“An unforgettable experience”

Les Bains de Marrakech
Ranked #10 of 131 Spas & Wellness in Marrakech
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We didn't book ourselves but arrived to a friendly reception area and didn't have to wait long to be taken through to the changing rooms. The decor is absolutely beautiful and you instantly feel relaxed before any treatments have begun.

We were escorted in our robes to an outdoor pool area and were given fresh melon juice. The one negative was were were left here for a very long time (approx 35 mins) and we did get a little fed up.

Eventually we had our hammam which was out of this world. The ladies really do "look after you". Following we were given mint tea and water and chilled for 10 mins before being taken for a massage - which was great. Afterwards we were taken to a chill out room and given more mint tea and biscuits.

It's a shame but the place doesn't let you take pictures -so you have to take my word for how beautiful it is!

Wouldn't hesitate to return and wish we had a hammam closer to home!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,772)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"treatment rooms"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Les bains is supposed to be to the top spa/hammam in Marrakech. We visited in December 2012, the week after Christmas.

I made a reservation two weeks in advance and paid a deposit by Paypal. I requested a 5pm slot for 2 people for an hour and a half. AFTER we paid, I was given a 5.30pm slot.

We already had a dinner reservation at 8pm at La Mamounia, so I asked them to move our slot to any time earlier, but they refused, telling us they were extremely full that week.

We arrived at 5pm on the day and were told to take a seat at the reception. We were one of several people waiting. We watched as several people walked in and received slots on the spot (so much for extremely full!!).

We were still unsure on what the process was supposed to be and none of the staff bothered to explain anything to us. After about 20 minutes I got up to ask the reception what we were supposed to do and they told us "Just wait, your hostess will come get you"

At about 5.40pm the hostess came to get us to lead us into the separate locker rooms. We were given robes to change into and led to our private hammam room. The hammam session we requested was for 1 hour. It was basically about 2 minutes of the attendant pouring hot water on us, followed by a 10 minute wait, then a 5 minute scrub, followed by application of a body mask, then another 15 minute wait, and then they let you take a shower.

Again, the attendants and hostess did not bother to explain anything to us, so most of the time we were wondering what was supposed to happen. The hammam was not warm enough to qualify as a sauna, so felt more like a mildly warm waiting room for something to happen.

After the shower we were led to a lounge and served tea. After about 15 minutes, I got up to check what was going on next, since we had booked a massage as well. The hostess told us to wait, and then 15 minutes later we were led out.

To separate massage rooms, while we had requested a joint room. But we just did not have the energy to complain and request a joint room. The massage was with oil, and the masseuse did not respond to requests for more pressure. The massage was mediocre.

Finally we were led out, and it was already 7.40pm, meaning we had to rush to shower and go to our dinner. Astoundingly, a large group of people had finished together, so both the dressing rooms were chockablock full. Literally, we had to fight our way to our lockers, and stand in line to get to the showers.

The lockers here lock themselves shut as soon as the door is closed, and I found myself locked out as soon as I turned to get a towel, because sure enough with the number of people in the locker room, someone with the locker next to me closed my door, so that they could open their.

A request to the staff to open the locker door went unheeded until we made a fuss and the manager came to open the door.
We made it out the door at 8.30pm and had to call ahead to our restaurant to make sure they could still take us.

All in all, not a great experience. The funny thing is, that very likely Les Bains is probably the best non-riad hammam in Morocco. They obviously put a lot of effort into the decor as opposed to the dank damp bathouses that you see when you pass on the street.

Having said that, I think spas in Morocco in general have a great deal of catching up to do before they can approach the service level of spas in Asia. After having been to the Les Bains, I understand why the Angsana Riad in Marrakech chose to bring in staff from Thailand rather than train locally. The difference in service quality is vast, so it will be awhile before locally trained staff can approach global standards.

The Asian standard is based on American service training, so they are much more systematic. First chat with the customer, explain in full what is going to happen and how long it is going to take. Next, never overbook the facilities. You're selling an experience, not trying to get maximum utilization of the facilities. If the experience is unsatisfactory, you destroy the brand image. And the brand image is what allows you to sell hot water and soap at 50 bucks an hour.

4  Thank vanderghast79
kad1966, Directeur général at Les Bains de Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

For your information our spa respects the time of treatment of every customer.
Between the 24th décembre and the 31st december we had a lot of request so it’s normal to, see in the reception a lot of people how come to book or to confirm
For your treatment we respected all the protocol which you chose & confirm before by e-mail
« we ask you to come at 17 :15pm to start the treatment at 17 :30pm »
For the massage you chose the relaxing one and not the tonic.
your wife lost her key and that took a time to solve the problem because just the manager who has the pass can open the looker .
the manager

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was recommended by the manager of our Riad who 'phoned and booked. Being bit gosh and brit about these things I wasn't sure what to expect and was worried I might be covered in mud, thrashed with eucalyptus branches and offered an assisted shower. This place was wonderful. My wife and I had a sauna with some sort of rub down for an hour and a "relaxing" (as opposed to some other type) of massage. All of this was interspersed with time to relax, drink mint tea, sit by the pool etc. Really wonderful. It cost about £40 each - a snip for what we had, in my view. We had a rude awakening after the 4 hours were up and we went back down the unprepossessing alley back into the reality of the dusty, noisy, raucous city centre. We nearly turned and went back in. We'd certainly have gone again the next day had we not been flying home. Ho hum. Highly recommended.

1  Thank 63JPS
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had a reservation via internet. We arrived in time and we started the the program in time. The staff is very fiendly and principally are women. My wife and me had a reservation for a bath of 25 mintues and a realxing massage of 1 hour in a privat room, it means that you can be alone with your partner. The bath was wonderful, full of roses, oiles and just the good temperature. It was in fact 30 minutes and then we had a short rest with orange juice and some sweeties. Then we had the massage, very professional and reamarkable. It took 50-5 minutes, with several steps. Then we had again a short rest with orange juice and cookies. If you will have a massage with argain oil including your head (and hair) after wash your hair. I didn't do that, so my hair just became a bit "black and smokey", I think it was the argain. It is not the cheapest bath in Marrakech, but the the service and the venue worth the money that you pay. "A kind of must."