Riad Hotel Assia
$250
$237
$1,058
$1,020
All reviewsspent one nightminutes walk from the mainroof terracethe main squarefirst flooralleytvtoilet
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We reached hotel assia, in the evening and were greeted by the friendly staff there.

This is a riad (enclosed hotel) with daylight coming through centre. The rooms were clean and bedding was changed daily. The bathrooms were very basic and in the morning the water can turn cold... (however after reporting it to the manager, he fixed this issue). Breakfast is served on the terrace roof and is basic again you get what you pay for... coffee, tea, mint tea, french bread, crosisants, orange juice etc...

Even though in an alley way...The location of the hotel was good as was literally 1-2 minutes walk from the main busy Jema el fnaa square and medina. Outside the alleyway of the hotel, there are shops, restaurants, takeouts, muisic shops, clothes shops etc.. Taxis bay... KFC within 5-10min walk.. main bus stop 5-10min walk.

Overall it is a cheap hotel and you get waht you pay for! Not bad stay at all! Local to alot of amenties & routes.

you can get coaches and buses and travel out easily to Essaouriou, agadir, Fes, Ouirka, Atlas mountains..
.Any questions, please message me!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2010

The positives: very close to jma fana, staff was hospitable, nice terrace. They had wifi and even a computer for customer use. The staff stored our luggage after we checked out for free.

Negatives: there was noise coming in from outside. The breakfast was pretty basic but was still better than other hotels we were at.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We spent a night in Hotel Assia after we read a very positive description in a travel guide, and were quite disappointed. The bathroom was really disgusting: toilets were dirty, the shower curtain was mouldy, the taps were rusty and the walls had lots of brown stains. The shower had no pressure but at least hot water. However the room itself was ok, the bed was clean and the staff very nice: we were given a take-away breakfast since we left early. The location is great. If you need a cheap place for one night, it will do the job, but if you can afford 20 euros more, go to a better riad in the medina.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2010

This place has a great location, but we just couldn't do the cockroaches that came into the room once the lights went out. Woke up at about 1:30 am and the bathroom was full of roaches. Unless you don't mind roaches and a very unhelpful staff, you might be okay to stay here. When we told the front desk guy at 2 am about the roaches and that we were leaving, his response was, "Okay just pay me 380 durhams (38 Euro and over $40 US)". We got upset because it wasn't our fault they had roaches, but he forced us to pay anyway, and he shut the doors behind us, without offering any help whatsoever. I personally would avoid this place alltogether. You can easily find better places cheaper and better right around the corner.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I booked this riad just before leaving to Marrakech, because I hadn't found anything else. A friend recommended it as basic, but ok. Well, it was not ok.

I can live with basic for a cupple of days, but I can't live with dirt. On arrival, I got to fill in some papers like in all hotels, and I got my key. They didn't show me my room, but it was not that far from the reception on the ground floor. It was not on the streetside, so quite (well, no street noise, but 3 mosquitos keeping me awake all night). It had 1 small window on to the patio, so very dark and you couldn't leave it open, because anyone could get in to your room by the window and could see you when you are in the room.
Beds were uncomfortable. There were two single beds in each corner. There was no space left to put luggage. There was nothing else in the room, even not a mirror! Bathroom was als very small and basic.

After arriving tired and late in the afternoon, I wanted to take a nap, but found out the sheets were dirty, full of hairs on both beds. I called the receptionist and asked if the sheets were changed and ofcourse he told me it was. I showed him the sheets with the hairs on it and he promissed someone would change them. They changed the sheets, this time no hairs on it, but I had still the feeling someone already slept in them. Same with the towels in the bathroom, they were very old and in need of change.

The first day I took breakfast there, and the days after that I just went to a café, because breakfast at the riad is not only limited in choice, but disgusting. The area is not clean and full of beas who are attracted by the honey on the biscuits. The coffee is disgusting.

I paid 25 euro per night.

I was glad to leave after 5 days.

I can not recommend this hotel, because of the tiny dark rooms and because it is not clean.

The pictures on this website show a large patio, but the patio is dark and small.

The wifi doesn't work most of the time.

Only positive thing is location. It is located in the city centre, near djema el fna.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends