“Beautiful hammam but bit of a conveyor belt”

Les Bains de Marrakech
Ranked #10 of 131 Spas & Wellness in Marrakech
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Lovely surroundings and the basic hammam experience with black soap scrub was good. However I did feel that it was a bit of a conveyor belt and, as one of the other reviewers says, that I was rushed out at the end. This is summarised by the sumptuous surroundings on entry, but the plain corridor and basic door leading to a side passage on exit. I would go back, but I'd also try some of the less 'hyped' hammams too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,772)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"treatment rooms"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I've just returned from Marrakech where I spent two of my five days at two very different hammams, one being the much rated 'Les Bains de Marrakech', the other was 'Medina Spa'. I am a massage therapist to trade so I was interested to discover the Marrakech approach.
Les Bains de Marrakech is truly a beautiful place to spend an afternoon and the treatments were good- I had a 45min traditional Moroccan hammam followed by an hours relaxing massage. The treatments were good but are not worth the expense compared to the same set of treatments at the less luxurious/ much less expensive ( but still very clean & pretty )Medina Spa in the heart of the Souk. The difference being the quality of the massage experience and attitude of the hammam girls. It was made very obvious at the end of my massage at Les Bains that my time was up and I wouldn't consider it professional to be making the bed up for the next client while I was still in the room! Neither is it professional for another therapist to enter the room to whisper to her colleague mid massage. The hammam girls at Les Bains were less than gentle let's say and I was starting to become apprehensive each time they entered the room. Medina Spa had none of these shortcomings and the quality of the massage significantly better. Regardless that the Medina Spa was less than half the price of Les Bains, I would definitely choose it over Les Bains time after time.

1  Thank Catherine M
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Beautiful decor and elegant surroundings but the hamman we booked was rushed (about a minute of actual scrubbing for an hour in the place!) and very disappointing.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was a great experience - perhaps not for the shy!
The staff greeting you are very helpful and explain the procedures, you are given a robe and shoes then taken to a room where you lay on days beds around a fountain and have a glass of mint tea. Then you are taken to a hamman, where, if you are not wearing bikini bottoms you are relieved of your swimsuit, washed down with lukewarm water then left to steam, you are then exfoliated and daubed (head to foot) in a clay mask, and again left to steam. After being washed off you rest, then you have a great massage and more mint tea. You leave feeling relaxed, clean and invigorated. It is wonderful.