“Must go!”

Les Bains de Marrakech
Ranked #10 of 131 Spas & Wellness in Marrakech
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The photos on here really do not do this place justice, visit the website for a better look. It is a clean, relaxing, professional contemporary spa with a morrocan edge in the middle of hustle and bustle of the city, easy to find.

The prices are reasonable and much cheaper than what you would pay in the UK. We went here on our last day in Marrakech, my mum had a 1hr massage which she could not fault at all, and I had a hammam and algae wrap. The relaxation areas before and after the treatments are beautiful, and the staff are very friendly and serve mint tea before your treatment and another mint tea and bottle of water afterwards. Reception staff speak good English. I would only say that if you wear contact lenses take them out before your hammam!! Make sure you wear a bikini too. The lockers were secure and dressing gowns and slippers provided. Make sure you buy some of the products afterwards too, they are lovely, and quite reasonable given the quality. You also need to book in advance!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,772)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"treatment rooms"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

This place has certainly been designed well and has a warm modern yet morrocan feel about it. The website is informative and engaging telling you about its owner and what they're trying to achieve.. All commendable and gets you believing into the concept before you get there. You are a informed customer therefore expectant.

We booked a tradtional hamam as a couple which was supposed to last 45 mins. At the outset there seemed a dis interest.. Do they not need or want out custom? It seemed quite odd.. We were just left to our own devices chatting amongst ourselves for 15 mins.. Do we just wait here? A brief of what we were paying for and what was going to happen And the benefits of that would not have gone amiss.. This pattern was to follow throughout our time here. Lost in translation this was not.. There are without doubt plenty of able English speakers within the establishment.. That could take 5 mins and explain. Details and care that was absent throughout unfortunately.

After a while we were taken to our changing rooms.. Exemplary they were.. Beautifully appointed and told to change to our smalls given a digital key on a wristband and told to leave all electrical devices in the locker.

Once we were ready we were taken to the steam room told to relax then a couple of cups of water thrown on us. Ten mins later a woman came in and patted on some savon noir told us to lie on our back and went off. Fifteen minutes she returned and scrubbed each of us down with a mitt for less than a minute and ordered both of us to shower . As I came out she spent 30 seconds rubbing oil on me then we were left to relax. That was basically it! The 45 min experience! Steam room a bit savon noir and a bit of oil thrown in..

The experience was rushed and there seemed a total lack of empathy and care towards us and the experience we were supposed to have. Instead of if being something very personal it was very impersonal and we felt the person giving us the hamam was just going through the motions. For me it was like regressing back to being about 6 when your mother scrubs you down in the bath when you've been playing out too long . Throws a bucket of water on you and gets you out of the shower just as quick.. The feel was more of that than something luxurious that the surroundings thought it demanded.. I don't know maybe we didnt pay enough to warrant that service maybe you need to buy more than just the hamam.. If so why offer it?..

But a friend that used to work in no other than Giorgio Armani once told me the training they were given is to make the person who spends the least money more special or as special as the person who spends the most.. The reason he said .. Today he has bought a belt .. Tomorrow he will be back for a suit/ shirt / etc.. The thinking here was very short term.. And even though we are not going back with things like this news does travel fast..

Having had a Turkish version of the hamam which we experienced on a recent visit to Turkey. This was refreshing stimulating and enjoyable everything the Le Bains wasn't. The settings, the decor and surroundings are exemplary but it felt all fur coat and no knickers. The ambience is and should be the added bonus.. The cherry on the cake. More attention communication and care needs to be taken. A more personalised and individual one to one attention approach where at least 15 to 20 mins is taken putting on the oil or whatever might make the difference. I could have been anywhere maybe my local leisure centre for all intents and purposes.. Wasn't much of a experience if the truth be told. I think saunas are widely available throughout most corners of the world including the uk which was what this was interspersed with some random woman chucking a few buckets of water at you every 20 mins.. Must have caught them on the off day.. Maybe....

1  Thank Soph50
kad1966, Gérant at Les Bains de Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for alerting us, and thank you for your opinion we will create a better control on our treatments in trhe hammam and I invite our future customers to pronounce their opinion on-the-spot positive notices or negative ones so that we can verify the accuracy of the facts and so get ilmproved for the well-being of our customers the quality waited by all
and please note that we impose no care to our costumers, they choose according to their desires and needs

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our Riad ordered suggested this and it wasn’t too close – so we walked to the square and took a taxi here for 20 dh (about £1.50). We were advised it was close but that it made an easy journey.
Fantastic and a great break after a long day walking the day before.
We had the tonic treatment – I’d suggest you book for about 1:30 – we had 2:30 so missed the storks landing at Kosybar, but a must is to have the spa then walk across to Kosybar for a relaxing view as the storks roost along the place walls.
Our Riad suggest the club sandwich for lunch - en route – at the hotel Les Jardins de la Koutoubia – which we didn’t have time for so did the following day. If you’ve had your fill of tagines then this is the place to go – great food and an nice pool to laze beside. Actually we loved Riad Meriem but if walking to the square doesn’t appeal then this place may be worth considering staying, if you like a premium European style hotel – but I’d highly recommend Riad Meriem and plan to go back there. If we do, I’d repeat the Les Bain de Marrakech too – whilst my guide books suggested hitting a traditional (public/local) hammam – I got my fix simply having street food in the square after a couple of margaritas in Kosybar and walking back along rue Riad Zitoun Kedim (up-cycle alley to you and me)
A perfect day: in summary – day 2 (following a day of lots of walking around the souks)
Arrive at hotel Les Jardins de la Koutoubia ca 11 after a troll throug hteh souks and watching the snake charmers in the square
Noon lunch at hotel Les Jardins de la Koutoubia – great club sandwich and cobb salads
Taxi from there to Bab Agnaou / Les Bains de Marrakech – maybe a stoll around the Kasbah (we have a coffee at a roof café opposite the mosque on the rue de la Kasbah and watched a few storks
Tonic spa treatment Les Bains de Marrakech
Leave and stroll to Kosybar – margaritas and stork watching
Amble up rue Riad Zitoun Kedim (up-cycle alley to you and me)
Street food at #1 to remove any guilt from the club sandwich / cobb salad earlier
HEAVEN.
PS – if you’ve buying real saffron (strands) don’t get taken to the nearest place and pay 100dh/gram – 40dh/gram will buy good stuff and 20dh/gram is the cheapest you’ll get.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went here last week for our one year anniversary based on the reviews on here. We had the formule day spa, which took a few hours. We had a really good time but a few things let it done for us. I emailed the company before asking if we need to undress at anytime during the spa they strongly said no. We started the treatments and before I knew she had ripped my costume down and was scrubbing me with another woman watching. Luckily I laughed it off as had an idea from reviews here that I would go topless but thought things would be explained before doing it. Then I needed to shower the clay off and again before I knew it she was rubbing me down very very quickly and at this point she had taken my bottoms off and rubbing my down everywhere!this I didn't like at all. We had an oriental bath which I recommend as it was pure luxury, it was very hot and at some points I had to sit on the edge of the bath but it was absolutely brilliant. The we would goth a room to wait for our next treatment which was nice . Our massage and facial was really good too, probably the best I've had. But the two massage therapists kept giggling and whispering to one another which made us feel uncomfortable. The tea and biscuits they bought round were lovely. The lady I had was called shama, she must have told us about thirty times. ( she was the the lady who gave us the shower) after our facial which was our last treatment, I asked if we could sit by the pool and have a look, I also said piscine aswell as swimming pool just so she understood us, she ignored us and took us to our changing rooms where before knew it we were outside. It is very rushed and it s like a maze in there but the decor is absolutely stunning, very relaxing bar the things I said I just wished we could of sat by the pool rather than being escorted out. We paid over £200for it too and it was a very special day,