“Absolutely fantastic place - A must visit!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Karmela

Riad Karmela
Ranked #50 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
“Absolutely fantastic place - A must visit!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

My Partner & I are both avid users of Trip Advisor, we will use others experiences and feedback for booking holidays, trips or reviewing places to eat etc. If I am honest I have never returned the favour by posting a review myself.

However, I recently travelled to Marrakech (for the second time) but unlike our first trip (a week away in a Hotel) we wanted to experience all Morroco/Marrakech had to offer. It was on other people 'recommendations' that we stumbled across Riad Karmela... I feel compeled to right a review (although to be honest I don't think my words will do it justice - you would need to go and experience it for yourself).

We booked our holiday through an independent company who supplied us with an e-mail address for the owner Joel, We mailed back and forth a number of times before we arrived. Joel was very keen on ensuring that he & his staff had our requirements met before we arrived.

From the moment we landed we experienced great service, we pre-booked a taxi through the Riad from feedback on here in regards to other taxis having problems (I'd advise you do the same)Kamal is the Riad's on-site driver. Our flight was delayed by two hours, we were panicking, wondering if our transfer would be there so it was a relief to see Kamal waiting with a smile to greet us.

Upon arriving at the Riad we are given mint tea and some fresh baked goods. We were seated in the terrace area whilst our bags were taken to our room. Said (the evening manager) then gave us a really informative introduction to Marrakech, the Medina and how things work - this instantly put us at ease (again very smiley - it must be something in the mint tea)

All of the staff at Riad Karmela are friendly and welcoming but especially Mustafa (we nicknamed him Smiler) this guy showed a genuine interest in us, how our holiday was going and was very attentive - nothing was too much trouble for him from booking restaurants on our behalf to showing us round etc. The biggest compliment I can give Joel and his team (Bouchra/ Said/Mustafa) is we felt instantly at home and part of a little family.

Joel (The owner) is absolutely fantastic - a real character. I have read a small number of reviews that suggest he can come across abrupt, I assure you this isn't in his nature he is extremely kind and I can only put others feedback down to a language/translation issue... Joel is French but is well spoken in English. Joel is always present at the riad, you'll often see him working away but he also finds time to sit and talk to guests which in my opinion adds a personal touch.

For my partner and I who have travelled to various places this was our favourite. The Riad is presented well with each room offering a different theme. The Riad is actually 3 smaller Riads opened up into one but Joel has done this so each smaller Riad retains it's personallity and privacy...

** top tip** you must explore the Riad, especially the top terraces as this offer 'little hideaways' snug areas so not all is as it seems from first glance, we fround little areas as our days went on - a favourite place of our was on the deckchairs right by the jacuzzi.

Riad Karmela offer a buffet type breakfast which caters for all; cereal (a choice of three), toast, fresh fruit, omlettes, breads, fresh juice, tea & coffee. Snacks are available throughout the day; a choice of sandwiches, salads etc

A big plus is the Riad serves alcohol (priced well) which is a real bonus considering this isn't redibly avaliable elsewhere and you usually find yourself drinking a coke light with your evening meal outside the Riad.

We booked a number of trips through the Riad - all of which were great fun, reasonably priced and travel was in an air conditioned taxi (which is appreciated when it's 40°c)

Hamam & massages - definitely a must - the hamam is amazing and leaves your skin feeling lovely and soft. For the massages you have two types; a relaxation or a stress releaving (slightly harder)

Overall, if you are looking for a place rich in culture with a cross mix of backgrounds and lots of things to do Marrakech is for you and Riad Karmela is definitely the place to stay offering a tranquil safe haven from the madness of the souxs/medina.

