“A week in riad Assouel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #134 of 1,170 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Warwick, United Kingdom
“A week in riad Assouel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a lovely week at riad Assouel. The staff were so kind and helpful. There was a very hospitable welcoming feel to the riad. The trips organised were possibly slightly overpriced. There a few bits in the room that didn't work (bedside lamps etc). The decor was beautiful and the atmosphere created was peaceful and relaxing, despite being in the heart of the medina. Excellent location. We walked everywhere we wanted to visit in the city

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Clarkedv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Nicosia, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Nice and private, good location (near jemaa el fna square) but a bit hidden in the smalls streets of the medina. Luxurious, big and comfortable rooms but a bit dark. Good people, the staff was extremely helpful

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This riad was chosen based on reviews and price for 4 persons in one room (£128). This riad is lovely and all other reviews are spot on when they say its a hidden gem! Walking up to the riad is definitely an experience with motorbikes zooming by but this is just a taste of marrakech and definitely wast you should expect! Once in the riad you'll be delighted with the cool peaceful ambience. We went in August and it was boiling hot! 49c one day at 4pm, but the riad remained a cool escape especially for a young family. Would I recommend, yes but maybe when it's cooler so you can walk around at ease...will return one day. Please note we are used to Dubai standard hotels....& have no complaints. As for any war zone style reviews that might put you off, then don't be just go for it and enjoy Marrakech! Nuhdeen, Mounir & Fatiwah were all lovely too!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jen1982
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Good rooms, lovely pool. Location is about 800m north of the Souks. This is the only Riad I stayed at, so can't really compare - but it felt a little bit on the expensive side for what it is. 20% cheaper and you'd be feeling - great place. Really enjoyed our stay though, and having a pool to cool off in is a godsend. Staff were helpful, after we checked in they ran through the various options of what we might want (guided tours, hamman etc) which didn't come across as 'selling', just very helpful when they know you're in town for two days and want to get the most out of it. If it's your first time in marrakech, I would recommend getting a guide to walk you around for the first half day (400 DH or 40 Euros), as the alleys of the Medina are pretty confusing (on my own on day 2, I went round and round in circles trying to find an ATM)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark H
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have to tell you I was a bit nervous booking inside the Medina and not a big hotel chain. This was my first trip to Marrakech but, I am certain it will not be my last. I booked this off the internet just from surfing around. When I arrived in Marrakech I was totally overwhelmed by the city. The Riad was very accomadating and came out and met us in the parking lot and brought us through the winding streets to this oasis. The minute you walk through the doors the sound of the city quiets. Also, I realized you can never know too many Muhammads. I mean that sincerely. Muhammad 1 checked us in and walked us around the entire Riad and up to the rooftop lounge area. Muhammad 2 walked us through the Medina to Jemaa el-Fnaa square. When we went out to a late dinner, the staff walked us to the restaurant and offered to walk us back as well. I also ate dinner at the Riad and the food was excellent. I needed a guide 1 day because I was left on my own and Muhammad 1 had one there in an hour for me. Very affordable and a great aura in this Riad.

Leiden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Me and my four friends visited Marrakech three weeks ago and had a splendid time. Riad Assouel really is an oasis of peace in the heart of the old town. Once you enter the building all city noises vanish, only the sounds of birds singing remain. Inside the riad there is a small pool, a palmtree and a relaxing-area with some couches where you can sit or grab a beer. The roof terrace is great for sunbathing and provides great views over the old town. The whole building is beautifully renovated in old style with mosaics and oriental lamps. The owners (a French couple) and the staff were very friendly and did everything to help (recommending restaurants, booking a camel ride) and make us feel comfortable. Rooms were generous and the beds fine. Breakfast was nice with fresh orange juice, pancakes and toast. Only small point of criticism: the shower didn't function completely according to plan, I had to hold it with my hand and it was hard to get the right temperature. Since I got the spaciest bedroom I feel I can't really complain about it. Especially while it was sunny and warm outside and I didn't need warm water anyway :-) My verdict: great Riad, great staff, fair price. Two thumbs up!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with my friends in June 2013 and had a fantastic time!

A driver picked us up from the airport which was great and took us to the hotel. We didn't have to stress about where we were going and queuing to get currency at the airport but could just soak up the surroundings!

All the staff were soooo helpful and really looked after us at all times!

Mohammad the hotel manager was excellent and showed us places to go and how to get there plus all the available excursions but was not pushy in any way. If we wanted to approach them to do them great if not no problem! He also went out of his way to find out bus times and get us tickets to save us time while there which was really kind!

Our room was beautiful! We stayed in the Ourika Suite which was spacious and suited us perfectly!

We also did another excursion and got a driver from the hotel and we tailored it to suit us and again we could relax and soak up the culture. I would definitely recommend doing this as Marrakech is such a busy city and easy to get lost in but when you have a driver it takes away that stress and is really reasonably priced.

If you have a chance to stay here do it!,

Relaxing, tranquil, beautiful and really nice people that work there!

You may even learn some magic :-)