“Not what I expected - at all..”
Review of Hammam Ziani

Hammam Ziani
Ranked #14 of 109 Spas & Wellness in Marrakech
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Hmmm..I got to be honest having read the reviews myself before going to Ziani I was expecting better…
It wasn’t terrible, but it just wasn’t what I was expecting I guess. In brief, my boyfriend went one way I went the other (separate sex hammam) I joined a group of 6 French women. There were only 3 women working so there was A LOT of time waiting in the steam room with absolutely no explanation as to what to expect next which was a little unnerving. The ‘wash’ took literally seconds then you’re back in the steam room. Then someone comes in, takes you by the hand and lies you on a concrete slab for a scub with the same mit that has just been used on the other ladies…. It’s vigorous, as expected it an exfoliating rub down, but I was just so uncomfortable on a rock hard table.Then.. back in the steam room. Meanwhile, I may add that there is constant shouting and chatting between the workers which again wasn’t what I imagined, as I thought it was supposed to be a relaxing experience – far from it. The best bit – the oil massage, more of a rub than a muscular massage but it was nice. As you are not told what you’re doing next I was standing around butt naked waiting to be told where to go next... The steam room. So I decided to take a shower and wash out the oil from my hair, although the showers don’t work so I had to wash my hair using a bucket. The towels and robes are old, like really old so I personally didn’t feel the place as particularly clean. My boyfriend had a different ordeal, it sounded better than what I had, but equally said It was something he’d choose not to do again. However, having said that we have spoken to people who have enjoyed a hammam in various places around Marrakech, so I’m sure it can be a very enjoyable experience, but I won’t be going back to Ziani again.However, I could have visited on a day where they were short staffed, therefore it would explain the long periods of waiting round and having a rushed wash, scrub and massage, but personally I wasn’t impressed with the service.

3  Thank FiJane
There are newer reviews for Hammam Ziani

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were looking for a local hammam experience without too much hassle and this spa delivered it. While more expensive than a true local hammam - 270 dh for a bath, rub down and massage - they were well-used to foreigners and provided everything we needed. The spa is clean and efficient and the staff were friendly to me and my two young daughters who were very excited by the whole experience. I suspect there are better hammams, and probably lots worse.

1  Thank 932JoziLondon
Reviewed October 10, 2012

this was the first time we visited a hamman. the ziani is somewhere in between the very high luxury end and the traditional moroccon hammam perfect for us as it turned out.
on arrival you are seated on soft low slung cushioned benches served traditional mint tea. we then had small introduction in english. there are different packages available, the more expensive were 350 dh, so roughly £25. we were told it was an all inclusive price, so tipping wasn’t necessary, we did however each give the person who looked after us 20dh, i feel it’s fair it is a service industry and expected. the reason we picked the ziani was for it’s steam room which i prefer rather than the usual sauna. i didn’t notice the length of our stay, i only know we had a fabulously relaxing time.
the moroccon part of the treatment is called tqsal, whereby you get rubbed down with a large rough glove, i kept my eyes shut through most of it, but when i dared look i saw in tiny black (bobbles like on a wool jumper) coming off my skin. never realised i was that filthy, appearantly it has an exfoliating effect and should not be done too often, but is certainly not harmful. you get washed and soaped, a wonderful experience i felt like a kid again, then rinsed off via buckets of water and a sponge, scrubbed if i remember and then placed in the steam room, after that it’s the massage.
bring conditioner if you have dyed hair like me and a spare pair of knickers, they do provide some but i understand that they are not that great.
a couple of minor issues - i would have liked the massage to concentrate on some of my problem areas, like neck and shoulders, also the masseuse had a habit of using very light quick strokes. when i tried explaining that i was ticklish and would have preferred a slower and deeper treatment she didn’t understand. the mats we were placed on during our massage were plastic and so didn’t let the skin breathe, would have preferred a more natural surface.
overall it was truly amazing and i would not have missed it for the world, the place is comfortable feeling and is clean, the introduction was exactly right as we were a little nervous and didn’t know what to expect.

2  Thank sunshineand
Reviewed October 8, 2012

this was a traditional place and a great experience. It's not polished and ritzy, it is moroccan!! Not for the shy person as they do give you a full body massage, but they are extremely professional. Cheap and fun and you feel like you have actually had a massage - it was great!!

2  Thank Matt F
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stumbled across this place in the heart of Marrakesh and I'm so glad we did because it was a fab experience. We were talked through the options by the owner (Ziani) with a mint tea in hand and shown around the place before we decided to go for it. We were scrubbed down, relaxed in the sauna, washed again, had a massage, washed again, and then relaxed in a lovely room with mint tea again! Fab experience :)
We also wanted to say a MASSIVE thanks to the owner...it was our first time in Morocco and he went out of his way to help us out. In addition to the Hammam experience, he arranged transport for us and places to stay! Thank you VERY VERY much :)

1  Thank Jen G