Further top tips **when out in the Medina ignore the locals offering assistance (at first this may prove difficult to do as your natural reaction is to say hello back) they will charge for there help - Joel and his team do advise you of this on arrival and are always on hand to help

**Taxis - they will try charge you the earth...agree a price before you get in and don't budge... sometimes it's easier to organise a taxi through the Riad

**if you are buying anything look around first - loads of shops selling similar items but the prices vary dramatically... the seller will always go in with a ridiculous figure... half it and half it again...if not walk away you have the upperhand... plenty more shops you'll find they come after you and agree with your price

**ignore the reviews on the Riad that have been marked down because of holiday makers not liking Marrakech - extremely unfair and unjust as this is people's livelihoods and whether or not someone liked the country they chose to visit shouldn't be reflected in their review of the Riad

Overall, a fantastic experience, we are already planning our return to Marrakech and will be staying at Riad Karmela.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Dannie M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Turkish first
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I spent three days in this Riad together with my family and I can say we had a great time there, from the beggining they explained us different tips for visit the city and some recommendations that we follow, the personal at the reception are exceptional; very good quality/price, if we come back, we will repeat!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank AM2014347
Sandhurst, Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Can't recommend enough. Wonderful location, extremely helpful and friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us and the final bill was extremely reasonable considering we added lots of drinks and taxis to it. The rooms can differ in size so it's worth checking which room you've been booked in, particularly if you're sharing with a friend. I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank FordieC
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Just got back from my 3rd stay at Riad Karmela and I must admit I was a tad apprehensive that it wouldn’t be as wonderful as my previous two experiences. I needn’t have worried though, it was just as fantastic. I travelled with 3 friends none of whom had been to Marrakesh before. We had to wait a little while to get our rooms as there had been a bit of mix up, but we were absolutely fine sunning ourselves on the beautiful roof terrace. We ate in the Riad on our first night and the food was every bit as good as I remembered, especially the dessert! Breakfast was lovely especially the rocket fuel coffee. The staff couldn’t have been more helpful from arranging taxis, guides, booking restaurants and lugging trays of drinks up to the roof terrace for us. I would highly recommend a day at the Beldi Country Club. The rooms are all very different and wonderfully Moroccan. Check out was not the usual stressful nightmare as we were allowed to keep our rooms until we left which meant we could shower and pack just before we left to travel home. It is little things like this that make the Riad such a lovely place to stay and differentiates them from the big chain hotels. I am hoping I will be back for my 4th stay very soon. Thank you to everyone at Riad Karmela, keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank Lesa03
Sandhurst, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Riad Karmela with three friends last week, one of which had visited twice before. It was everything and more that my friend had said. Lots of lovely quiet places to sit, the roof terrace is beautiful and the staff cannot do enough for you. From organising restaurant bookings, taxis and someone to take us on foot to nearby restaurant.
Thank you to all the staff at the Raid Karmela for a wonderful stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank clairb14
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

As a group of females who have just returned from a 3 night break, we cannot recommend this beautiful Riad enough. We were made to feel welcome from the moment we walked through the door, with mint tea offered alongside local tips and knowledge. We stayed in an apartment which was nicely decorated in the traditional style, inc a hair dryer and basic toiletries. We spent much time on the wonderful room terrace, and in the jacuzzi, which was a welcome relief to sit in the cooling bubbly water after a long day in the Souks. Dinner was also a treat, with a set menu which included a lovely tagine and both the local white and rose wine were enjoyable in the sunshine. As a group of young women, we were also offered a guide to walk us to local restaurants of an evening, which they had phoned ahead to book us a table at.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank hambles04
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The Riad Karmela is an oasis in the centre of Marrakech, a welcome retreat in a bustling city. They will arrange for you to be met at the airport and driven into Marrakech, be aware that as you get within the walled elements the roads are cobbled and narrow so you won’t get a door to door service and will need to walk a couple of hundred yards, accompanied by the driver/guide (a few minutes) through the alleys to reach the Riad, don’t be put off the approach its well worth it!

The staff at the Riad cannot do enough for you, from booking trips, talking you through options around the city, highlighting points on the map they provide, to booking restaurants, giving you a guide/escort to restaurants or booking taxis as and when required. Our experience was that on the day you exit provided you are departing by lunchtime/early afternoon they are happy to let you keep your room making packing, showering and changing before travelling home as pleasant as possible. That said you may experience delays accessing your room on arrival, but this shouldn’t be seen as a negative. Keep your swim gear or cooler cloths at the top of your case or your hand luggage and enjoy a walk around the city, or as we did, retire to the beautiful sun terrace and enjoy a snooze, read or dip in the plunge pool while you wait!

I’ve travelled in Africa before but never North Africa so wasn’t sure what to expect, this was clean, loved and welcoming.

Room Tip: Talk to the Riad when you're booking and be sepcific about what you want, no two rooms are the s...