“A haven in a vibrant city”
Review of Dar Charkia

Dar Charkia
Ranked #36 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed October 10, 2009

A great riad which offers serenity in a chaotic but fascinating city. Rooms (saw a couple as well as my own - Khmissa) are - like the rest of the old merchant villa - lovely, designed with a mix of the Moroccan with the modern. There's communal lounging areas, games, the terrace for some sun, and a small pool.

The meals (breakfast, and we had a Morrocan meal one evening) were great. Drinks are on tap should you want... just settle up at the end of your stay!

I have stayed in one other riad, which was nice, but Dar Charkia sets itself apart with fantastic service, advice and guidance. Owners Lisa and Michael give you a low down on the places to go (and what to expect!), tips on getting the best out of the souks, and recommend some great restaurants. Beyond that, the staff are great - will make bookings for you, and will even arrange a chaparone for the nervous through the narrow streets to any restaurant.

I would highly recommend Dar Charkia, and it would be my first choice if I get chance for another trip to Marrakech.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 10, 2009

We have just returned from a fabulous trip to Marrakech, Our Riad, the Dar Charkia, was really beautifully decorated and had a wonderful atmosphere. Our hosts, Lisa and Michael, made sure everything was done to make us as comfortable as possible and nothing was too much trouble. We shall definitely be returning to Marrakech and would only want to stay at the same place - nothing else could better it.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I enjoyed a long weekend here with my sisters and my mother. Dar Charkia ticks all the right boxes if you are looking for the perfect get away. The Riad has been beautifully decorated and all the rooms are all fabulous - spacious and clean. Breakfasts on the roof terrace were memorable and the food always delicious and fresh. Staff here are very welcoming and the owners, Lisa and Micheal give fantastic tips and advice both before you leave and all the way through your holiday. A real haven of peace and tranquility and always great to come through the huge wooden door at the end of a hot days haggling at the souks - the courtyard area is lovely to relax in with a drink. A fantastic find and would love to return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2009

We had a great time, at this beautiful riad, the hosts and staff made us feel so comfortable. Nothing was too much.An absolute must for a stay in Marrakech. The Riad is within walking distance of the town centre and there is a taxi rank on the doorstep.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Dar Charkia has to be the most amazing place I have ever stayed. When walking through the streets to the Riad last minute worries of what the accomodation is going to be like started to enter my head as Marrakech is unlike anywhere I have ever been to before. However, the minute the Riad door was opened it was like being transported to an Oasis.

The Riad definatly needs to be seen to be believed, the photos do not capture how amazing this place is! The attention to detail throughout the property is amazing (I was still seeing things I had missed on the last day).

Lisa, Michael and all of the staff made us feel so welcome and we really were treated like royalty. LIsa kindly arranged excursions for our group which I would thoroughly suggest (Cookery course, Spa and a very special dinner at the Lotus Privalege) Plus Lisa gave us the names of some of her trusted suppliers in the Souks where a good deal was to be had.

I cannot fault Dar Charkia, they made my friends 30th birthday something that will not be forgotten.

If you are going to Marrakech and do not book into Dar Charkia then you will be missing out!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Staying at Dar Charkia with Michael, Lisa and their team was truly wonderful. Eleven women left the UK for a 30th birthday celebration that exceeded all expectations. From the time we entered the Riad until we left, we were treated as honoured guests - nothing was too much for them.
Our first glance at the property was amazing. There were fresh flowers, candles, large comfy sofas and a pool. The rooms were incredible, large and spacious with an en suite bathroom, soft white bedding and fluffy bathrobes.
We had breakfast on the roof terrace, waited on hand and foot by the staff.
Lisa gave us tips about Marrakech and she had arranged all our outings in advance so that we could have a fun filled time.
Our rooms were spotless and cleaned every day. On the last night, we ate in and had a great meal .
The whole trip was a laugh and something to remember as the dark winter nights approach. I would recommend Dar Charkia without any hesitation and I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed October 1, 2009

but you've got to step in to find it!

This is a must-visit riad. You will be welcomed by Lisa, Michael and their team of staff upon your arrival and will immediately be made to feel at home. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable and the style of the riad and its furnishings are plush. There is not a bad room in this place. All are en suite and overlook the beautiful courtyard and pool.

I highly recommend signing up to some of the excursions Lisa's can arrange for you. Top of my list is the cookery course, the spa day and an evening at the Lotus Privilage restaurant (London chic without the London price). Dinner at the riad is also a must as the quality was second to none and the service exceptional. Breakfast was served daily on the terrace, at any time requested, and was plenty to keep you going until lunch.

You must tap into Lisa's local knowledge as it will get you far and it is free! This is a riad I will recommend to anyone intending a visit to Marrakech. Go for it!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends