“Simply superb”

Les Bains de Marrakech
Ranked #8 of 109 Spas & Wellness in Marrakech
Reviewed July 31, 2013

From start to finish this is without doubt one of the best most proffesional spas we have ever visited. We opted for the Relax day spa treament. We arrived at 9.30am for drinks and relax in the courtyard. We were given fresh clean robes and flipflops. At around 10 am we were led into the steam room. In there we had eucalyptus oil rubbed into our bodies, full body scrub and clay mask. All interspersed between relaxation times. The whole process lasted about 45mins. Very nice. We were then led into another relaxation room where we had drinks. Next came a warm bath of salt and bitter orange. The bath was full of rose petals. This lasted about 30mins. Again relax back in the court yard with fresh orange juice to drink. Finally we went for a full relaxation body massage that lasted 1 hour. Once complete back to a different relaxation room that sprayed fine jets of cooling water. Biscuits and drinks. Wow! The place is fantastically decorated. Everything is kept totally fresh and clean. Really nothing negative to say. The cost was 850Dh per person about £70. Not a lot when you consider we came out at 2pm. Four and half hours! The other thing to note is all our treatments were done together so my wife and I could enjoy the whole experience together. Very nice.

There are newer reviews for Les Bains de Marrakech

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I came here for the Relax package with 3 girlfriends on a weekend trip to Marrakech. I am fortunate enough to work with some of the best resorts and spas in the world so I didnt expect the spa to have the same standard that I am used to. I was beyond blown away by the experience, service was top notch, facilities were spotless and everything was just amazing. The services started with the 45 minute hammam and black soap scrub. If you have not experienced this before, it may come as a surprise as its a bit abrasive and you have to take your top off. The ladies use buckets of water to rinse you off (similar to what my mother would do with a garden hose when I was a child and played in the mud), followed by a mud wrap that soaks for a softer skin. Once the mud mask is rinsed off, it was time for the oriental bath which was upstairs, the building is huge! Walked into a room that was filled with romantic rose petals and candles and it smelled like heaven! It was the most romantic thing I have ever seen, too bad I was sharing this with a girlfriend instead of a boyfriend! Then on to the massage, also the best massage I have ever had. I loved everything about this everience and so did my friends. Although the package lists times like 45 minute hammam and 1 hour massage, I am pretty sure that all of the services run way longer so you definitely do not get shorted for your money. Although two of my traveling companions had never left the US before and were quite shocked that the services include all areas of the body (no modesty here, it is normal to get your chest and buttocks massaged) they loved it so much they both made another appointment for the next day before we left from our first experience.

The staff was fantastic and I would be back in a heartbeat if I could!

1  Thank snowlover18
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I cannot thank my friends enough for having recommended Les Bains de Marrakech!! I’m not usually a fan of hammams and massages (especially in foreign countries), but I went anyways because my friends assured me it was worth it.
First of all, the place is sumptuous. It feels like you’re in a Moroccan riad! It’s clean and the decoration is immaculate.
I was wonderfully welcomed and I started off with an hammam. Being rather shy, I loved the fact that the hammam cabins were private! After an exfoliating scrub and ghassoul mask, I felt totally purified, inside and out. Also, thank you to the masseuse who worked wonders! I even fell asleep during the massage.
After that, I had delicious, home-made snacks and mint tea in a beautiful resting room.
I also can’t not mention the pool and the fresh juice!
I’m coming back to Marrakech in beginning October and I’ve already booked a few treatments! A few words of advice if you plan on going: Book in advance! They’re closed in August and they were already full for the month of September, so I had to change my dates.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Hamman perfect, staff very nice and the treatment more than expected! The atmosphere great! Not to be missed

