“unforgetable days” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Stuttgart
“unforgetable days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

the riad is beautiful, the rooms are furnished in a very tasteful wa, the staff is as nice as someone could be, the service is excellent, the kitchen is remarkable.
no more absolutes, but we have to recommend the riad karmela.
they deserve it simply.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Booked the hotel after reading excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, and we weren't disappointed. The hotel is gorgeous, the roof terraces amazing, the staff are friendly and helpful and dinner was very tasty. It really was an oasis of calm in crazy Marrakech, especially for a quiet cold beer or glass of wine at the end of an intense day in the souk. If you're looking for a good value, relaxing Moroccan experience, stay here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Fabulous short break, great communication by email prior to arrival. Met at airport (essentail or you'll waste time and money trying to find Riad) by friendly guys who insisted on carrying our bags, telling us just to enjoy being looked after. Great location, walked everywhere. Excellent advice from Joel. Bouchra and all the friendly staff, maps given, tips on where to eat, how to use taxis etc. Beautiful room in relaxing surroundings, with roof terrace, towels, sunhats and sunbeds supplied. Lots of relaxing areas in Riads with board games, books etc to accompany mint tea! PC and free internet access which was useful as we downloaded our photos each day on to memory stick so we could take lots more.
Have already recommended to friends, and we can't wait to come again now there are flights from local airport.
J and J

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

We stayed in the Riad Karmela at the very end of our trip in Morocco. Although we had experienced a number of beautiful riads by then, we were still very impressed by the beauty of this one. We were warmly greeted by one of the Moroccan staff (I specify because the place is owned by a couple of French guys) who sat down with us over tea and pastries and gave us an orientation of the place and its surrounding medina. So far, so great.

Then we got to our beautiful rooms which we oo'd and aah'd over, despite the dust bunnies all over the floor. The trouble started when I went into the bathroom and saw sitting on a big fluffy towel hanging directly across from me a very dead but very real bedbug. Working in public health and knowing that there's a worldwide epidemic of these incredibly difficult-to-get-rid-of creatures across hotels and homes, it wasn't the bedbug that bothered me (we always take precautions with our luggage no matter how fancy the hotel to make sure we don't take an uninvited guest home). What really bothered me was when I went down to the front desk and had a low-voiced conversation with one of the French owners who looked at me blankly and told me he had never heard of such a thing at his hotel. Not wanting to get into an argument and just wanting them to get rid of the bedbug and be alerted to the fact that they might have a hotel-wide issue on their hands, I didn't push it, since the staff came in and collected the towels and reportedly, cleaned our bathroom (I'm not sure why) while we were away.

That was the last time the French owner (who I'd see in the lobby throughout the length of our stay) acknowledged it or my presence. After a week in Morocco where it was the warmth of the people that really stood out, this was a cold surprise. This chilliness characterised this riad - with an indifference towards their guests from the owners that, while to be expected in a large chain hotel, was surprising in a riad in Morocco and especially after there having been an issue with one of its clients. There was zero attempts to either make amends or even ask if we were okay/if there had been any problems. One of the people traveling with me asked for water during the buffet breakfast the next morning and the response from the staff was that the water was "over"! Brunch was on for another half hour.

There are hundreds of beautiful places to stay (both more and less fancy than this one) in Morocco in general and in Marrakech in particular. This was one of many options and it left a sour taste in our mouths with its attitude and indifference.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank emdiar
riadElNour, owner at Riad Karmela, responded to this review, April 1, 2010
Hello, I am absolutly sorry about the feelings and impression I have left you. I was very surprised about the dead bedbug you found in the towel as it never happened before .We have had some situation with some other insect/pets but no bedbug and this is what I explained you. As mentionned to you we did by precaution replaced all towels wich for me was a minimum precaution to do and we also had a thourough inspection in the full appartment. We found nothing and even since your departure nothing was reported. The one you found was probably coming from our external laundry supplier. Working in America as a health Officer, I understand your concern. I did ask you if you were ok when you reported the incident and you clearly said that it was fine and hat you ONLY wanted to report it. I did talk to your father several times and he really expressed a true happiness and great satisfaction with his stay and the riad on two occasions so i am very sorry if I did not had the opportunity to talk to you personnaly before you left. I did not also want to bother you with the incident as everyhing seemed to be ok when talking to your father. Regarding the breakfast incident, you are right. This is poor service and i talked to he breakfast staff to make sure that it does not happen again. I am very sorry about your feelings and disappointed as well as I missed your departure where i could have had the opportunity to discuss your frustration before departing Best regards Joel
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Me & my partner stayed here for a week in Feb. The Riad was stunning! It was like stepping into utter tranquility after a long hectic day around the crazy souks of Marrakech.

Great food, amazing service, great location. Highly recommended.

Shoreham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

Riad Karmela is a delightful and charming Riad. It makes an idyllic retreat from bustling city of Marrakesh. The shared spaces are well decorated with Morrocan inspired decor, divided to give a feeling of intimacy with a number of small open fires adding to the charm . Our lovely room was one of the rooms pictured on the website and it looked over the original central court yard. This time of year the center of the Riad was quiet but I did wonder whether it might be more noisy in high season. We tried the massage and Hamam. This was a very relaxing experience but being washed by a a lad in his twenties, wearing only short , was a rather unexpected and bizarre experience. My husband seemed more at ease with it. The food was genuinely really good and it's worth booking dinner for a least your first night. Joel is an excellent host who advised us well on the do's and don't of the city and where to eat. We both really loved it!!

london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

Agreed with other reviews re some of the good points e.g., welcome was v good as was decor of the riad and the food was very good, even for vegetarians. However my stay was spoiled by the following:

1) The Female wating staff at breakfast time were very rude and aggressively grumpy when we wanted to sit at a different table!!! terrible hospitality skills, I was really angry about this considering how much we'd paid to stay at this riad.

2) Towels were not changed over our 3 night stay.

Little things do matter and these are actually pretty important factors. Because of these disappointments I would never go back there or recommend this riad. Time they worked on being nicer to all their clients not just a select few who they think will spend more money on extras.

However Marrakech was cool as was the Majorelle gardens and the state handicraft shop for some excellent shopping!!

• 3 of 5 stars
Espelette, owner at Riad Karmela, responded to this review, March 1, 2010
I am very surprised with your comments as I though that despite your incident on that morning with our staff members, you had a better feeling about your stay. The staff explained you that the table you wanted to sit was set up for a family of 3 and you did not believe them. It is true that when you got very upset and angry with the staff, only the parents were sitted but you must have seen the daughter few minutes later. You did even ask the parents if the had a daughter so I assumed they said yes.. On that morning there were a choice of 5 tables for 2 so it may creates some confusion if tables lay out are followed as other guests then have to wait for a proper table set up. This is our FIRST bad comment over 3 years about our morning breakfast staff which surprises me. Regarding the towels it is common practise in all global hotels brands, for environmental purpose, NOT to replace the linen unless been found on the floor or dirty or very wet. It is true that we do not replace bed linen neigher bathroom linen on a daily basis. In your case we did it on a dayli basis as they were some daily "make up" stains, and you did put the towels on the floor so they were replaced !!!! I am therefore dispointed that you overall stay was not up to what you expected and feel sorry if the staff were not friendly enough with you but they were just asking you kindly to use one of the other tables . Best regards Joel