“Fantastic stay”

Ranked #97 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We have just arrived home from a 4 night stay at this riad and only have positive things to say about Riad El Mansour and it's staff . We were on the last leg of our honeymoon and had booked this place via a hotel search website.

The staff are totally concerned about your satisfaction and customer service here leaves us british somewhat embarrassed about our standrads at home! The bar is set - nothing is too much trouble. Breakfast on the terrace is delicious, the in house hammam is a must and the selection of books, dvds and board games is great if you want to spend time away from the hustle and bustle of the medina. The staff even posted my postcards!!! A lovely extra touch was a bunch of flowers and wedding candle and note in the room on arrival, as the staff knew that we were on our honeymoon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I recently stayed at the Riad El Mansour for 5 nights - a mother and daughter trip. I cannot fault this Riad. At the start we were given a short overview of the local sights and customs and a quick training session on how to say 'no thank you, not today' should we need to in the souks. The staff have expert knowledge of the area and customs and were on hand to help at all times. I could talk through my own ideas from the guidebooks and internet research and they could then give hints and tips and help put together a suitable itinerary. You would not get this in a chain hotel. Wadi in particular was professional and helpful at all times, and always there to welcome us home after a busy day out. A real highlight for us was our day out with Mustapha, the Riad's own driver/minder/satnav/encyclopedia. We visited the Orika Valley and stopped in (on my request) at a girls' School called Dar Taliba. This is a fantastic project aimed at helping rural girls continue their education into secondary school, with a focus on learning Berber traditions, crafts and botany. I am a teacher so I decided to deliver a gift of books, pens and other practical items to the school and they were grateful. We even got a tour of the school and botanical gardens. You need to go right to the end of the Orika Valley for the lovely bubbling mountain river and scenery, but the journey was interesting, and punctuated with fun and interesting facts from Mustafa, including a run down on how to care for my new tagine (which I use all the time). Thank you so much Mustafa, a brilliant day to remember.
Now for the nitty gritty. This is a Riad. The whole entire point of a Riad is to experience the real Marrakech. And if you stay at Riad El Mansour - you will experience the real Marrakech. Real life, all around you. Yes, when you leave the intricately carved door of the fabulous oasis that is your Riad you will be confronted by every day people going about their every day life - butchers butchering, chickens squarking, children playing (and saying 'Bonjour Madame'!), mopeds whirring. Dust noise, the smell of spices. Be under no illusion - this is busy, bustling Marrakech medina, and no, it won't stop for you, no matter how much you feel like royalty while inside the Riad. I went out every morning and drank tea in the local cafes, watching the donkeys and locals bartering. But that's what we signed up for! I went out alone day and night and did not feel physically threatened, although I did feel a bit hassled at times, but c'est la vie. I do recommend practising saying 'pas aujourd'hui' which means 'not today', and is a firm way of saying I'm not interested thank you. I got the hang of it in the end.
We had a day at Jnane Tamsna, a 15 min taxi ride away. It's a fabulous restaurant/pool retreat with botanical gardens run by a retired French lawyer who has won awards for design. Fabulous and surprising, not bad value considering how exclusive it felt (80E for lunch, wine, drinks, all day by pool and gardens for two).
Le Foundouk is a great restaurant - hard to find, but worth it. Do not ever go with anyone/kids offering to show you the way. They may well take you the wrong way and then demand money. Always better to ask a local shopkeeper.
The Riad breakfast was a delight, the service was calm, pleasant, helpful and never pushy. The roof terrace is pretty and relaxing. The beds were comfortable.
When can I come again?

Room Tip: This is a 200 year old building. The rooms are narrower than you would expect for a conventional hot...
1 Thank Heidi S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had the most delightful 4-night stay in this lovely Riad. Upon our arrival, the owner and staff welcomed us with mint tea set in a glorious ground floor court yard. We felt like old friends within five minutes. The entire 6-room Riad is impeccably designed, lovingly cared for, and every staff member treated us like a royal guest.