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I work in tourism in Marrakech and have heard from many colleagues that this hammam is the best in the city. My friends from abroad were also very happy with this experience. So I dedided to give it a try.
The beginning was really good. Enchanting oriental atmosphere, sensual fragrances, impeccable cleanliness, smiling ladies in Moroccan garments welcoming you. I was taken to the changing rooms, given an electronic key, a bathrobe and slippers, and left there all by my own, without any explanations. I waited for the lady to come and tell me what to do, in the end I had to go and look for her myself and ask her a lot of questions. She promised to show me the swimming pool after I finish my shower, but I ended up wandering through the labyrinth corridors all by myself again. Swimming pool part was good. They graciously allowed my to stay there for 1,5 hr instead of 0,5, because I didn't know about the time change and came early. However, the roaring heavy traffic outside didn't match with the calm atmosphere of the hammam at all. When the time came, I was taken to the hammam itself, again without any explanation. Although they knew that I understand French and Arabic, it's just not their style of work - to communicate with the customer. I was starting to feel as a prisoner or victim that has to follow obediently the orders of the jail keeper.
The hammam woman was not gentle with me at all. She quickly made me undress, unceremoniously taking away my stuff from me. Quickly did the savonage, during which she painfully scratched my skin with her nails. When she started gommage, I asked her to do it properly, like in a real Moroccan hammam, so that my old skin goes off. She gave a stupid answer: since you took shower, your skin is clean. As her quick light movements didn't give any effect, I asked her to do it slowly and with force. But she clearly had no idea or experience of how to do gommage. I was just waiting for this terrible experience to end. After that I asked her to let me do my henna body mask by myself (I agreed it with reception before). But she insisted on doing it for me (probably expected some tips??) I was about to start crying, as she covered with henna my nails (that gives them henna colour that stays for a few days, and professional hammam women always avoid it) and even my private parts!! (painful feeling!) Then she ordered me to go to shower where I found just shower gel (although I was told that they offer shampoo).She didn't leave me in peace even there, constantly asking behind the door: ca va? ca va? (which probably meant: hurry up, I have a line of clients after you! you will take your long shower at home!) As I went out, she already collected all my stuff and was holding it out to me. My wet swimming suit was unceremoniously put in the pocket of my bathrobe. I was convoyed to the last stage of conveyor: the resting room. Again, without explanations (is it only for women? how long can I stay). Beautiful design, comfortable beds, relaxing music, a cup of mint tea... Unfortunately, I didn't care about it anymore. I just wanted to get out. As I knew it was useless to wait for assistance or attention, I wandered through the labyrinth again, till I finally found a staff member who showed me the way out. It didn't feel like I had hammam at all. Where is that feeling of lightness, cleanliness and rebirth?? A girl at the exit (a different door from the entrance), after my remarks, confessed to me that Moroccans don't come to them to do hammam. And that a real hammam requires time and relaxation. It's a purely touristic place that can make happy only those who have no idea about the real Moroccan hammam.
I went out sad and disappointed.... For sure, will never bring my tourists there!

2  Thank Olga_kuzn
kad1966, Responsable relations publiques at Les Bains de Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Now, seriously dear Madame,

You don’t speak about Les Bains de Marrakech but Alcatraz, don’t you?

We do our best to treat and answer all comments as quickly as possible but in this case, we don’t know what to say…!

Oh yes just 2 or 3 little things :

- We don’t do henna precisely because Les Bains de Marrakech is a professional spa of well-being and relaxation for a cosmopolitan clientele not a simple tourist attraction. However, if it had been the case, all our practitioner are Moroccan women and they know how to use henna in generations so I wish that they know where to put it on the body, don’t you think?

- As well, precisely because we’re a spa and not just a hammam, it’s impossible to stay inside for a couple of hours. In traditional one, you can do this because it’s less hot so women can stay and talk together half a day for example.

In your comment, you indicate that you enjoyed the swimming pool because you were not aware of the time change (during Ramadan), a strange fact for a person who is working in tourism in Marrakech…

We’re very surprised by our comment, we don’t want to be boring but as you said to our manager that you enjoyed your treatment at the end of your spa, let us ask what is the aim of this comment…

Best regards,