“excellent return visit”
Review of Riad El Mansour

Riad El Mansour
Ranked #144 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is my second visit to Riad El Mansour and I was once again delighted with my stay. I enjoyed my first visit so much I didn’t think it could get any better but it has!!! This time I was travelling alone and was really happy (and surprised) to find that all the same wonderful members of staff were there. Again, they couldn't do enough to make me feel at home. Mustafa picked me up from the airport and greeted me like an old friend (I know this is part of his job but he makes it feel really genuine). Once we arrived at the Riad the staff made me feel immediately comfortable, taking my bag to the room and arranging for tea to be brought up while I unpacked.

The decor throughout the riad is truly breathtaking, candles glowing, soft relaxing music playing. I had a different room this time but this one was just as atmospheric with beautiful Morrocan hues, fresh fruit and nuts and bottled water (all of which were replaced every day). The shower was wonderful and the bed was fantastically comfortable. I slept like a baby.

I booked to eat at the Riad the first night and the food consisted of the freshest of ingredients (which is why they like you to book earlier in the day if you want to eat there) and was fantastic home cooked food, eaten on an open air terrace under the stars. The hustle and bustle of the city and everyday life seemed a million miles away.

The staff at the Riad are obviously very proud of their city and the riad and this shines through in everything they do for you.

Will definitely be planning a third visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank snickter

Reviewed January 17, 2012

We stayed in Riad El Mansour for three days around Christmas. We could not have had a better experience. All of the praise in the other reviews about the service, the rooms, the overall environment and all of the elegant and appealing touches is completely warranted. While this riad is currently listed as #21 out of 432 in Marrakech, our time in similarly priced accommodations in Morocco suggests it deserves an even higher ranking.

The Riad El Mansour certainly deserves its award of "Best Overall Service" for 2010. For us, everything starts with the service and that is impeccable (superlatives, in fact, don't do the service complete justice). Your every need is anticipated (including some needs you hadn't thought of). Whatever your request, Abdess and his team will find a way to satisfy it (and almost all of the extra service has no extra cost). This ethos of absolutely outstanding service extends from top to bottom, from the maid service to the wait staff to the marvelous driver to those in other areas that make the overall stay so enjoyable.

Others have mentioned all the wonderful aspects of this reasonably priced riad so I won't write what would be an exhaustive list. Highlights in no particular order included the elegantly decorated rooms and common areas; the marvelous showers; the candies, flowers and nuts (that are not only there on arrival but are replenished), the help with sights and restaurants; the twice-daily maid service; the extravagantly delicious breakfast on the roof terrace (it is cold in the early morning in December in Marrakech so we just slept late in the wonderfully comfy beds and enjoyed late-morning sun on the roof) and so much more.

I'll take the time to disagree with one minor concern that has been expressed. Once the on-duty manager has met and guided you initially from the end of a simple sequence of quiet alleys (i.e., "left-right at the end-right at the end" and look for the unique door), it's really no problem at all finding your way back.

So take the advice of other Trip Advisors and book early to be assured of a superlative stay in this remarkably wonderful riad!

Room Tip: Not sure what the name of the rooms we stayed in on the second floor but both the larger and smaller...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Real_BigD68
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I just arrived from the airport where I requested the riad to meet me which was a good choice on my part as it eased my arrival considerably.

I enjoyed the hospitality at this riad as I was made to feel that I was the only guest there even though I wasn’t. Soon after arrival, the manager spoke to me and showed me on the free map, where and how to go to the various places. He also made reservations for me at a few restaurants that were recommended to me. I was only in Marrakech for a few days so I wanted to make the most of it. After breakfast which was plentiful and delicious I headed to the various sites and tourist places. I did not eat dinner at the riad but instead went to various restaurants whose reviews I will soon write.

This riad is very well decorated, clean and friendly. It is small enough so that the staff are very attentive, yet you do not feel too confined and intrusive of other guests. They have a roof terrace where you can eat breakfast and sit out during the day while the sun was still out. I found it a bit cold to eat my breakfast there, but was able to do so in the salon where in the evening you can have a drink by the fireplace. By late afternoon and up until late morning, Marrakech was very cold. I enjoyed my stay here and feel very confident to recommend it.

