“A wonderful four hours of relaxation and calm”

Les Bains de Marrakech
Ranked #8 of 104 Spas & Wellness in Marrakech
Anglesey, United Kingdom
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“A wonderful four hours of relaxation and calm”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My friend and I booked on line about three weeks before our holiday which was straight forward and at each stage we received a confirmation email. So we had our spa booked for mid way through our week in Marrakech.

The cost each was 850 Dirham. For this we steamed first with various scrubs, then had a warm rose petal bath finishing with a massage. Starting at 10:40 and leaving the spa at 15:10.

From the moment we entered everyone was pleasant and friendly. The lighting is subdued with relaxing ambient music playing at a low level. They have very good lockers so your belongings are safe and dry with the spa providing the footwear and dressing gowns for you to use. Between each treatment we were given water and freshly squeezed orange juice and then left to relax for a time on wonderful couches in small side rooms before moving on to our next treatment.

I was so relaxed by the time our massage started I fell asleep on the table and (much to my friends amusement) started to snore.

I am happy that what we paid was a very fair price for the treatment we received and you can put together your own day by the combination of various treatments you pick from the website.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank GemAlfie

Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A disappointing treat”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Les Bains de Marrakech could be wonderful, but it isn't. The hamman looks sumptuous, but the personal touch is lacking. The changing room feels like it's in the middle of a corridor and despite one of my friends speaking fluent french, no one explained to us where the toilets were, where the towels and showers were and what to expect during our hamman and massage. The hamman treatment verged on unnerving with women entering and leaving our steam room with no explanation of what would follow. There were sharply delivered commands to 'turn over', 'sit up' and 'lie down' and we were left to steam without any idea of how long this would last or even what to do if we wanted to get out. For the massage we were offered either a relaxing or draining treatment. Although my french speaking friend asked specific questoins about the relative pressure applied in the different versions, she got no more information than they were different techniques. We decided on a draining massage and were all disappointed by the lack of pressure. We left feeling that the women working in the hamman were undervalued by the management who were running a spa sausage factory. Although this hamman was cheaper than other up market ones, I strongly advise you to look around for something else.

1 Thank oxomum
London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Beautiful hammam but bit of a conveyor belt”
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Lovely surroundings and the basic hammam experience with black soap scrub was good. However I did feel that it was a bit of a conveyor belt and, as one of the other reviewers says, that I was rushed out at the end. This is summarised by the sumptuous surroundings on entry, but the plain corridor and basic door leading to a side passage on exit. I would go back, but I'd also try some of the less 'hyped' hammams too.

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Lovely surroundings but treatments could be better”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I've just returned from Marrakech where I spent two of my five days at two very different hammams, one being the much rated 'Les Bains de Marrakech', the other was 'Medina Spa'. I am a massage therapist to trade so I was interested to discover the Marrakech approach.
Les Bains de Marrakech is truly a beautiful place to spend an afternoon and the treatments were good- I had a 45min traditional Moroccan hammam followed by an hours relaxing massage. The treatments were good but are not worth the expense compared to the same set of treatments at the less luxurious/ much less expensive ( but still very clean & pretty )Medina Spa in the heart of the Souk. The difference being the quality of the massage experience and attitude of the hammam girls. It was made very obvious at the end of my massage at Les Bains that my time was up and I wouldn't consider it professional to be making the bed up for the next client while I was still in the room! Neither is it professional for another therapist to enter the room to whisper to her colleague mid massage. The hammam girls at Les Bains were less than gentle let's say and I was starting to become apprehensive each time they entered the room. Medina Spa had none of these shortcomings and the quality of the massage significantly better. Regardless that the Medina Spa was less than half the price of Les Bains, I would definitely choose it over Les Bains time after time.

1 Thank Catherine M
Edinburgh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not as expected”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Beautiful decor and elegant surroundings but the hamman we booked was rushed (about a minute of actual scrubbing for an hour in the place!) and very disappointing.