“Tranquil oasis in a hectic city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Borjs de la Kasbah

Les Borjs de la Kasbah
Ranked #47 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Tranquil oasis in a hectic city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was our first visit to Marrakesh and hopefully will not be our last. The experience enhanced by the welcome to the lovely Riad set within the walls of the city.
We were collected from the airport by Abdul and whisked back to the Medina in 15 minutes where we were welcomed by Mohammed with a welcome glass of fresh fruit juice. After being shown round the Riad we were taken to our room (303). The room has a dual aspect looking out in to a courtyard on one side and the pool on the other. The bathroom had both a shower and bath and the basin and towels were decorated with rose petals – these were replaced daily. The bed was also covered in petals and each day a different design was left. Despite the fact that the bed was 2 large single mattresses pushed together with a double sheet over, it was still very comfortable and no one disappeared down the gap!
On the first full day we took a walk around the city with a personal guide (Camil) – this was a wonderful way to see some of the sights and understand what we were looking at, as our guide was very knowledgeable about the various historical sites he took us to. One note of caution – he did take us to a shop where it was almost expected we had to buy and to pay in cash – while the spices we bought I have enjoyed using it was not clear if we could have had a better deal elsewhere. This did leave us without any cash as we walked through the medina but I think my partner was secretly pleased I could not buy everything I saw. We did eventually have to go to a cash point and at this point it was useful to have the guide as he pointed out that some cash points are not as safe as others!
Another day we took a drive out to the Atlas mountains – the only problem was that I had not taken any walking shoes and my sandals were woefully inadequate for the trek up the mountain so we had to stay at the bottom – not a bad thing as we sampled the local tea and watched the local life in the village. There were plenty of hawkers trying to sell you anything even though we had no cash. On the way up we had stopped at a Berbers house and were shown around and even offered to have some to the bread that had been freshly made We had also stopped at a local cooperative where the ladies of the village sat and cracked the nuts of the argen tree to make the oil that is used in many different ways. On the way back we stopped at a pottery where there were thousands of pots of all shapes and sizes and colours.
On the last day we took a horse drawn carriage ride around the city – what an experience in the Marrakesh traffic! We went to see the gardens that Yves St Laurent restored – defiantly worth a visit. The driver dropped us at the door and waited for us to return. He then took us on a tour of the city, very nice to see it from a different angle.
Breakfast & Dinner in the hotel is in an open air courtyard with a room to one side (just in case of rain) however we discovered that this courtyard did have a roof that was slid over – just as well as one night the heavens opened and a spectacular thunderstorm hit Marrakesh. The food was lovely and a good selection of local and European dishes were on offer. It was my birthday on one night and after dinner a cake had been arranged and all the kitchen staff came out and sang to me! Another night there was some local entertainment, music and dancing – the belly dancer was mesmerising to all! There was also a girl who was henna tattooing during dinner.

Room Tip: Room 303 overlooked the outdoor heated pool and had the sweetest smelling orange tree out side the w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HStreet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

After looking online at several smaller riads, I chose Les Borjs de la Kasbah because I wanted a riad in the medina. As a woman traveling with two other women, I also wanted to have hotel services such as a bar and restaurant.

Les Borjs is absolutely beautiful -- even better than the website -- with wonderful service. The staff made arrangements for day trips to the Ourika Valley and Essaouria, a half-day guide in the medina, and last-minute manicures and pedicures in the hotel's peaceful spa. The hotel bar serves an excellent Moroccan rose.

My only quibble was with the hotel's restaurant recommendations. On two separate occassions, we asked for suggestions for dinner. Both times we were directed to Al Baraka in the Djemma el Fna. When I heard the location the first time, and that there was belly dancing, I asked for another recommendation but was told that other guests liked it because of the belly dancing. Then on our last night, we asked the woman at the front desk, who wasn't the same one as earlier in the week, for a nearby restaurant. We said we had an early flight and wanted a casual dinner. Once again, we were directed to Al Baraka. Fortunately another guest recommended the Kasbah Cafe, which was less than a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Callebaut
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The entrance is in a cement wall in an unprepossessing street. Once inside, though, the place is a Tardis-like revelation. There are large rooms, a peaceful central courtyard with a fountain, tables and nooks with sofas.

The restaurant, also in an atrium, has a retractable roof three storeys above. Breakfast is half buffet (fruit, pastries, the usual stuff) and half cooked to order (omelettes, pancakes, eggs as you want them). Dinner was also good, typical Moroccan food.