Room Tip: I highly recommend that you take the riad,s transfer service.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Donna A
Reviewed January 16, 2012

As two ladies, of a certain age, it was with a little intrepidation that we arrived late on new year's eve at Marrakesh airport. Coming through arrivals we scanned the waiting drivers holding signs for exotic sounding riads, but nothing that looked liked 'el mansour'. As dejection and anxiety began to descend a welcoming whirlwind of smiling surrounded us as the driver scooped up our cases, and propelled us towards his car. Arriving at the gate to the city the car squeezed through ever narrowing alleys until it could go no further. We were met by Abdess who guided us through the labyrinth to the riad. An unprepossessing door opened like the lid of a jewellery box to reveal the riad, bedecked with twinkling lights. Refreshed by mint tea we were escorted to our dinner. A sumptuous banquet created just for the two of us - tagine after delicious tagine appeared accompanied by a delicious rose wine The room was perfect, beds comfortable and the fresh fruit, nuts and pastries a feast only for the eyes after the lavish dinner. After breakfast on the terrace, Abdess's map, carefully annotated, allowed us to explore the city. Spend the day sight seeing in the throng of the city and return to a wonderful scrub in the riad's hammam. Booking essential. Writing this in the gloom of an English afternoon. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank AmeliaEdwards
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This riad has received many exuberant reviews - and rightly so. We stayed here for three nights.

The riad itself is beautiful and tastefully furnished. It is quiet, peaceful and clean. We stayed in the "blue" room. The room itself is fairly small, but there is a large ensuite bathroom and it doesn't feel cramped at all for two people. The service is incredibly thoughtful. As others have mentioned, the provision of water fruit and nuts and flowers in the room was most appreciated! The shower was great and hot. On return from dinner on the first night the room was prepared for the evening and the heating was turned on.

The service in general is incredible, with the staff members all very willing to help.
The breakfast was fantastic - a mix of European and morroccan food and plenty to see you through most of the day. We had dinner on the first night having arrived in marrakesh about 3.30pm. I think we ordered a bit later than usual (you should let them know by midday) but they didn't mention this at all - which is typical of the elegant service. The dinner was delicious - the chicken pastilla in particular was excellent.

On arrival, Abdess gave us his very helpful map giving us all the basic info we needed. Abdess and also the manager in the afternoons seem to be aware of what their clients want.
Reading some of the other reviews, it seems that Abdess and his team are available to organise tours in and out of town and the like. However, we were happy finding our own way around and doing our own thing - Abdess certainly didn't inundate us with unwanted offers of tours etc...which was exactly right for us. Instead we were welcomed back from our daily wanderings with a friendly chat that gave the place a homely feel.

Excellent.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 966Anna
Reviewed January 11, 2012

This was the first part of a two-location stay in Marrakech leading up to Christmas. Being a family of four, we took the larger of the El Mansour's 6 rooms, which was full of Moroccan allure in its decor and accommodated the four of us very comfortably. The care taken over the presentation of the property gave it a highly photogenic quality that makes it futile for me to include any photos of our stay given their close similarity to those posted by other reviewers. The El Mansour is an excellent location to stay if wanting to take in the old town and its colourful (but exhaust fume-filled) streets leading to the souk area. For the kids especially it was a bit of an adventure to walk along the back alleys leading to and from the Riad - but the whole outside experience is such an assault to the senses that it was sufficient to spend only a couple of days discovering the souks and other places of interest in the old town. The 3rd day saw us take a wonderful trip into the Atlas mountains and the Riad's staff were happy to provide a driver to take us there - then seek out a guide to accompany us on a climb up to the waterfalls etc. The final day was spent relaxing on the Riad's pretty and comfortable upper terrace and lounging on the furniture immediately outside the room. It is very impressive the level of thought that has gone into ensuring that guests want for little: the great breakfast, free wi-fi, the incredible fruit and nuts supplied in the room, the toiletries in the bathroom, a decent shelf of books and DVDs. But what really left a mark was the attitude of the El Mansour's staff: it was obvious that they really care about what they do from the cleaning lady, cook, driver up to the duty manager - everyone works hard to make it work. Finally, once we had tired of trudging into the old town or around Jemaa el-Fnaa to eat in a perfectly acceptable and inexpensive local restaurant, we decided to take dinner in the Riad: comparatively pricey but absolutely worth being able to eat a delicious home-made meal in the beautiful surroundings so close to the room. We felt a little sad to leave the Riad El Mansour to embark on the second part of our stay in Marrakech at Le Meridien N'Fis but that is another story. Perhaps another review for another day.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MeadowStorm
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed for 6 nights at Riad El Mansour in January 2012. It was our first time in Marrakesh and everybody told us to book a Riad instead of a hotel and so we did. The experience was terrific from the moment we were picked up at the airport. The Riad itself is fantastic: luxurious moroccan decoration, comfortable rooms, Wifi access, private hammam and massage room and a lovely terrace where we have breakfast everyday (the breakfast itself was wonderful too)...... But the best for us was the way all the staff treated us. The managers are very kind and they would do anything they can to make you enjoy your stay ("No problem" is their motto...) while the ladies who served us the breakfast and take care of the room are very helpful. All of them are very friendly too. We really felt like sultans in the riad. An special mention should be made to the map Abdess, one of the managers, gave us upon our arrival. It was far more hepful than any guide you can buy in the world. 6 out of 5!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple