is how you should experience your stay here. The main area of the Riad is beautiful and a great place to have a romantic dinner (food is excellent, best of my 5 days in Morocco). The staff of the hotel is also incredibly helpful. They are very nice and accommodating. Would highly recommend this Riad!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Marjane room, which was great (though note it is on the first floor right off the c...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other travellers, so please let me thank you for writing this very nice review. I understand you have enjoyed this time spent with us and this makes me sincerely happy.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Le Riad Monceau is indeed a lovely hotel, it’s its location that meant my husband and I couldn’t fully relax. The hotel can be found (with help initially) down an alley that also houses building works and a hostel. It is only upon opening the Riad’s door that you can forget about the beggars, motorbikes intent on running you down and the poor overloaded donkeys and horses outside. We stayed in the suite at Le Riad Monceau . This was not a suite as I have experienced before. You are paying extra for a larger room and a sunken ‘bath’ effectively. There is no separate lounge area and the dim lighting made it very difficult to see anything in the bathroom. The tea/coffee making facilities and the mini fridge were a nice touch and the breakfast was plentiful. Zahra made delicious omelettes and all the staff here were friendly and intent on making our holiday experience the best it could be.

The old town is a place where I wish I had only booked for one or two days to look around Jemaa El Fna square, perhaps the Musee Dar Si Said and maybe even a quick visit to the Gardens. This, I’m afraid is all there is to do unless you want to hire a guide who will take you to places further afield i.e. the spice market. We were envious of visitors who came to our hotel for an evening meal before leaving for their respective hotels in the new town where there was more atmosphere, rooftop bars and shops.

I would advise anyone needing directions to ask someone who owns a stall or shop as this means that they will be unable to leave it unattended in order to steer you in the wrong direction or take you the long way round before telling you their fee. On one occasion we made the mistake of following someone’s suggestion to visit the tanning leather market/auction. When we refused to buy anything they became very angry and even wanted to go to our hotel with us to get some money as ‘we have shown you our leather and rugs’. Be aware of people working in groups. One will approach to ask where you’re from and where you are going before dropping back and letting someone else take over. For each person that talks to you and walks with you, payment is expected.

Travellers’ cheques cannot be changed at any of the banks. Euros and dirhams are accepted. For anyone wanting a bit of night life, I would recommend Rock n’ Kech.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the suite. It isn't actually one, just a larger room. First floor rooms...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank T4Nina4
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other travellers, so please let me thank you for writing this nice review. I understand you have enjoyed this time spent with us and this makes me sincerely happy.
I note however you were a bit disappointed with the location of Riad Monceau. This is quite surprising as our location – known as the closest to the famous Jemaa El Fna square – explains why so many travellers choose our place among hundreds and make it so popular. But I understand also you were not really interested in the Old City of Marrakech and not really sensible to its charm and magic… So my feeling is you probably should have gone for a bigger hotel outside Marrakech with facilities such as large swimming pools, bars etc. This is definitely something the old city and its riads cannot offer and this is why we always recommend to travellers to carefully plan their trip which includes choosing hotel(s) with criterias that match their wishes and expectations.
The old city of Marrakech is definitely a special place and most people love it but of course some don’t and, as you say, in that case it is definitely a better option to stay outside and only come to the medina for a quick visit or enjoy a nice traditional meal at night. Restaurant Riad Monceau being then the place to eat.. This goes without saying :) Thanks again.
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This beautiful hotel in Marrakech has so much to offer. I was thoroughly impressed upon arriving, they staff greet you with a smile and they are incredibly friendly and ready to help. The hotel is also walking distance from the city center which is extremely convenient. I just love how they have named the rooms in a very cultural fashion. I actually picked the Sultan bedroom, which is a lovely suite on the ground floor so you have quick access to the gorgeous swimming pool. The room has a lovely modern design and comes with air conditioning which when you are in Morocco is definitely a necessity. The room comes with free Wi-Fi so I could easily stay connected to the internet. I really couldn’t find something to complain about, staying at the Riad Monceau was an absolute dream.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ron S
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guests,
The opinions of our clients are very useful to us as well as to other travelers, so please let me thank you for taking the time to write this very nice review. I understand you have enjoyed this time spent with us and this makes me sincerely happy.
Danville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our family of 3 including a 13 y.o. son wanted to stay close to the Jemaa and Souks. Read the review with this property especially about how quiet but convenient. And it's absolutely correct plus so much more.

The owner Isabel has been attentive and everyone at the Riad was helpful. The restaurant on site was wonderful. Breakfast in the morning was delicious and great coffee!

Again, we couldn't believe how close the Riad was to all the action yet it's like an oasis and the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.

We highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Our room at Sultan was very quiet. There are diners right outside but they finished around 9pm so it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

A lovely little Riad in an incredible location. Rooms are nicely decorated if on the small side & wonderful big bath. You must eat here at least one night - food is memorable. Cooking school was also a highlight.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Guests,
The opinions of our clients are very useful to us and other travelers, so please let me thank you for taking the time to write this very nice review. I understand you have enjoyed this time spent with us and this makes me sincerely happy.
I hope we have the pleasure and opportunity to welcome you again if you happen to come back to Marrakech.
Boutique hotel, gourmet restaurant and cooking school
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Couldn't ask for a better location in Marrakech - just a couple of minutes from the main square - a calm oasis in the mayhem around.
The hotel is charming, the entrance to our room was probably the best we've ever had at any hotel - we loved the little terrace outside where we could sit, relax and read.
The service was great - every member of staff was friendly, welcoming and keen to help. Isabelle the owner took care to ensure we enjoyed our stay - my husband was ill, we think from motion sickness from the Atlas mountain day tour, and Isabelle personally made sure we got some reliable medication and the head waiter in the evening rustled up a little supper for me that I could eat on my own upstairs on the terrace - thank you both.
Isabelle gave really useful tips of things to visit/not bother with.
The cookery course was excellent - a real must - loved having my own food served professionally at the three course lunch afterwards. The evening taster menu was delicious.
No wall-hung shower (this wasn't a problem though as others have suggested a low hook to have a sitting shower would've been useful). The huge tiled bath instead was different!
Pre-arranged taxi to and from was an added bonus.
The only blip to this excellent hotel was the breakfast, it was fine but average compared to the rest of the experience here. Fresh orange juice was excellent.
Pool is freezing so don't bother with swimming kit.
Beds very comfortable, we left the window open instead of using the aircon as there's always a breeze but you do hear the mosques calling at dawn.
Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Upstairs is better so you don't open onto the courtyard restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple