WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Terre Resort & Spa

Terre Resort & Spa
Ranked #409 of 511 Hotels in Marrakech
Kent
“Somewhere a bit different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2009

The Terre Resort is a good choice if you are looking for somewhere with an exclusive feel to it, out of the city centre. It’s a 20 minute taxi ride from the Medina area, at a cost of 150 Dirham (£12) each way using the hotel’s recommended taxi service. We didn’t try our luck with the city centre taxis due to a previous dubious experience with a foreign taxi driver, however if you look like a hardened traveller and negotiator you might get a discounted ride, who knows.

There are no neighbouring properties at Terre apart from Chez Ali, which is a kind of showground next door which has a show every evening involving Moroccan horsemen and suchlike. Noise isn’t a problem though, as the only thing you can hear is a dozen fireworks (or gunshots?) at around 11 pm. Apart from Chez Ali there is only desert type scrubland outside, which I wouldn’t recommend taking a walk in or looking under any stones.

Having said that, the resort’s own grounds are large and well kept with a number of seating areas, one main pool and a large Jacuzzi pool. The accommodation is set around the gardens in impressive individual 2 storey buildings built and furnished in traditional Moroccan style. The interiors are spacious and well decorated, some have private patios although I think only the largest ones have a balcony. Overall I thought the room was very good, only let down by aircon that didn’t seem to work after the second day. I have to admit though that the aircon has packed up in the last 3 hotel rooms I have stayed in so maybe its me.

We stayed in late April and the daytime weather was warm, bordering on hot, about 30C. The evenings and overnight were still cool though so we didn’t really miss the aircon.

The resort claims 5 star status however I have to say as far as the food is concerned we didn’t think that was really justified. There is only one restaurant, which seems to keep the same menu all week and although the prices are 5 star the food is nothing special. Breakfast was also a bit short on choice and had no day to day variation. This is of course less of a factor if you are intending to travel into the city regularly and eat there.

On the plus side, the Terre staff were all very helpful and did everything they could for us. There is also free internet access, a (small) bar and areas of lit garden to walk around in the evening.

Overall I would recommend the Terre for its exotic Moroccan appeal, its helpful staff and the quality of the gardens and rooms. It is somewhere a bit different to the average hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Casablanca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2009

I was at Terre with my wife when it opened in 2007 and we both thought it was a great "boutique resort". It is so much cooler to be in your "own house" with private patio and everything than a hotel room with small balcony like so many of the other places around. Plus the design is very innovative and the architecture just beautiful. So many details (each of the 18 domes is different! and there are octogons hidden ust about everywhere!). But it was brand new, the staff a bit inexperienced, certain amenities not in place, etc. Nonetheless, it had the right ingredients to become a very special place.

So I went back for a short business trip last week and was amazed at how much the place had improved! I wish my wife could have seen it this time around. They have redesigned the main hall to accomodate a small souvenir shop (cheaper than in town!), added a magnificent door to the restaurant, and so on. Definitely keeping up with the improvements: English spoken by all the senior staff (don't expect all Moroccans to speak English...), new pool house/library with PCs and internet access, etc. The place just looked magnificent.

The new chef is simply brilliant and the food was excellent. Those that complain about prices should try most of the other similar quality restaurants in town. I would nonetheless recommend having some "quick meals" in town if you are on a tight budget. For breakfast, always order it through room service and you will never be disappointed!

I believe you can find this place to be just the best for you (a businessman, a 30+ couple on a romantic trip...) if you understand that going to town will always take between 15 and 30 minutes from anywhere in the Palmeraie and this place is no exception. Cab fares have been regulated and are posted at the airport so take notice when you get there. Once in town, small red cabs will get you everywhere for less than a pound or two. After a stressful day visiting Marrakech or having had meetings, the calm of the Palmeraie (an oasis of palm trees in an otherwise desertic area) is what you need.

Finally, I would say this: Terre is the best 5-star boutique hotel/residential retreat this close to town. And it just keeps on getting better and better.

