WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Dar Charkia

Dar Charkia
Ranked #21 of 511 Hotels in Marrakech
Augusta, Georgia
“Highlight of our Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

My girlfriend and I spent a week at Dar Charkia and it was the absolute highlight of our vacation! While we regularly review Trip Advisor for recommendations we have never been more positively compelled to add our experiences. As a jaded frequent flier that commutes weekly for business travel I was completely blown away by Michael and Lisa and their efforts to make sure your trip was nothing less than perfect.

From spending time with us pouring over a map of Marrekech helping us plan our next adventure to the delightful breakfast that kept us guessing whether the jam or butter was better to the romantic candlelit dinners to the best Pimm's I've had outside of London this place truly is the real deal that you see in all the other reviews.

And the best part is while Marrekech and the medina can be a full on, non-stop experience two quick turns and you’re back in the absolute tranquility of Dar Charkia. Next thing you know you’re relaxing by the dip pool or watching the sun set over the city from the roof top terrace sipping mint tea while reminiscing about the bargain that got away.

Though I really doubt there is a bad room at Dar Charkia we absolutely fell in love with the Khmissa Suite. From the morning sun to the light and airy feel of the room, my girlfriend only wishes she could have brought all of Lisa's decorations in the room home with her!

Trust me, you want to stay in the medina and you want to stay at Dar Charkia.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Auburn, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

Our very first time in Marrakech and we could not have stayed at a more wonderful riad. Lisa and Michael are gracious hosts. Lisa spent a great deal of time with us when we arrived pointing out best places in the souks and nice restaurants in the area. The staff at Dar Charkia were exceptional, always there if you needed them, but never overbearing. Marrakech is full of energy and Dar Charkia was a welcome oasis of calmness after returning from a busy day in the souks. Our room was gorgeous, spacious, and well-appointed, as was the entire riad. I would absolutely stay here again on a return trip.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed at Dar Charkia last month for a three night trip to Marrakech. I found the riad through trip advisor and the traveller photos and faultless reviews were enough to sell the place to me! I am happy to say, it completely lived up to my expectations.

The courtyard is perfect, attention to detail is second to none (I would happily commision Lisa & Michael to decorate my own home!) and the peaceful ambience is unbelievable in comparison to the busy medina. Our room, the Sahara, was a comfortable size with plenty of storage and the complimentary water and nuts on arrival were much appreciated! There was even an adaptor plug ready for our English applicances!

Breakfast was slightly varied each morning (though thankfully it always included pancakes and fig jam, yummy!), and I know my friend has already tried to recreate some of the delights back at home! On the first morning, Lisa sat with my friend and I and talked us through an annotated map which proved invaluable in selecting what to see and where to eat.

We were a bit concerned, on arrival, that as two 20-something girls, we would easily become lost finding our way back through the maze of alleys to the riad, but I am pleased to say it really is easy to navigate once you get the hang of it! And it's a mere 5 minute walk to the start of the souks.

We felt safe walking back to the riad at night (usually to relax with a bottle of wine on the roof terrace!), and wouldn't hesitate in booking our stay there again for any return trips.

A wonderful place.

Room Tip: We had the Sahara which was perfect for two. I can't imagine there'd be a bad room here!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

I have unfortunately just returned from a 4 day break in Marrakech, I am sorry to have left Dar Charkia, this place is perfection. The staff are great and really friendly and the anglo- german owners are a great help and very welcoming. The attention to detail to make everything about your stay peaceful and relaxing is beyond satisfactory. It is in a perfect location right near the beautiful souks. My parents have stayed here on one occasion and then myself and my boyfriend (both 20) therefore proving that this place is great for any ages. The food is also faultless. I really can't write enough to justify this place but all I will say is even if your on a tight budget this place is well worth the money to stay here rather then some of the cheaper riads as I have heard from many people they can be far less pleasant then the stay we had in Dar Charkia!!!!! The only possible improvement I could suggest is having a jacuzzi rather than a plunge pool!!!!!! Thanks for our stay, we will be back!!!

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

Dar Charkia is a stunning riad, just a few minutes walk from the hustle and bustle of the souks and a few more minutes walk from the main square.

Lisa & Michael are fantastic hosts, Lisa took the time to take us through a map of the city, highlighting great places to shop, visit, eat and the best toilet stops - a must in Marrakech and the rest of the staff at the riad are just as great.

The rooms are wonderful, really clean, lovely bed linen and lots of gorgeous Moroccan decoration and the whole riad is just a wonderful oasis of calm, relaxing tranquility. However, the absolute best thing about this place is the great food - we arrived late on Friday evening and so ordered dinner and it was amazing, really fresh and super tasty, so good that we decided to have our final lunch there as well before flying home.

We stayed for a long weekend, which is a nice amount of time for such a 'sensory overload' city. Can't recommend Dar Charkia high enough, don't bother looking at any other riads, this one is the best, you won't be disappointed

Emma

1 Thank Emma P
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

I treated mum to 4 days (3 nights) at Dar Charkia as her 60th birthday present and it was the most perfect place we could have chosen to stay. Becuase it was mum´s birthday Lisa treated us like royalty! The food, service and attention to detail was fantastic- lovely free mint tea and cake whenever you like, a very friendly night guard who will make you cocktails anytime of day or night, lovely nuts and dried fruit in silver pots in the rooms.. incredible breakfasts.. 5* treatment all the way. Prior to our arrival Lisa and I must have exchanged over 100 emails- she was always super prompt to response and very helpful too- ensuring we had bookings at the best restuarants and giving us lots of helpful pre-travel trips.

Other reviewers have made this point numerous times but it needs to be said again- Dar Charkia is STUNNING. The bed rooms and bathrooms are like modern art galleries- brimming with carefully chosen local art, antiques and the chicest books. The interior is both unusual and inspiring- I´m guessing that Lisa is a professional designer. What´s so special about the interior is much of the artifacts are locally sourced and Lisa is on hand to point you in the right direction of the best value shops and stalls in the souks if you want to replicate the Dar Charkia look and take some treasures home.

The most brilliant thing about Dar Charkia, is that Lisa is seriously into shopping and clearly loves to share all her priceless information about how much you should pay for things, where to shop, how to avoid being ripped off, where to lunch etc. every guest on arrival gets a 30minute introduction to Marrakesh and is given a map which Lisa has painstakingly annotated by hand herself- pointing out all the best places. Thanks to Lisa Mum and I left marrakesh with serious bargains- two lovely soft leather weekend bags for less than 50quid (together), tons of beautiful silver and ceremic ware, clothes, cosmetics.. really this is the best place for shopperholics!

I will be returning to Dar Charkia without question, it´s such a romantic beautiful place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

We have recently returned from a 4 night stay at Dar Charkia and can't thank Lisa,Michael and the staff enough.They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and gave us invaluable tips to enhance our stay.The Riad,rooms and terrace were beautifully decorated without being ostentatious and we enjoyed many hours chilling there.Dar Charkia is perfectly situated for experiencing the thrills of Marrakech and we look forward to returning soon.