We stayed in the Azure room--incredibly decorated with everything Moroccan; we immediately felt transported to another time and culture. Location is perfect and loads of shopping, souks, restaurants, museums, etc. are all close to Riad El Mansour. Breakfast on the roof-top terrace is sumptuous.

Great value for your travel dollar. You will not only want to stay here longer, but even have a fleeting desire to buy the whole Riad. Already I miss the mint tea and this impeccable Riad.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aix-en-Provence, France
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

We are extremely fussy travelers and we were astounded by out stay. Perfect hosts who took care of every request. The rooms were clean, the food was of a very high quality and it was very quiet. Great location and every staff member was well informed and provided us with intelligent suggestions.

• Stayed May 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 28, 2013

El Mansour is an excellent hotel. It is really home away from home. The service is absolutely impeccable. Everyone from the hotel crew starting from the owner to cleaning ladies, are extremely hospitable, nice, and helpful. Every detail is thought through and customized as much as possible to reflect your needs - food, excursions, local advises, anything that you can wish for is taken care of. We stayed in the Amber suite and it was spacious enough for us and our 8 yo. Rooms are clean and all amenities are there. Food is great and plentiful. Place is very quite. There are no time restrictions for meals - you could have your breakfast at noon :-). Hotel is very kids friendly. Everyone speaks English, so there are no communication issues at all. Riad is located on a small residential street approximately 200m from the main road, but it is not an issue at all, as it helps you to feel the city as soon as you get out of a car. Our special thanks to Robert, Abbdes, Wadi and Mustafa.

Room Tip: Amber suite is the best room; all others are good as well :-)
2 Thank niksk001
us
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I want to thank Abdess, Wadi, Mustafa, and the rest of the Riad El Mansour exceptional team . The most beautiful hotel. My husband and I were born in the former Soviet Union and have been US citizens for over 20 years. We travel quite extensively and stayed in too many hotels to remember. One hotel we will not forget is Raid El Mansour. We are yet to experience such hospitality and beauty combined. This, being our first time to Morocco we really did not know what to expect. Also, we were traveling with an 8 year old child. We were met at the airport by the hotel's driver and taken immediately to the hotel. My husband had mention to Robert and Abdess that it was my birthday trip. Once, we arrived in our room there was a beautiful flower arrangement in the room along with delicious fresh fruit, pastries, etc. Abdess arranged a few excursion in Morocco for us with Mustafa, the most amazing fun person who speaks perfect English. Since we were traveling with a small child we had dinner at the hotel almost every night. The food was delicious, home cooked. We could order from the menu or ask to cook something different which the hotel was happy to do. The breakfast is served in the upstairs deck and it is delicious and has quite a few choices. Our stay at the hotel reminded me of my childhood, careless, happy, everything is done for you :-)!!! I would very highly recommend to anyone going to Marrakesh to stay at the majestic Raid El Mansour. This is the very first review I have ever written. It is something that my husband always does. However, I just could not thank everyone for the most memorable holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Amber suite. Definitely would recommended. Quite large, beautifully decorated.
2 Thank WorldTraveler2Us
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Abdess, Wadi and the whole Riad el Mansour team was fantastic. I cannot say enough about how great the customer service was. I have stayed in many 5* hotels, but this was by far one of the best experiences. It started long before I actually arrived in Marrakech. They arranged a car to pick me up from the airport (for a very reasonable 15 euros), booked me into their own hammam experience (I dont know about the other hammam's in town, but this was very convenient - you get off the plane tired, arrive at the hotel, change into a bathrobe and just go downstairs to the hammam and massage)! I arrived early before my sister joined me the next day - so they arranged a lovely home cooked meal on the rooftop restaurant. Sitting in the cool evening air, with free wifi, I felt very relaxed and calm about life (even if the beer was a bit warm...) Both Wadi and Abdess gave us great recommendations for places to go eat during our days out in the Medina... The hotel itself is very clean, very quiet, and the rooms are exactly what you need (no more/no less), with little touches like fruit and water when you return from the heat of the midday sun... Overall an excellent hotel, and I would come back if I was in Marrakesh!!