Thanks to all the staff (Meryem, Fatima Zahra, Hassan, Karim) for a very pleasant stay - albeit too short, as always.

I'll be back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

This could be a great hotel..... but it's main motivation is not customer satisfaction - but rather to squeeze as much cash out of its captive and isolated audience as is humanly possible The buildings are beautiful, and the (unheated) pool area is a great place to relax and read a book. The rooms look good - though the bath in ours did not work (no water pressure) and the shower was weak and leaked. The bed was uncomfortable and the tv had limited channels and a poor reception.

However, the resort is some distance from Marrakesh (a taxi will cost you at least £12 each way - and over £20 to the airport) and the hotel really takes advantage of this. Are you looking forward to paying £8 for 3 scoops of cheap ie cream. How about £3 for a can of coke? Water that costs over 5x the price of the same product in the (already expensive) tourist traps in town ... £15 for two cheese sandwches and salad....or over £80 for a very poor quality two course meal? All the guests we spoke to were racking up £60 - £80 per head on food and drink on their terre spa days ... and most simply chose to go to Marrakesh for food and water. It's also very dull at the hotel in the evenings ... once darkness settles your only option is to eat and drink. If you want a hotel with a pool - find one far closer to the town where you'll have more options and feel less exploited. We did not find a single happy guest - and everyone knew that the (fairly) cheap initial booking costs were off set by the industrial scale fleecing they were exposed to. In simple terms - avoid at all costs!!!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Traveller2468

Travelers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed with our two children 10 days at Terre. We had a great time and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is really beautiful and the rooms are very spacious. Ideal when you travel with your children. Also the private terrace and salon are a true asset.
As we have very young children we had dinner almost every evening in the restaurant and enjoyed our meals. The service was good and the staff very friendly. My son has a gluten-intolerance (coeliakie) and the chef prepared his lunch and dinner separed so he couldn't get sick. Believe me... there are not many hotels who take the effort! The massages and treatments in the SPA were great!!! Conclusion: don't hesitate and go to Terre, we are already planning to go back back!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank VosBelgium
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

An ideal place to stay if you find the rush of Marrakech a little overwhelming (as many do!), and don't mind the long-ish taxi ride into town. The individual houses in which you stay are spacious and comfotable; their living areas and terrace was a real treat, which offered genuine privacy. With the lanterns, tents and gorgeous architecture that adorn the grounds, it's like staying in somene's romantic idea of how Morrocco should look. The pool is beautiful, and the facilities are clean, efficient and very comfortable.

The place was only let down by the wholly disinterested staff. Whilst polite for the most part, they were far from attentive; on one occasion it took us 40 minutes to acquire a towel for the pool. We ordered teas which never arrived, and food which never materialised, and asked for local advice which never transpired.

However, the staff could on occassion be quite rude. For example, the internet was also down for the entire stay - one of the luxuries of a 5* resort is using the internet to check in online, or sneak a look at your emails - and when quizzed about it the staff merely replied "it's broken". When I asked if it would be fixed at any stage, they simply replied "no", and turned back to their conversation. Equally, the front door to our house was one day left wide open by the cleaners. This was a little worrying, so we gently told reception that a mistake had been made. In reply, the receptionist sarcastically said "What do you want? Should I slay a lamb for you? Do you want a thousand plates of couscous?". His sarcasm was so extreme that on reflection the incident was rather funny - but at the time it was just very unpleasent.

I should also add that on three occassions the hotel contracted DJs to play by the pool during the day; they played extremely loud dance music which was very much at odds with the relaxing spa / family atmosphere, and caused several guests to complain!