Our room was large, very clean and very quiet. There were rose petals artistically scattered on the huge four-poster bed. The bathroom had a bath and separate shower. There was a comfortable sofa and a TV which had all the main UK channels, not just BBC News.

There's a decent-sized swimming pool which gets sun for most of the day, despite being in a walled garden.

The staff were friendly, charming and attentive. Some spoke a little English (as well as French and Arabic); one, Tom, is English and very helpful.

Room Tip: We had a large room on the upper floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kikashi
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed at "Les Borjs" in February 2013, three couples, and one couple took their 12 year old son. My husband and I have stayed before, for the others it was a first trip to Marrakech. Yet again the Borjs de las Kasbah was everything a riad should be, an oasis of calm in a hectic city. The staff are unfailingly courteous and helpful, special mention to Tom and our lovely waitresses at breakfast and dinner, who went out of their way to make my 12 year old nephew feel at home...he quickly got used to their good natured teasing and he said it made him start every day with a smile. The food as always was first class, the bedrooms spacious and well appointed, and the airport transfers and trips organised by the Riad went like clockwork...The half day city walking tour is a good way to start a trip to this city, you get a sense of the history and geography, and how life is and was lived, and because you have a guide there is no hassle from stallholders etc. The trip to the Atlas mountains was a joy, walking in the snow with the sun hot enough to warrant factor 25. Several of our party hadnt holidayed outside Europe before, they are all hooked and looking forward to their next trip, and every one of them has said they wouldnt stay anywhere else other than Les Borjs de la Kasbah.

Room Tip: We had a standard room, superior room and junior suite between us....all were excellent
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank salandmick
Cowes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We are a group of 40-something women who have just returned from a 4 day trip to Marrakech (March 2013)' One had a birthday the day we arrived and another during the stay.

We picked Les Borjs de la Kasbah after reading extensive reviews on Tripadvisor of various Riads available and couldn't fault it. Before arriving there was some email correspondence which was always answered within 24 hours, efficiently and courteously. The hotel arranged for a taxi to collect us from the airport. Not a long trip but the taxi can drop you directly outside the hotel which makes life a lot easier!! It worked out at 15 euros per room, so 7.50e each which seemed comparable to the prices at the airport and a lot more efficient.

The hotel is beautiful as you can see from the photos already posted. We were in room 206 - a double with really nice bathroom, sitting area, tv (never switched on but I believe they have all the cable channels!!) fridge etc. There is an enclosed terrace outside 205 and 206 with sliding windows overlooking the breakfast area and a small table and chairs outside the room. perfect for sitting and having a drink (or a cigarette!!!)The whole roof of the breakfast area slides back 'a la Wimbledon' which is lovely!!

The courtyards are beautifully kept with a library area (book exchange) tv room, comfy area with couches and cushions. This is also the best place to get a strong wi-fi signal. The pool area is perfect. Heated pool that is a decent enough size to swim in, lots of sunbeds and umbrellas. No stress, no grabbing of sunbeds - just peace and quiet :-)

The staff could not do enough to help. Always smiling and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. The birthday girls received 'Happy Birthday' cards and their names spelled out in flowers on their beds!!! The rooms were kept immaculately as were all areas of the hotel.

Breakfast was a real treat. Lots of choice; eggs cooked to order, wonderful pastries, moroccan breads, fresh fruit, cereals, cheeses etc. I don't think anyone could fault the choice. We also ate there one evening, and again the food was fabulous and exceptionally good value.

All in all the hotel was a joy to stay at and I would certainly go back there again.

Boring bits but may be useful!!! Rooms have a safe deposit box with a key. Hairdryers are in the bathrooms, quite powerful but no styling nozzles if you need one!! No kettles in room (we took a travel kettle which was perfect for early cups of tea on the terrace - how terribly British!!). Brilliant showers and constant hot water and pressure. Towels and bathrobes provided. Didn't have any problems with mozzies or flies. Easy straightforward walk to the main square (about 15-20 minutes saunter). 2 minutes to the Tombs. Bombarded by every stall-keeper and shop owner you pass. A smile and some patience goes a long way :-). We did get fed up with people trying to show us the way to places (and expecting payment) so had to be quite firm in our 'No's' !! Money changing is easy. We tended to use the exchange at the Government Department store with the big stone lions outside on the way to the square. The rates didnt vary enough for us to need to hunt around. This shop is expensive but hassle-free, so a good place to look at the sort of things you might want to haggle for in the souks!!

