“Amazing stay”

Ranked #62 of 1,133 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Amazing stay”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Dar Zaman is a beautiful riad in one of the nicest parts of the city, close to the northern souks which feel much more authentic than the more tourist ones close to the main square. Hassan meets you at the taxi drop off and gives you some of the best advice on visiting the city while you have one of the nicest mint teas of the stay. Their recommendations cover some things the guide book mention, and some places they don’t, including where is best to go for sunsets, and where best to have your lunch as well as what to order at certain cafes (somethings aren’t always on the menu so you have to be in the know).

We stayed in the beautiful terrace room at the top of the riad, which felt very private and secluded, very welcome after the chaos of the square.

Unfortunately for us our stay was booked last minute, and only for one night, and the riad we were transferring to in the south of the medina was not nearly as helpful, kind or beautifully maintained as Dar Zaman. Due to a mix up in their booking system we decided to stay elsewhere for the next 4 nights of our trip, and called Peter to see if he could help us locate somewhere. As they didn’t have rooms available they contacted another riad whose owner they know, and met us in the square to escort us, as navigating the streets of the medina can be hard at first. Helping us out like this was far more than they were obliged to do after we had checked out from their Riad, but they are both so kind and helpful that they didn’t mind sorting it out, and helping us carry our bags.

I will recommend this Riad to all my family and friends, just don’t book anywhere else in the city for another part of your trip, as it may be hard to leave.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed in Riad Dar Zaman for three nights in May 2014 and the experience was absolutely amazing! If you are looking for authentic Moroccan experience, Dar Zaman is definitely the place to stay at.

The Riad is superbly decorated in Moroccan stile with an African flavour, perfectly tidy and gives a feel of a home. It is situated in the old town of Medina in a maze of little streets surrounded by local people, giving absolute peace a quiet from the hectic streets of Marrakesh’s old town.

The Riad’s inner open courtyard with plants, birds and a small pool is just amazing to see first thing in the morning. The employees are amazing, kind and friendly people who go above and beyond to cater to every need you might have. Customer service at a superb level!!! A shining star of the team is the guest manager Hassan who is always ready to help with anything you might need and is simply put a remarkable individual. It felt like a home and the only negative thing about it is the fact I am not there anymore.

The cook is absolutely amazing and you should try at least one meal at the Riad itself, as it was a best tasting food I had in all of Marrakesh, simply amazing. Breakfast is free and very tasty, don’t miss it! :)

I also took the Camel Ride tour and a guided tour of Marrakesh, both of which I highly recommend. Camel Ride takes you to a village where you meet the local people and enjoy their hospitality, and the guided tour is great as you learn many facts and interesting insights. If you have more time (I had 3 days in total), definitely also go to the Atlas Mountains to see the Berber people and way they live.

I will definitely go to Marrakesh again and staying anywhere else than in Riad Dar Zaman is simply not an option.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Dar Zaman with our extended family for 8 nights to celebrate my father-in-law's birthday. This beautifully decorated riad was in a fantastic location - close enough to all the excitement but wonderfully quiet on the roof terrace and courtyard. The included breakfasts were fabulous and the four dinners that we had in the riad were better than the meals we had in some of the leading restaurants in Marrakech. What really made the stay so special for us was the service we received from Hassan, Karima and Peter. We felt totally looked after by Hassan for whom nothing was too much trouble and his local knowledge and tips were a massive help. We cannot wait to return.

Stayed April 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

As part of our honeymoon we stayed here for two nights. Warm and helpful staff, comfy beds and incredible food! The best we had in Morocco! Definitely suggest dining in at least one night. In a quiet location but a very short walk to the heart of the medina. Would definitely go back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is my second time at this Riad. I chose to stay at Dar Zaman again because I felt very safe and having Peter (the owner) giving me all the support I needed was a major plus. The Riad is super clean, it has beautiful decoration creating an amazing ambiance, staff are very kind and it’s in the heart of Medina.

Peter took me on amazing day trips. I really had a fabulous time there. Can’t wait to go back next year!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hertfordshire
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is a delightful little riad with great, exceptionally pleasant and helpful staff plus fabulous breakfasts. I feel however that the terrace room is a little too small, there is not much space around the bed, small areas to put clothes, nowhere to hang a dress, only low level hanging space. The toilet is "open plan" ie no door from the main room, which is not ideal. Constructive criticism would be add a small shelf/lamp by the shower side of the bed for reading plus a mirror on the wall in the bedroom, there is a mrror in the toilet over the basin but it is quite dark in there. Having stayed at another Riad a few years ago unfortunately I was expecting a little more "luxury". The bonus of this room is mostly it feels you have your own roof top terrace!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
RiadDarZaman, Owner at Riad Dar Zaman, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
The room on the sun terrace is our smallest, snuggest room and ironically the most requested room for repeat guests. It boasts a 160cm x 200cm bed, and is the brightest of all the rooms as it receives direct sunlight; it's only dark inside when the window shutters are closed.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I could not have chosen a better Riad for my first trip to Marrakech. My friend and I have just spent four wonderful nights at Dar Zaman and felt totally at home. With just four stylish, compact but well appointed rooms, this Riad is a real home from home. My friend has stayed in two other Riads in Marrakech and whilst both had many positives, this Riad is the whole package. Hassan, Karima and Peter made us feel totally relaxed immediately by being friendly, kind, welcoming and cheerful. Both Peter and Hassan have excellent local knowledge and gave invaluable tips on how to deal with the day to day 'attention' from the locals, be they taxi drivers, souk merchants or children in the street offering their 'help'. They also have many recommendations for things to do and places to eat. We were never rushed and everything was for us, not for their convenience.

Dar Zaman is in a local neighbourhood of the Marrakech Medina and, whilst a longer walk to the souks and main square than more central Riads, we both felt it was fantastic to be in an area that felt real rather than touristy. Dar Zaman is in a very quiet back street. There is no noise from outside, apart from the occasional call to prayer which, in itself, is all part of the experience. As with any building in hot climates, there are lots of cooling, hard surfaces meaning noise from within the Riad does carry but this is not a major issue. My room, La Carbonne, was excellent with air-conditioning, a comfy bed, Juliet balcony and the beautiful black shower room - very contemporary but nodding to traditional Moroccan style. In fact the whole Riad is like this. The communal areas are comfortable and with a fusion design aesthetic which looks especially beautiful at night.

We ate dinner at the Riad on two occasions, the first, our three course arrival dinner and, again, on our final evening, the latter being by far the best meal we ate in Marrakech. Karima is an excellent cook and went out of her way to cook to order for a fussy vegetarian: three Moroccan salads and one Moroccan dhal-like dish to start followed by a divine potato, pea, olive and preserved lemon tagine for me (the vegetarian) and brochettes of spiced chicken with a fresh, herby salad for my friend. Dessert was a simple but effective and tasty cinnamon orange with vanilla sugar. We would urge anyone to eat 'à la carte' here at least once, even if you have the welcome dinner also. Breakfast is also great - a perfect start to the day with delicious omelettes, crèpes, pastries, fruit plus bread and preserves.

Riad Dar Zaman offers excellent value. I know there is a myriad of Riads in Marrakech which I can't possibly comment on but as a whole deal: comfort, style, cuisine, relaxed atmosphere, knowledgeable and friendly team and location, I would challenge anyone not to be impressed with this fabulous find.

Thank you to you all at Dar Zaman. We had a marvellous time in Marrakech, made all the more enjoyable by staying with you.

Room Tip: La Carbonne is worth the little extra!