So - it's a really fantastic and beautiful place to stay if you feel like being utterly private and relaxed - and you don't expect much from the staff, and can put up with a bit of loud music during the day.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Brussels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

I read all the reviews and still felt something ticking inside of me to give this place a try, so I did
I arrived late night as my flight was delayed, I was afraid the driver was gone, off the plane I was already panicked and did not have the hotel telephone nr. by hand, my relief was eased when I could see my name far in distance, once arrived at the hotel, I was treated as a royalty, easy check in, my suite was ready and homey, next thing I knew it was a beautiful sunny morning with breakfast served in my terrace as I ordered it , massage was awaiting me
The excursion to the garden of Majorell added a special meaning for me as I worked in my young years in one of YSL ‘s ateliers in Paris, I was so moved .
Back at Terre I was enchanted with the service and the quality of food, were do you get such service and abundance? For so little $$?, I truly don’t understand people who are so impatient and angry about anything, I must say the reviews are exaggerated , after all we are not paying five star rates either, if one wants such service there is always the famous Amman Jenna...over 800euro /night++
I just believe the complains are unjustified and wrongful the staff tried to please me and other guest in every way possible and I had a wonderful time,
A true gem , keep up the good work !!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank apeeters51
Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

just back from a weeks stay in Terre Resort and Spa.And I am trukly asking myself what strange people stood there to write those agressive and nonsensical reviews. Yes, maybe several things need improvements, but this concerns 99% of all hotels of a 5***** category I visited, and amongst the Worlds Best!Pedagogues start best with the good things, so I do it as I am one: the staff is the most friendly and helpful I found in 25 years in a hotel. An internet breakdown and urgent needs for communication made the whole hotel staff up to the very freeindly director jump and act up to bring own laptops and modems to secure connection, remarkable!The reservation manager Mr.s Bouchra solved every detail with an unusual flexibility and there was subjects to match.The architecture of the separate, in a superb garden located individual villas and suites is unique and for itself worth to go. You feel like having an own house in Morocco for your stay. Rooms are fine, luxurious without to much of glitter, just right, giving the local atmosphere. Maybe lighting is a bit dark , a bit everywhere, but this makes a special charm. The pool and surroundings is very stylish, although not heated(should be changed). For summer holidays fine, for spring and fall just funny for the strong sportsmen.Its true, breakfast is very low budget, but if you ask a stronnger double espresso instead of the all-planet usual pre-made stuff, you get it for free, with recommandations of the food and beverage manager.The whole site is minimalist, you dont feel in a big ghotel, no , more in a vill-condominium with attached permanent service, no bad and giving this nice feeling you do what you want, not what they do you to want, like in most boxy and awfully huge hotels.Go to Safi, and try the so called 5 stard hotel Golden Tulip Farah: the worst experience ever(2 and a half stards maximum). Go back then to Terre Resort and Spa and shut up writing stupidities. Next nice thing: Fattimaezzarah doing a perfect, one hour facial cleaning and treatment, just perfect, in the Spa. Didnt try the other features like masswge but can easily imagine it must be the same level of quality. The most amzing stays next to the architecture, and style of the huge private gardens:the extraordinary kindness and support of the stuff. Ok, the minibar must be fed on request first with what you want, and ther arent more than a few television programmes, but one thing is clear. This hotel has something very special: you feel at home, you feel relaxed, and if Marrakechs medina ask for thrilling evenings, believe me, this hotel is fine to stay for two weeks and you dont even want to go out. To find it, yes it's tricky, but: ask for CHEZ ALI (superbe atmosphere evening festivities,with a big and fascinating show about moroccian traditions and skills on horses, music etc., food just everage, price ok still) and you will be lead to the Terre Resort that hides nearly unseen in the wide Palerai surroundings. To write a book, forget Europe, spend a romantic honeymoon in a fascinating country, to be seduced by people that serve because they like it, not because they are paid for, then go to this hotel and you wont regret.Special thanks to the Manager of Human Ressources,Mrs. Houda, an outstandingly handsome and kind woman, handing over her own laptop for hours and hours just to secure clients needs for communication.Go to a chain hotel, and you will see whats going on there. Because in Morocca, telecommunications are like on the moon, 19th century. Its not the hotel's fault. The faultless hotel doesnt exist, but Terre is worth every dirham it costs...and now one thing more: the prices are more than fair.People in need of fuz, noise and rushour feelings in a hotel should simply stay away!The better it is for us. Go and see the big royal suites, houses for your own, and you want to buy one! I will go back, definitely.Inchallah