“Perfect in every way”
Review of Dar Charkia

Dar Charkia
Ranked #38 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed May 19, 2010

My husband and I travelled to Marrakesh, staying at Dar Charkia, with friends. Lisa and Micheal were the prefect hosts throughout. Prior to the trip Lisa was excellent in advising and making restaurant bookings, arranging collection from the airport ( Definitely recommend this!) etc on our behalf. All ran like clockwork, which meant all we had to do was sit back and relax with a beer prior to venturing out into the chaos which lay beyond the front door and tranquility of Dar Charkia.

Dar Charkia, is a beautiful riad, lovingly restored and decorated by Lisa & Micheal in a modern style with morrocan twist. The accommodation is spotlessly clean and all the staff are exceptional and a real credit to Lisa and Micheal. We came to know Abdual (the night porter) very well, and he was very patient and curteous with us when we were knocking on the door to come in after a night in the town!!!!!

The breakfast at Dar Charkia is superb and available throughout the morning, it makes a pleasant change to be sat in a beautiful cool courtyard as opposed to the busy, noisy dining rooms of some of the large hotels.

My husband and I have travelled extensively throughout the world both for leisure and business and stayed in many hotels and accommodtions along the way....Dar Charkia is right up there as one of our favourites and I would recommend to anybody traveliing the Marrakesh to check-in and experince it for themselves....I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,327)

Reviewed May 16, 2010

My husband arranged a 3 day stay at Dar Charkia as an early birthday treat and I have to say that whilst the whole stay in Marrakech was fabulous, the accomodation and welcome at Dar Charkia was the highlight of our stay.
The Riad is in a very quiet street so is a peaceful retreat from the bustle of Marrakech - but its only a few minutes walk away from the centre . Lisa has restored the Riad with fabulous attention to detail, taking her inspiration from the local themes and colours but with a modern twist which gives a boutique feel to the rooms. We stayed in one of the suites which was well worth the extra cost. Both Lisa and MIchael have loads of knowledge about what to do and where to go and helped my husband plan an itinerary for the 3 days which meant that we didn't have to waste any time on our precious break working out where to go. All their recommendations on where to eat and tips on where to buy items in the souks were great and they were extremely helpful in helping us hatch a plan to take our many purchases back to England. Lisa we love our 3 new carpets and it was worth all the mint tea that we had to drink to get the right price ! - thanks again!. We would definitely go back if visiting again and have recommended Dar Charkia to all our friends.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Marrakech was fabulously different- the narrow roads of the medina, early morning call to prayer, the souks and hammans. It feels exhilarating to be a brief visitor in a rich new culture.
Amidst all of this colour and chaos, what really made my holiday was the Riad- Dar Charkia. I felt the friendly sense of peace as soon as i walked in to the stunningly decorated Riad.
I have never stayed somewhere which manages to be amazingly relaxed and open, whilst simultaneously spotless, and quietly, kindly efficient. There are so many little dens within the Riad- by the small pool, on the terrace roof, the tent area- that you are guarenteed peace with a Cassablanca beer or a mint tea.
I loved how light and bright the Riad was- with its splashes of colour and Morrocan decor. I just loved it. And it was maintained to a really high standard.
I would absolutely recommend this gorgeous , high standard, friendly Riad to anybody.

Reviewed May 15, 2010

I booked a surprise visit to Marrakesh for our 23rd Wedding Anniversary and it was perfect! Not only was everything as beautiful as described and shown on the website by the owners Michael and Lisa, but capturing the ambiance is impossible until you are actually there! The rooms were fantastic all individually named and themed. But our favourite was the roof terrace, knowing there were several rooms we knew we were not alone however we would go back late afternoon and we always felt like we had the entire Riad to ourselves. Marrakesh is MAD with a capital M but Dar Charkia is a magical retreat where nothing is too much trouble for our hosts and their staff! My husband was super chilled , and Michael noticed he hadn't shaved and introduced him to his local barber, who gave him the closest shave he had ever experienced!!
Our only criticism is we didn't book for long enough next time we are going for longer!
I spent hours trawling through websites, so to help you out don't bother, Dar Charkia is the perfect place to stay. From the moment we arrived Michael met us with refreshments, took time out of his busy day to take us through all the do's and dont's which we thoroughly appreciated, we were given a map already doctored by Lisa highlighting restaurants, shops and museums, which made life so much easier. Prior to our visit I put an itinerary together with Lisa to ensure we knew exactly what we were doing. A huge must is to eat in the Riad, the food was superb and Abdul and Samira offer excellent service!! For our anniversary evening we ate in Lotus Privileged, which was recommend by Lisa, thanks for that, it was one of the most beautiful places to spend such a romantic evening, sorry Michael for doubting you! Thanks once again to you all, and so sorry we never got to meet with you Lisa, hopefully when we return!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Dar Charkia the 10th-14th of May. To book a stay at Dar Charkia you can email them directly or ring them. I rang them originally and gave my credit card details to secure the booking (they don't charge your credit card) and then we were sent an email with information on how to pay, details of trips and recommended restaurants. The deposit (half of the overall balance) was paid by bank transfer and then the remainder of the balance can be paid on arrival or the day of departure.

We booked a trip through Dar Charkia in advance of our stay to the Ouzoud Waterfalls which I highly recommend. We also booked a transfer through Dar Charkia to pick us up from the airport and take us to Dar Charkia, which was 150 dirhams. Its well worth the money, it only took about 20 minutes from the airport but you'd probably get lost if you decided to make your own way there.

When we arrived at the airport, before passport control you're required to fill in a white form which asks you details such as the date of issue of your passport, where you're staying during your visit and other details, so make sure you have a pen handy. You also need to fill in another white form on your departure as well, so again make sure you have a pen handy. As soon as you exit departures and pass through passport control, the driver was holding a sign with my name so we knew who to meet. Also in this area you''ll find the exchange desks where you can change your money to dirhams. Morroco's curreny is closed meaning you can only spend it in Morroco and you shouldn't be able to get Dirhams outside of Morroco, however I checked with my bank and they did have them available to exchange, but the exchange rate in the UK isn't good so it's definately better to exchange them when you arrive. If you do decide to bring Dirhams in with you there is a limit of 1000 dirhams which is about £80.

When we got out of the car the driver motioned for one of the locals who put our suitcases in a chariot (trolley) and showed us to Dar Charkia and the driver advised us to tip him 20 dirhams (about £1.60). This was a bit presumptious as we weren't asked, we were told to do this and didn't seem to have a choice but without the local we would have most definately got lost trying to find Dar Charkia even though it was less than 5 minutes from where we'd been dropped off so it was worth it.

When we arrived at Dar Charkia we were showing to seats in the courtyard and greeted by Michael who offered us a welcome drink and then Michael gave us a welcome chat which lasted about an hour and he also gave us a map and drew points of interest on it for us. The welcome chat was very informative and useful.

We didn't get to meet Lisa, but Michael and all the staff at Dar Charkia were more than helpful and very polite and friendly.

Dar Charkia is very serene, calm and relaxing, a great retreat from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. The courtyard has a small pool, tables in the centre and then two alcoves (salon) with seating areas. Its beautifully decorated with a tree in the middle with decorations hanging from it and lots of birds in the trees, everything was orange, purple and white.

We stayed in the Sahara room which overlooked the courtyard. The room was very clean and the shower was nice and big and had rose petals scattered in it. The room was nicely decorated and had a spare hairdryer, travel adapter and sewing kit in it as well as shower gels, soaps etc and 2 dressing gowns. We did find the bed a bit hard and the room did get very hot at night, my boyfriend and I didn't sleep the whole night through during our stay due to this. Also, around 5am every morning there is a call put out over the loudspeakers calling the locals to the mosque to pray so this may wake you up, as it did me but it didn't take me long to fall back to sleep.

The only meal we had at Dar Charkia was breakfast so I can't comment on their lunch or dinner. The dinner which is a 3 course meal is 400 dirhams per person (about £32 each) which I think is quite expensive considering a meal in the main square for two people is only about 150-200 dirhams, and this included desert. We did speak to one couple who had eaten dinner at Dar Charkia and they did compliment the food and say it was really nice though.

The breakfast varied each day. On our first morning it consisted of fruit in what I think was yogurt which was absolutely delicious. There was also pancakes, crossaints and bread with strawberyy and fig jam. We were given the choice of english tea or mint tea and we also had fresh orange juice. The breakfast on the second day was a yogurt with nuts in (I have a nut allergy so asked if it was possible for me to have the yogurt without the nuts and the staff were obliging and this didn't seem to be a problem). Again we had pancakes, bread and this time also some sort of sticky egg roll laced with honey. Again with orange juice and a choice of english or mint tea. The third day was much the same but with omlette also. You can choose to have breakfast in the courtyard, on the roof terrace or outside your room.

After a busy day wandering around Marrakech, Dar Charkia was a peaceful haven to return to. We did use the pool once during our stay, it was pretty cold but the temperature was hot so it was very refreshing! One thing I will say was that if you stayed in the shower for too long it did tend to go cold. We did sunbathe on the roof terrace on the sun loungers which was very relaxing.

The room was cleaned daily and to a very high standard.

I'd highly recommend Dar Charkia as a great place to stay in Marrakech and if I was to return in the future i'd definately stay here again.

Some tips about Marrakech: A great place to eat in the square is the Argana restaurant, they have a lovely terrace overlooking the square and the food is fantastic especially their tagine chicken with lemon.

You are expected to tip wherever you eat and if you don't the waiters will most likely ask and be offended if you don't.

Wear suncream as the heat of the sun can be very deceptive as I found out on our first day because I burnt.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank emilysj
Reviewed May 14, 2010

The Dar Charkia Riad is a fabulous retreat in the medina - coupling extraordinary staff with all the amenities of modern life. An ample, special breakfast on the rooftop afforded a view of the Atlas mountains and an opportunity to enjoy the sun. Dinner was excellent although I wish that I had not eaten lunch as the quantities were very generous. The Riad arranged for transfer from Casablanca and the driver slowed on the return trip to allow for taking of pictures. A guide, recommended by Lisa and Michael, the owners, spent a day touring us around the souks and sights. Thanks to the catering of the staff and the proprietors, our stay in Marrakech was perfect! We highly recommend the RIAD and cannot wait to return.

Reviewed May 13, 2010

First trip to Marrakech. Went with three friends. What a fantastic place to stay.

Everything top quality. Food fantastic, staff fantastic. A tremendous experience.

Huge thanks to Lisa and Michael!!!!