“The hospitality was first class.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Riad O2

Riad O2
Ranked #206 of 495 Hotels in Marrakech
“The hospitality was first class.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We have just returned from a short stay at O2 and we will be recommending it to friends. The team could not have been more hospitable. Moad was particularly attentive and it made our stay so enjoyable. If you are visiting Marrakesh, check into O2 for some pampering!

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ghent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

Great place. Very clean, calm, nice terrace, extremely good service. When we got sick they went above and beyond trying to help us. The only (slight) negatives would be that this is not in the best location to explore Marrakesh or even generally, very rough neighbourhood, and that the jaccuzi did not heat well. However these are only little details, the rest was GREAT!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We actually came during June of 2010 (not Sep 2010 because the setting doesnt go back that far). We stayed here for 3 days and it was such a blast. It was in the old medina so getting around was a bit difficult the first few times, you always need to have the riad staff to pick you up at the drop-off point but trust me, it was easy once you start paying attention (how many left and right turns you need to make, sort of things like that). It did get scary at night because inside the medina there was hardly any light, i couldn't say it was safe because i didnt look so to me, luckily we were a big group so it wasnt too bad. I dont recommend staying here for single or small group travellers though (less than 3 people group)

The riad itself is exactly like what you look in pictures (when we stayed). It's very quiet since there were only about 5 rooms there, maybe because we travelled in June, not yet peak time. We stayed in Suite Oeuf, Room Touem and Room Chewing-gum. The rooms were nice and clean. We felt like we were actually staying in a real Moroccan home. You actually felt like the culture absorbing into you (sounds silly i know but it did feel like that). The only problem we had was with the bathroom. Suite Oeuf doesnt separate the bathroom so its a bit inconvenient, and the drain smelled bad too. The breakfast there was big and yummy. Never tried breakfast on the rooftop but reckon it would be nice to do so.

The big plus i think is the patio (courtyard). It was just lovely sitting there in the shade watching blue sky, drinking mint tea, chit-chatting after exhausted walking, sight-seeing in the heat. The riad was small and because of that it brought you coziness, it brought you a like-home feeling. Isn't it wonderful to travel hundred, thousand miles away from home and yet you still get that comfy feeling of home? That's what I like about Riad O2. Worth every penny of your money spending here at Riad O2.

Hope this review helps. Oh, did i mention the staff was VERY helpful too.

Room Tip: If you're a big group, get Junior 1001 nuits, has its own spacious terrace and quite separate fr...
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

We used Riad o2 as a base whist on a family touring holiday of Morocco. The staff could not have been more friendly and welcoming and the plunge pool was wonderful to climb into after coming from the heat of Marrakech. (Unlike some of the other reviewers we did not find the location of the plunge pool a problem at all!)

The tagines and other Moroccan dishes made by Rachida (although not the cheapest) were the best that we had in our 18 day tour of Morocco.

Although the riad is tucked away in the north of the medina we had absolutely no hassle in the streets around the riad and as we came back to Riad o2 after stays at the coast and the mountains we began to feel like members of the local community! My 9 year old daughter, who had never been out of Europe before and who was apprehensive when we first arrived in Marrakech, soon started to refer to Riad o2 as the 'home hotel' and within a couple of days she was happy to wander the streets at night as well as during the day.

Nevertheless, we did get lost on more than one occasion whilst in the souks and whilst trying to find the Jma el Fnaa. I guess that this is inevitable! For those who want to avoid hassle though it is easy to get from the riad to the nearest point where you can get a taxi.

Either way, I would NOT let the location of the Riad o2 put anyone off staying there.

Room Tip: We stayed at the 1001 Nights room, which was lovely and had a nice seating area outside of the room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
South America
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

1.) The Riad did not pick me up at the airport even though I had scheduled a driver and let the Riad know I was a single, female and a little worried about traveling alone. My flight came in at midnight and I was stranded. When the Riad was finally contacted (via a friendly woman at information at the airport) the driver kept telling me, "It's not our fault." Though it definitely was the Riad's fault, a mistake the owner admitted to me via email after I complained.
2.) The wireless internet was not working for the entirety of my six day stay. Whenever I asked about it, I was assured the internet would be working "in a few hours." It was never fixed.
3.) When my friends and family did not receive an email from me letting them know I was okay, they began to call the Riad asking for me. I didn't receive a majority of these messages.
4.) Though the Riad owner speaks fluent English, she lives in France. The rest of her staff speaks barely any English, though the owner maintains "they understand a lot."
5.) My requests to have the hot tub heated or smoke hookah or order beer were never communicated to the proper person and I was never able to enjoy the hot tub or smoke hookah or enjoy a cold beer.
6.) I could only get into the Riad by ringing the bell and waiting (sometimes 10 minutes, at night) in a dimly lit alley for a staff member to open the door. I was never given a key and one time a man followed me back to the Riad, where I spent a very scary few minutes waiting to be let in.
7.) After all the drama I thought I would treat myself to a Hamman and massage in the Riad's rooftop spa. Somehow it was translated that I only wanted a massage which I found disappointing but unable to translate. The masseuse told me it was too hot in the spa and instead put a towel down on the bed in my room! She cranked up the air conditioning and gave me an awful 23 minute rub-down, spending more time on my breasts than I thought was appropriate in a muslim country. At this point, I didn't even have it in me to complain.