A beautiful city that requires a lot of walking but is worth every step. I think 4 days is enough for Marrakech - if I had been staying longer I would have wanted to visit the mountains or the coast. Places we enjoyed: tombs, Jardin Majorelle, Tanneries, Dyers Souk, Spice Souk (jewish quarter), Maison de la Photographie, sunset over the square on a rooftop terrace. Dinner on the roof at Cafe Kasbah. The beautiful architecture and just ambling around getting constantly lost!!

Room Tip: 206 is a really comfortable spacious double :-)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Woozle111
Romford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at Les Borjs de la Kasbah with my sister and 2 female friends for 3 nights from 28th June 2012. It really is a lovely place. The rooms are huge, beautifully decorated and wonderfully clean. The pool area is fabulous - a real oasis in the heart of the Kasbah. Lunch by the poolside was great and after the first day the staff set 'our' table for us right by the poolside. The staff are very friendly and were only too happy to help out with ordering taxi's and recommending places to visit. Breakfast was plentiful and the dinning room in a lovely setting. I didn't try the spa but my sister and friends all had a massage and said it was very good. Marrakech is an amazing city - vibrant and lively and full of contrasts. The hotel is not in the best of areas but please don't let this put you off - I'll definitely return to this wonderful place - one of the best places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank GellybeanRomford
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just returned from yet another relaxing stay at Les Borjs. It's like being home from home for me, after coming here many times since January 2011, so I can vouch for the other reviews in excellence. I am over 65 and travel to different countries every 2 months, mostly combining business with leisure. On one occasion I hadn't booked ahead so swiftly and Les Borjs was full, so I stayed at the newly revamped famous landmark 4* Design Hotel in Gueliz 4* La Renaissance ( #236 of 437 Hotels in Marrakech). Much more expensive, soulless, and certainly not the kind of personal service I had got used too staying in the 4* Les Borj de la Kasbah (#76 of 437 Hotels in Marrakech). I soon learnt to book ahead.

The difference between this family owned boutique hotel in the Kasbah, and a swanky corporate like La Renaissance, is the love and detail that dwells within at Les Borjs. Tom, Jihane ( the lady in the office ) Sofia the attentive maid, and Hassna in the Spa rooms are just examples of care toward me, pampering and devotion to the craft of service. Nothing is too much. Sometimes I would work in Casablanca for 10 days, topping and tailing work with a 4 day Les Borjs relaxation stay either side, which proved invaluable, as did being able to leave small bits of shopping and luggage behind, saving me lugging it all the way to Casa and back. This is high personal service. Incidentally, I don't speak french and on more than one occasion Reception organised train tickets for me or written details down on paper for me to hand into the ticket office. I tried this at La Renaissance Reception and got blank looks. Nothing is too much trouble at Les Borjs.

A recent addition to Les Borjs, is updated cable TV, prior to this visit BBC World on a loop was the only English option, while now you can get all UK terrestrial Channels,( plus European networks ) great if you plan a long visit and want a night in. I'm not really a 'pool person', but the laid back serenity of the open air pool, is exactly what is required somedays, reading a book and for me a plus - an almost child free zone. Only seen one child on all my 10 visits to Les Borjs, larger 'family' hotels inevitably have a more vibrant pool area, which I am inclined to avoid.

I aways book half board upfront, not just for it's outstanding value but simply because I have never had a bad meal in 10 visits. Not one. Stylish, beautifully presented, clean wholesome Moroccan/French/ with an Asian fusion dinner menu. Restaurants in London charge more than double for less. Service is exemplary and the breakfast buffet is a feast of invention, difficult to know where to start, the choice is huge but I always go for the homemade yogurt first, with the good coffee and the sweetest, freshest orange juice to follow, then I start eating as the stomach takes me. You won't fail to be impressed by Naoual & Fatima in the Restaurant & Bar, long term employees and always welcoming, made my stay as a single person, not feel out of place with the couples at table, and never made to feel "alone' in a restaurant. As I said FAULTLESS, and my moroccan home from home. See you again this year Les Borjs!

Room Tip: for wifi in your room, ask in advance for a room overlooking the patio.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo