“Rip-off” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
UK
“Rip-off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

The riad is located in a central, yet not too touristy part of the medina. The walking distance to the main square is approx. 20 min. Our room was not nearly as nice as it is presented on the website, was not entirely clean and generally had a dated feeling (towels were very old and dirty, toilet seat half broken). The breakfast was nothing special (toast, eggs, jam), but the real reason for my negative review is the level of service. We never felt like we were treated like guets as the only motive of the staff was to extract as much money as possible from us. Whenever we asked for advice or assistance (i.e. taxi, restaurant recommendations), we were given ridiculous quotes and we never felt like the staff tried to help us out with local advice (instead they aimed to maximize their proceeds). Given the rich rate we paid for our room, I expect and entirely different level of service.... There are hundreds of Riads in Marrakech and I recommend to anybody planning a trip to seek accomodation elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Didieric, Propriétaire at Riad Houdou, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello
i'm the new owner of riad Houdou and I want to apologize for the bad experience you had 3 years before. As you can read in the new review all has changed here and our guests are very happy. So if you come back in Marrakech, don't hesitate to inform me and I will do a commercial gesture on the price of the room. You will change your mind and keep another feeling of your stay here. Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

We had the noujoum suite for two nights then went exploring to the sahara and returned here for a few more nights at the end of the journey.
It was perfect - a gorgeous oasis away from the main centre so when you walked around outside you felt you were experencing the real Marrakech. I cannot find one negative thing to say about the environment , staff and service!!!
I was ill when we came back form our travels and the staff were concerned that I did not come down for breakfast and offered to get a doctor, and when declined offered to send anything I may request up to the room. Later when my family were out I answered a knock at the door and one of the kitchen staff had brought me a specially made soup to "cure" my upset tummy.
I was extremely touched by their empathy and hospitality.
Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Epsom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We really enjoyed our two night stay. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. The reception was friendly and relaxed. There was also good practical help in getting around the Medina and in dealing with the usual nuisances.
The main lapse was that the arranged collection at the airport did not materialise. This was compounded by the fact that the telephone number quoted in the email exchange to arrange booking was out of date. There was also no hot water on our second night.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

I booked this riad without any reviews to base decision on. From the moment I contacted the host via e mail until the moment my friend and I left Lachen (?spelling) could not have done more for us. We had a tasty hot meal cooked for us on arrival, without pre booking. Breakfasts were great, Lachen booked a wonderful local restaurant (Le Fondouk). He told us how to get to places and told us to ring him if we were lost. I cannot praise the service too highly. My appalling sense of direction would have benefitted from a more obvious location so it seems unfair to mark it down for that. Lachen even wrapped a plate that I had bought to ensure it made it home. I would highly recommend this riad.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
el015e
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights in March, and had a wonderful stay. The Riad is an absolute haven compared to the crazyness of Marrakesh! We were 'helped' by two guides to find the Riad - we would have NEVER have found it otherwise! You should definately call the Riad when you get dropped off as it would be impossible to navigate the narrow streets. After the initial shock of Marrakesh we were soon well aquainted with the souks, Medina and the Jamaa El Fna, and everything was easy to navigate! The breakfasts at the Riad were delicious, and the service and welcome we recieved was fantastic. We had a lovely stay and our host booked a really good spa for us for a Haman - really reccomended! Also, Founduk restaurant is quite expensive but well worth the service, food and surroundings! Having said that the grilled meats and sausages that we had in the square was just as delicious at a fraction of the cost!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Lovely comfortable Riad, Quiet area, Lahcen couldn't have been more helpful, Lovely breakfast and a short walk through the maze of streets to Jemma El Fna.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Mechelen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Riad Houdou is an oasis of calm and warm hospitality amongst the chaotic sensory overload that is Marrakech. We stayed for four nights over the 2008-2009 new year and our butler, Simon, was the host from heaven. The welcome tea and cake on our arrival in the warm living louge was already indication we were to be spoiled for the rest of our stay. No request was too much of a trouble, and the attention to detail in terms of service and decoration were extraordinary. Whether it was a last minute request for dinner on our arrival, or having breakfast at 5:45am (we had an excursion to the High Atlas departing at 7am), our host accomplished all of them with a smile and efficiency. Most rooms had their own private patio or terrace, and everything was decorated beautifully in the fusion style of French and berber. The photos you see on their website www.riadhoudou.com is exactly what you get.

A tip to would-be holidayers is to call the riad on arrival in airport to arrange a pickup. There is no way, I repeat, NO WAY, you can find the riad on your own even if you have visited Marrakesh before. Phone cards are cheap and available from tabacco shops in the airport. Our pickup arrived in 15 minutes, and the transport took us to as far as large vehicles could go, and our butler Simon met us there and led us through the chaotic narrow streets to the riad which was unmarked and was at the end of a very dark alley.

We enjoyed our stay very much, and we tipped Simon well. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Rooms are perhaps not as spacious as I would like
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)