Overall, the staff was kind and courteous, but unable to help me with major problems: i.e. the internet and airport shuttle, and minor ones too, i.e. heating up the jacuzzi. The rooftop garden is very pretty and the kitchen staff is incredibly sweet. After leaving the Riad, I wrote a letter of complaint to the owner, who didn't compensate me for any of her mistakes, and then she wanted to know if I found the bed comfortable. I found the whole thing unacceptable, unsafe, and overpriced. I spent the last few days at the Parker Meridian and though it wasn't as "authentic" I was able to at last smoke a hookah, feel safe, and email my family for about the same price as Riad o2.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank teenis
RiadO2, Owner at Riad O2, responded to this review, September 11, 2011
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our Riad. As you can see from our Trip Advisor's guests reviews, it is most unusual.
I can ensure you that our team is fully dedicated to our customer's comfort and well-being
As regards to specifics and as we mentioned in our correspondence , we could not fix the Wifi as it was a Maroc Telecom issue for a week throughout the whole Sidi ben Slimane quarter.
Our manager, Moad, speaks very good English indeed and all our guests can enjoy our hot jacuzzi pool, our hammam, massages and drinks.
Moad passed on many e-mails and phone messages to you, he walked with you to the square to show you the way, and also helped you to look for your missing phone by going back with you to the airport with our driver.
We thought we had done our best explaining to you all these elements and apologizing, we are once again sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

I had never been to Marrakech before, and wasn't at all prepared for this ABSOLUTE JEWEL of a riad! Each room was decorated in the traditional Morroccan style -and each had its own unique flavor. We stayed in the twin room overlooking the courtyard, and the firm beds were the most comfortable I have slept in! The staff COULD NOT DO ENOUGH for us!!! I have stayed in several five star hotels around the world, and the service at the riad matched or exceeded theirs. The food at the riad was beyond delicious. Breakfast was ready for you each morning (it didn't matter what time you woke up - it was always served with a smile!!) For dinner, we would just say something like, "anything with chicken," and the cook (she really should be called a chef) would make an amazing meal. The food was ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE - and she will show you how to make it in the large kitchen if you ask. I loved, loved, loved this place!!!! And I don't say that often - if ever.

Room Tip: All the rooms were amazing!
  • Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Travel_Girl_Lisa
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

We absolutely loved this little gem of a place...the staff could not have been more helpful or welcoming - it felt like we were staying with a family!

Moad, Sherif, Amina, Rashida and even the owner Marie (and her adorable little girl!) who happened to be there whilst we were, constantly asked if we needed help with getting anywhere, with ideas of where to go and what to do...and the manager Moad didnt get annoyed once at our incessant asking for the Jacuzzi to be heated up again and again (so luxurious and romantic!).

Even the drivers Aziz and Isham were like a part of the big Riad family, with Isham taking us on our Atlas Mountains trip. Really informed and intelligent and with alarmingly good English, Isham made sure our day was one to enjoy despite the torrential rain!

Despite the weather not being the greatest we were still able to have breakfast outdoors every day (served on terrace/ courtyard/ in your room), and the roof terrace was perfect for when the sun did come out!

The Riad is located a short walk away from the hub of the action and despite other travellers saying it could be hard to find- with Moads excellent map lesson, we didnt get lost once! The souks and square are about a ten minute walk from the riad (providing you dont get lost in the maze of the souks (which you will) but soon enough you get your bearings and know what to look out for to make your way back!

Exploring Marrakech is an exotic and exciting treat, and it almost feels like you've gone back in time...more impressive as its actually so close to Europe! I would definately go again, and no doubt would stay in the beaitiful Riad 02, and will without hesitation reccomend friends who are thinking of visiting this beautiful City.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple