“Shoddy maintenance, ants and dripping air conditioning made for a very poor visit.”
Review of Riad Chorfa

Riad Chorfa
Ranked #247 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Of the 3 riads I visited in Morocco, this was by far the worst. First off, I enjoy the refurbishing and attention to decorating of the good riads, and Riad Chorfa seemed to be refurbished quick and cheap - a definite cut below in terms of the decorative details. Others have done this MUCH better, but Chorfa just seemed tacky and chinzty in its decoration. No biggy, but.... the rest was perhaps just my bad luck: first room, the air conditioning didn't work. Second room, the floor was literally covered and crawling with ants. Third room, the air condition began raining water down right above the bed around midnight, such that I was afraid to use it the rest of the night. Hot and miserable, and there was not even a simple fan available as replacement. Next morning, their pre-arranged, pre-paid and overpriced (15 Euros) ride to the airport never showed up. So I paid extra for another taxi, available anyway right out on the main drag. I mentioned this problem in a followup email to the host. She had been very responsive pre-visit, but now that I am gone forever, not a peep from her. I hope she donates that 15 Euros to someone needy!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank TomB052

Reviewed August 6, 2010

Hello,
I travel several times a year to Marrakech, I tried alot of Riads and hotels, and I always come to the conclusion that it is the best place to stay for your money
The rooms are very big and very nice and I don't know about other travelers but when you want your towels to be changed, the rules in hotels is, put them on the ground so the staff knows you need a new one !
You may ask everything at the staff, nothing is to much ! II always stay for a long period so I know what I'm talking about. I read in comments that people are not happy to hear the prayers at 5am, if you cannot stand that,dont go to Morocco !
Big hugs for the whole staff and the owner ! Erika from Brugge, Belgium !

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank erikadebruyne
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Location is great (in medina/market area) - if you are good with reading maps or have a sense of direction, otherwise you may not find your way back to the riad through the winding alleyways. It is also directly next to a mosque, so for light sleepers bring ear plugs for the 5 AM call to prayers over the loud speakers.
The building is historical and pretty, also clean. Unfortunately the mattresses, bedspreads, and cushions throughout the riad date back as old as the building itself and made a dirty impression. If I hadn't already paid (way too much) for this riad through my travel agent (Marocco online in the Netherlands), we would have left after seeing the rooms because of this.
Upon arrival we were parked in the cozy sitting area for drinks, and then had to ask after 30 minutes to see the rooms. It was a bit of an awkward and strange 'welcome'. The English speaking manager is only available in the afternoon (who was very helpful and friendly) but we arrived in the morning. We had booked two single beds and they first gave us a room with a double (and sagging mattress), then a very small room. Finally after insisting on seeing another room, we were given one that was more spacious with twin beds but not a private WC.
There was a computer with free internet, but not all the keys on the keyboard were working so I gave up after 10 minutes of trying to copy and paste letters just to enter my name and password to my email account.
Also note that it is in the medina, so taxis cannot get you there. You have to walk about 10 minutes with your luggage (or pay someone to do this for you) through winding streets/alleyways.
If you pay the price on their website - Euro 70-80 for the room with two people total, then I think that is reasonable for the location, and a simple breakfast is included. Seeing that we paid almost twice that, we were seriously disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Riad Chorfa is a beautiful place with great staff. It s located in the very center of the vivid old city, at the same time it offers feeling of charm, good atmosphere and peacefulness. The menth tea on the roof terrace with stars and moon is unforgetable! Staff at the riad is helfpull and kind, no extra demand is a problem. Food is excellent. The memories of our stay there are great and we warmly recomend it. Irena and Andrej

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 10, 2008

Well, I just read the other reviews and maybe I've got good news!
We just came back from our trip yesterday and had a very good stay in the Riad. The Riad had a change of management. Jean-Marie, a young frenchman, is trying to upgrade the place and is doing a good job. He is been busy since 40 days and has done al lot to make us feel welcome. The staff is very friendly but more or less shy. The breakfast on the roof was great: every day we had a little change in the menu. When we arrived we could only order little snacks during the day, but on our last day we saw that they had introduced a menu with complete dinners.
I hope that Jean Marie stays on and makes this Riad even more worthwhile. Hope that the prices stay the same to make it even more worthwhile.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We spent our first two nights in Marrakech in this riad. It was the cheapest riad of the four other riads we stayed in during our week long trip. Considering the price of a room is fairly low you shouldn't expect luxury, the riad is reasonably basic compared to others but extremely charming and pretty. The staff were very helpful and friendly and were available in the riad all day long to make food. The room we had was on the ground floor, spacious, very clean with a large bathroom. I would recommend staying here if on a low/medium budget. This is not somewhere I would go if on a romantic trip away.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank abigailcb4
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Stayed here in 2006 & had a great time. However it's gone completely downhill since then - surly, unhelpful staff; serious mix-up with our reservations - we'd booked superior rooms & were put into unfinished rooms above their garage - no loo, filthy dirty, hair plugging up the washbasin & shower etc.

We were told on the evening of our last night that the credit card machine was broken & they'd only accept cash. When I said I had no access to cash so it was the credit card or I'd send payment from UK, the machine was magically working again. The staff were lazy, did not care about their guests & totally disorganised - no management whatsoever - and very expensive for what it offered. I don't recommend it any longer.

Stayed: April 2007