“A dream come true”

Ranked #48 of 495 Hotels in Marrakech
Bergen, Norway
“A dream come true”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

A dream come true - one week in Marrakech with shopping and spa. Two friends who wanted
a eksotic atmosphere for the shopping and spa, and what a "pearl" we found in Riad Karmela....
the charm and beaty in the patios, the different terraces on the roof, the nice atmosphere and the good breafast in the patio, and in the evenings very good dinner/wine - we did not bother to walk out after darkness to find a place to eat, as we soon found the best place was in Riad Karmela.
Then I just have to mention
the service and help we got there - it was simply fantastic! - so we will come back.

Nina and Randi

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nina B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights with a friend for a visit to trek in the Atlas Mountains. Overall we thought the Riad was an excellent place to stay, though it is at the higher end of the price range for Riads (read on to find out why). Below are some key points to help you.

Pros:
* Really friendly staff - wonderful welcome from Joel and all staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay
* Pick up service from the airport for approx 7 euros per person - hassle free arrival
* Great location - walking distance of the souk, main square and other treats like Place des Epices where you can sit and snack, watching the world go by
* Interior design is superb - clean, comfortable, lovely place to hang out
* Breakfast is excellent - good range of options, fresh and good quality
* Quality of rooms is good - showers are fantastic (especially after a 2 day trek without proper washing!!)
* At night it's quiet and peaceful - quite amazing given how vibrant the souk is.
* You can organise tours and services like massages direct from the Riad - great if you want convenience.

Cons:
* It's at the high end of the price range for Riads due the quality, so if you're budget travelling this is not the best option (expect to pay 100 Euros or more for a room)
* We were disappointed by the evening meal - 25 euros per person for soup, basic tagine (chicken + potato) + dessert - we felt it was over-priced, even though the restaurant area is lovely
* Wine was expensive (16 euros for a bottle) but given this is a Muslim country where alcohol is not widely available, that's inevitable.
* Near a mosque so the morning azan can wake you up - however, it's very hard to find anywhere central that isn't near a mosque, something you need to accept when visiting a Muslim country, so that's not a criticism of the Riad (and at night time, the sound is wonderful as you relax on the rooftop terrace watching the sun set).

Would I stay here again? Yes. Why - I value friendly, helpful people and really enjoyed my stay. Whilst I think the rooms are a little bit pricey, I can't fault the quality of service and how relaxed and welcome everyone made me feel and knowing you'll get a peaceful night's sleep is important.

Thanks, James

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the roof terrace for the ultimate in privacy and quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hilversum, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this Riad for 3 nights. First one night in Riad El Nour which belongs to the same owners, and thereafter in the Riad Karmela itself. We received a warm welcome which was very pleasant after our journey. We have sweet memories of the relaxed atmosphere, the friendliness and humour of the staff (never thought I was going to eat snake afterall!), the suites where we stayed in, the lovely terrace, the explanation of the area, the Hamam (which can be booked and is based at the Riad itself which makes it so convenient) and especially...the tortoises walking around freely. We had a great time and we would recommend it to anyone wishing to visit Marrakech and desiring to stay in a beautiful relaxing Riad.

Room Tip: We enjoyed both the suite in Riad El Nour (the smaller Riad) and the suite in the Riad Karmela. The...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at Riad Karmela for 4 nights at the end of October having read about it in an article in The Daily Telegraph at the start of the year. Having never been to Marrakech before, we were surprised by how chaotic it was in the streets and admit to having been a bit concerned when we were led down a scruffy looking narrow street to Riad Karmela. However, having gone through the door into the Riad was something akin to Alice in Wonderland - we couldn't believe it when we stepped inside as it could not have been more different to the world outside! It was total peace, tranquility and calm which was a welcome relief to say the least! The rooms were beautiful and Bouchra spent time talking to us about gettng around, where to eat/where not to eat and just generally giving us very useful advice.
The breakfasts were lovely and we ate at the Riad 3 times, all of which were very good. I had a full body massage which was the best massage I think I've ever had, just fantastic!
We would definitely return and would recommend Riad Karmela to anyone.

Warfhuizen, NL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

My mother (78) and I stayed in this very authentical Marrocan Riad for 16 days. We loved the place for its marvelous space, the architecture and interior and the very nice staff. Our room was great, the bathroom splendid and in the Riad (existing of 3 Riads together) are about 30 places to sit, on the roofterrace, downstairs in the houses and outside in the lovely patio's. It's a place you can get lost the first day, although there are only 19 rooms! There were always very quiet spots to spend some time together with my mother when we came 'home' from a visit in chaotic but lovely Marrakesh. When we arrived, a taxi from the Riad took us to a square in the neighborhood of the Riad. The last part we had to walk, because you can't drive the narrow streats. And that makes it very special, you are in the centre of the medina with its crowded and narrow streets. Many places you want to visit are in the neaghborhood. Even my mother could walk to the Place Jemaa el-Fna, the Medrassa Ben Youssef, the Marrakesh museum, the Palaces, the Souk, the Kasbah, the Maison de la Photographie et cetera. The staff was always very kind and helpfull. Special thanks to Joël, the owner who made this Riad a fairytale and our trip an experience to remember! We shall recommend the Riad to everyone who want to visit Marrakesh!

1 Thank Brigitte C
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of a tour of the coast. Our driver called them and made arrangements to find the place, a porter then took our bags the remaining few hundred metres. We were warmly welcomed and immediately transported into an oasis of calm.

We had booked a suite; initially the room we were given, was in our opinion, a nice room, but not a suite. We relayed this to the hotel and they immediately moved us to a suite and committed to giving us the suite we really wanted the following morning. That suite was beautiful and what we had been expecting.

Staff were exceptionally friendly from moving bags to drying some clothes for me to always having tea on hand. The big advantage of here that we could see was that it is somewhat bigger than most riads. We were only two people and liked the idea of staying in a place with more than only 3/4 other rooms.

Breakfast was a selection of breads, pastries, omelettes, tea/coffee, yoghurt. The rooftop terrace was the highlight of the place, amazing views of the city, lots of little balconies and sitting areas. Great place to relax with a drink in the evening. We didn't eat there as preferred to go out.

It is difficult to find, but if you remember the vegetable market as a landmark you can't go wrong. We didn't get lost once.

The one thing I didn't like about Karmela was the door situation. I appreciate there is an element of feeling at home etc, but I would have a strong preference to lock my room. Not only that, but the sliding locks on both sides of the doors meant on one occasion I got locked out of our room and had to wait 10 mins until my friend got out of the shower and heard me. Another time I got locked INTO the room for 30 mins when my friend inadvertently closed the door on the outside. Regular loud banging on the door summoned reception eventually to let me out! Kind of irritating though.

I would stay here again, and have already recommend it to a friend, but if booking again I would simply book a room, not a suite, they are half the price and we saw some lovely rooms which would be better value overall.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Vonsie
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nice room, good introductory lesson to the city; excellent location with 2 different routes to the square. Getting lost is part of the fun. We felt very safe everywhere and persistent hawkers can be made to look elsewhere if you engage in a humorous chat with them; which is so much more pleasant than my experiences in Kenya and Egypt.
The in-house meal we had was disappointing compared with our meals outside at El Bhaja and in the square.
The tortoise house pets are great characters !

1 Thank Charlie L